• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Beginnings of Barbering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've noticed since we moved that my Hahn's, Max, has been overpreening. But today, I noticed barbed feathers on the carpet around his cage (he was out on top of his cage all day). His left leg is not looking good. :( It looks barbed. There are several factors that I think could be contributing. 1) He is no longer in the room with Elvis, whom he used to talk to all day 2) The room he's in has poor lighting. I probably need to make more time for him too. Of course, when Mattie arrives, he'll no longer be isolated from others of his kind, although it remains to be seen how he'll respond to her presence. I can also get more lighting for the room. I'm going to do the best I can, but if anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts, I welcome them. Most of you know how precious he is to me. Needless to say, this has me very concerned...:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: I'm so sorry. I don't have any words of advice but I'm wishing you both the nicest of things.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why can you not have them all together again? That may help :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why can you not have them all together again? That may help :)
Max loves to be out of his cage and so does Elvis. They can't be out together; they are both fully flighted, and she might hurt or kill him. As much as he loves her, she does not like him or any other small bird. I had a close call back in the winter when he flew and landed on her cage, and I vowed he'd never be in the same room with her again. So, he's currently in the room with the p'lets. His new macaw roomie will arrive shortly, though. And if they bond, it'll be a godsend... If not, it could make a bad situation worse.

Prayers and good thoughts are welcome, everyone.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
:hug8:

I think when Mattie gets there it'll help a lot. I had to remove Duncan from the bird room and his big cage for 2 months so he could completely heal. He barbed his feathers pretty good the last few weeks... It has been over a week since he has been back in the bird room and with his birdie friends and his feathers are looking a lot better. Maybe if you added extra toys and have the TV or radio on for him while you can't be with him might also help.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:

I think when Mattie gets there it'll help a lot. I had to remove Duncan from the bird room and his big cage for 2 months so he could completely heal. He barbed his feathers pretty good the last few weeks... It has been over a week since he has been back in the bird room and with his birdie friends and his feathers are looking a lot better. Maybe if you added extra toys and have the TV or radio on for him while you can't be with him might also help.
Thanks, Nikki. :) I am hoping that Mattie will be a help. He does love the girl macaws. He doesn't seem to register the radio, or the p'lets or anything else, though...

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:( I am going through the same thing with Regan. Good luck to you.:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And good luck to you and Regan, Marlene :hug8:

I've got three lamps in the room right now. There is no overhead light. I can hang a lamp from a hook, though, and I think I'm going to do that this weekend. The lamps are not cutting it...

:(
Can he be in the living area with you?
That's where Elvis's play area is. Also, there are the cats...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The lighting will help and is a good idea for many reasons. Max needs his flock. The sooner Maddie gets there the better. I sure hope they hit it off and become buds and form their own mini flock. :hug8:

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
I'm going through the same thing with my Golden Conure! It started w/ barbering and now she's starting to puck her legs. I'm making some new toys, the vet says let her wings go out, more showers, and I'm going to build a small outdoor aviary. The behavior may have increased when I got my BE2 but it's hard to say. It's a delicate balance that's for sure. Keeping them entertained, optimally healthy, and well sunned is a lot! Hang in there.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The lighting will help and is a good idea for many reasons. Max needs his flock. The sooner Maddie gets there the better. I sure hope they hit it off and become buds and form their own mini flock. :hug8:
Thanks, John. :hug8: She should be here next weekend. I hope they hit it off too. I've seen pairs of Hahn's play, and it's a thing of beauty.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have no advice beyond what has been suggested. Hahns are such social little guys that I bet he will love have Mattie around. :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no advice beyond what has been suggested. Hahns are such social little guys that I bet he will love have Mattie around. :hug8:
I look at that picture of Jasper and Tango, and it makes me think so all the more :)

pineview01

Rollerblading along the road
I've been making a bird room for my Too's. I took in a second U2 to be friends with the U2 I have. I wanted to get him away from the Macaw for health reasons. The second Too was plucked when I got him. He had been getting better. When I took him out of isolation, he started to pluck again. He finely stopped and had the most feathers since I brought him home.

Day before yesterday I took him to the bird room and when I looked there were feathers on the fool. Took him in today again just to find all the rest that had grown in gone.:sad7:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been making a bird room for my Too's. I took in a second U2 to be friends with the U2 I have. I wanted to get him away from the Macaw for health reasons. The second Too was plucked when I got him. He had been getting better. When I took him out of isolation, he started to pluck again. He finely stopped and had the most feathers since I brought him home.

Day before yesterday I took him to the bird room and when I looked there were feathers on the fool. Took him in today again just to find all the rest that had grown in gone.:sad7:
Aw, I'm so sorry :hug8: I know how disheartening it is. Since I posted this thread, Max has barbed all of his belly and chest feathers. It took him a few days to do the whole job. :( It's so strange how sudden it is. When they decide to do it, they just do it...

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:( I'm sorry Holiday. I'm sure he will take to Maddie right away. She will be new, interesting, and just as vocal as himself. I'm sure he'll have a hard time NOT registering her :D

Hang in there, feathers grow back. Help is on the way for him, and you've done everything you can in the mean time to comfort him. He's so lucky to have such a caring and devoted mom!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( I'm sorry Holiday. I'm sure he will take to Maddie right away. She will be new, interesting, and just as vocal as himself. I'm sure he'll have a hard time NOT registering her :D

Hang in there, feathers grow back. Help is on the way for him, and you've done everything you can in the mean time to comfort him. He's so lucky to have such a caring and devoted mom!
Thanks, Natalie :hug8: No matter what you do, when this happens, you feel like a failure. :( But, I'm not about to give up. He and I are going to fight this thing; we're going to do the best we can. And, one thing is for sure: I love the little guy more than anything, so even if this ends up being his "new look," he will be loved unconditionally just the same as if every feather were perfect.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Aw, I'm so sorry :hug8: I know how disheartening it is. Since I posted this thread, Max has barbed all of his belly and chest feathers. It took him a few days to do the whole job. :( It's so strange how sudden it is. When they decide to do it, they just do it...
This is so true....With Jade, she came to us plucked, grew all her feathers back and then overnight they were all gone again...I was so sad. SHe did grow them back (a few bald spots on her belly where she might never get feathers), but I worry every day that she will start again.

Luckily now she is downstairs with all the other birds and is in the sunroom quite a bit, in and out of her cage....the sunlight, the views, all of this seem to be enjoyed by her....hope it continues! But if now, back to square one and we will try again!

Status
Not open for further replies.