• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Down side of owning parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Juggling visitor (boarders) dogs and birds' out time in an extremely small house with an open floor plan (someone always has to be caged and it's rotate, rotate, rotate, rotate). Wouldn't change it for the world!

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Being away from them is the only down side for me. I go through feathered withdrawl and I spend the whole time I'm away counting the seconds until I can get back. Vacations are much the same. I never go away for my than just a few days because I a) dont trust anyone with my babies and B) dont trust my babies not to wreak havok on my room once they figure out how to get out the cage.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I worry a lot about when I'm ill and stuff.. also since I'm so sick all the time I really do worry way too much about what will happen with them when I die.

I spend so much time making food for them that I don't feel like making anything for myself and good food is important for humans too. I guess I could just eat their mash..

I love them .. and they love me.

- Sarah

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I think the best thing we can do for the mess is "let it be". There will always be crumbs and feathers and dust, we can vacuum as much as we like but it will never be entirely gone. I accept the mess. I think the biggest factor is worrying, and vet bills. I have worried so much over the birds. My days are pretty much consumed about worry for Grim right now, worry about making the vet's appointment, worry about the anesthesia, worry about this and worry about that. And worry about their food, too. And if they're getting what they need. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to sit back and enjoy things, rather than worry over every little detail.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to sit back and enjoy things, rather than worry over every little detail.
That really would be nice.. :rolleyes:

- Sarah

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Oh, the Brazil nut shell damage to feet is well known at our house

Not being able to burn scented candles or insence

The noise sometimes - Ray's inside voice can be heard more than 100' away, not to mention his "not so quiet voice" - my hubby works rotating shifts

Emptying the shop vac of the wood shards, not chunks and expensive wasted pellets when Ray decides that throwing food is today's sporting event

Trying to find a birdy sitter when we have to go somewhere for more than that day and can't take them with

The damage they can do if we aren't vigilent

Moodiness can lead to damage or loss of any part of your body that sticks out

Explaining all the bird stands/gyms to Non-bird people

Windows with half eaten framework

When Ray decides to let himself out - THEN lets everyone else out and they open all the treat bags to have a party (problem fixed now with new cage!)

Trying to move a cage bigger than a Buick

Worrying what will happen to them if/when you pass away

Avian vets are more rare than the Hope Diamond and far enough away that you need to take a vacation day to drive there and back

Vet bills can result in a second mortgage

Clipping/trimming nails requires all day and a small army (Ray HATES his nails touched)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Emptying the shop vac of the wood shards, not chunks and expensive wasted pellets when Ray decides that throwing food is today's sporting event

Trying to find a birdy sitter when we have to go somewhere for more than that day and can't take them with

The damage they can do if we aren't vigilent

Explaining all the bird stands/gyms to Non-bird people

Windows with half eaten framework

Trying to move a cage bigger than a Buick

Worrying what will happen to them if/when you pass away

Avian vets are more rare than the Hope Diamond and far enough away that you need to take a vacation day to drive there and back
I can relate to each of these, and LOL'd about the Avian vet, which is sooo true for me, here in the middle of nowhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.