• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Down side of owning parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Never sleeping in again. EVER!!! And no more vacations (at this point).

Don't like the bloody wounds either. :(

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Not being able to have guests over unless they are willing to deal with the noise and the "strangeness" of sharing your life with birds.

OMG we NEVER have holidays at my house! I feel bad but my family is afraid of birds and really don't like to come over...oh well. LOL

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Not being able to talk on the phone with out explaining the noise.
LOL having to explain to my boyfriend (when I have one) and question if he likes animals, and what he is allergic to. LOL (I don't usually date lol)

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
The constant mess, of course, the dust all over everything including our electronics, its terrible sometimes. I feel like the house is never clean enough (and I only live with one right now! :p ) And there are some days they just get into EVERYTHING like little kids, you can't take your eyes off them-we were so glad for bedtime!

however, I wouldn't trade him for the world :)

Kathy

The constant mess, of course, the dust all over everything including our electronics, its terrible sometimes. I feel like the house is never clean enough (and I only live with one right now! :p ) And there are some days they just get into EVERYTHING like little kids, you can't take your eyes off them-we were so glad for bedtime!

however, I wouldn't trade him for the world :)

EXACTLY!!! I feel the same way about the dust and having to watch them every minute.
I have 3 dogs inside and it seems when the phone rings the birds and dogs let loose!! Sporty ringing his phone and says hello, ok, alright, and all the sounds of talking on the phone, the dogs are barking and playing and running around.. I have to explain all the noise and then when the phone call is over it seems they have decided to all clam up!
Beakner enjoys throwing food and toys from his playstand and the dogs are right there grabbing up everything.. then toys are set aside until I can wash them. I've been throwing wooden one's away because I didn't know if they were safe to give back to the birds..
I'm cleaning and worrying about my birds all the time!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hmmmm... The cockatiel dust (seems like everything gets dusty again even though I clean all the time, bird seed all over, cleaning up poop, not being able to wear perfume in my room, not being able to use candles or those warming oils.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I think the thing I miss the most is candles. Having that nice fragrance and the nice warm glow of a candle. I used to be big into partylite candles. Not anymore. But oh well. Might just get out my Holiday holders just to look pretty.
Another thing is using my non stick griddle and waffle iron inside. Have to step out on the back porch to use them now.:D Which during the winter isn't too fun.
And vacations don't happen anymore. Last year we didn't go camping a single time.:( And when we do go out of town I'm stressed like from a week before til the time I walk in the door and make sure everyone is ok.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I do not get a whole lot of destruction here. I dont know why, but all of my molding is perfect, and only my curtains get destroyed, but those are not permanent fixtures and I change them out pretty regularly.

I have had nothing of any importance destroyed from a bird. And I have right now.....

2 Cags
2 Macaw's (2nd comes sunday)
1 U2
1 Quaker
1 IRN
2 Tiels
3 budgies
1 lovie

and a partridge in a pear treee.......................

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I do not get a whole lot of destruction here. I dont know why, but all of my molding is perfect, and only my curtains get destroyed, but those are not permanent fixtures and I change them out pretty regularly.

I have had nothing of any importance destroyed from a bird. And I have right now.....

2 Cags
2 Macaw's (2nd comes sunday)
1 U2
1 Quaker
1 IRN
2 Tiels
3 budgies
1 lovie

and a partridge in a pear treee.......................
LOL I laughed hard at that! hahah

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
the mess and sometimes the noise

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Well between the birds and other pets going on vacation (even a overnighter) is REALLY DIFFACULT. Also never having a clean floor, vacuum and clean and it's a mess within an hour. Oh, and those nut shells REALY hurt when you step on them in your bare feet. My husband would say the screaming (they do most of it when he's home). It's kinda neat explaining to people on the phone that your not on vaccation in the jungle somewhere, that the noise is just your pet birds at home but I could do without the rare but occasional bloody hand from a bite. Besides all this there are way more plusses to the fids then negitives.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
*** Alex is always telling me to go poop or farts at me, so having anyone over..that gets embarrassing....Go Poop, Farts, bomb noises, then you hear Tiki scream heck* from another room.
OMG...I can't stop laughing. :hehe:

Worst part about parrots...trying to plan a vacation. My baby is 18, so the kids are self sufficient. It took me 6 months to find a bird sitter I would trust with them, and it cost less to board the dogs than have the fids fed and played with....Oh well, its only money!

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
The mess and changing out food bowls.

In the morning when I'm getting their food ready they know and scream for me to hurry up. I try to keep them in their own cage for the first feeding so they get enough food, otherwise a few of them not mentioning any name *coughaugieaubreydunkan* :rolleyes: will try to steal all the good stuff from everyone's bowls. So getting the bowls into their cages without an escape and a chase around the room every morning is a pain in the booty.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
cleaning the room, constantly (I only have to vaccum the birdroom 1 or 2 time a day) vet expenses, and constantly cleaning their cages, making sure they have fresh water, etc, cause the conures take a bath in their water dish every time I run the vaccum, so I have to change the water about 3 x a day.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, most of my birds are small so I don't have to deal with too much noise, although all of them together, a couple of times a day can get a little noisy, but it's nothing compared to what a lot of you deal with. For me, it is preparing the fresh food every morning. If it's cooked and ready it's no big deal. This past year I have worked to take better care of my birds. More fresh food, insead of once in a while. More attention, more out of cage time. I have learned a lot from these forums. But, it's been work, but for the most part, I really like it. In the morning I have to get up feed 10 dogs and then feed all my birds. Yesterday I didn't feel well when I got up, but it doesn't matter, they need to eat. Also, the cleaning. I hate cleaning and am a horrible housekeeper:(

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I keep mine flighted. As diligent as I am they still manage to destroy My doors and door frames which are stained natural wood They look awful, we will hopefully be getting a bit larger house soon so I guess I will just do the best I can at replacing the wood and matching the stain. It is going to cost me.
Its only a matter of time before Jack has my ceiling fans looking bad.
Then there is The POOP NEVER ENDING POOP.....
I'm lucky, mine are usually quite in the morning and I do have 2 people I trust who can watch them when I am traveling. My Job sends me on the road some.
But I do worry about it too much.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh yes vet expenses too!!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
The Too dust doesn't bother me. I HATE vacuuming so much that I replaced my carpet with hard wood floors LOL haha so that part of cleaning doesn't bother me anymore.
Sometimes the noise if I am sick and I have headache. BUT I am really good at tuning out haha.
The expense is a factor but I don't stress too much about it, it is what they need and I don't plan on having kids...so they are my kids :)

Ummm....I don't really like to look at the negative aspect, the glass is half full remember! And I enjoy my fids and other 4 legged babies soooooo much that it overrides the negativie aspect of having them.:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.