• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Argument With My Mom

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
AND the human. You could easily roll over onto your bird as they come in to snuggle. We've read that sad story a few times on here :(
Rolling office chairs is one I have heard of way too many times with birds in bedroom and office environments- same as reclining chairs are a serious issue for birds in many loungerooms. The danger list is huge and will be different for each persons bedroom, loungeroom etc- just not worth allowing free roaming full time unless the human lives in an aviary lol

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
As long as he has plenty of things within reason to keep him busy and enrich his life being inside shouldn't be horrible. You can let him out in your room and bring him downstairs when mom says it's OK. As long as he gets time to hang out with you outside his cage he'll adjust and be fine.
Dobby has learned that we work and he's allowed out in the evening when we are settled and not running in and out of the house. We lost Lurch because we would leave him out and sister came home and checked to see that he was sleeping top of his cage. She ran out to grab the groceries and he woke up and went to see who was home and flew out the open door. After that when we got Dobby the protocol changed so not out till it's safe. If you have dogs or cats another reason to be very careful about out time because prey drive is strong with them.
We don’t have cats and dogs because my step dad doesn’t like animals much, luckily we have a bird in the house, how we got him was one of my friends had a pet bird and it’s been awhile since my older step sister had Mickey which was a dog she had in the house which my step dad took care of because she didn’t take care of Mickey so she ended up giving him away to another owner. I haven’t heard from since. My mom thought I was becoming more responsible in a way so she thought I can have a pet bird but under her rules because of my step dad who doesn’t like animals, then I thought well maybe since he doesn’t want it in certain areas maybe he can be let loose in my room, but yeah like someone said in the comments I have to watch out for him chewing wires or something. So I don’t think would be a good idea.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think I'm confused.

To clarify - The cage is not in your room. You want to be able to offer Cosmo more out of cage time. He's not going to be out 24/7 in your room, you're just wanting to let him out of the cage to hang out in your room so he gets more free time. Is that correct?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Oh, Your bird is housed in the house and not in your room? Ok. So what about if you took your bird into your bedroom for some extra out of cage time on top of that out of cage time in the house that your mum allows?
I don’t know if I can convince her, my mom got mad at me for cleaning my desk area for him to fit by. I would have to see and keep trying to fix the areas for now before hand.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I think I'm confused.

To clarify - The cage is not in your room. You want to be able to offer Cosmo more out of cage time. He's not going to be out 24/7 in your room, you're just wanting to let him out of the cage to hang out in your room so he gets more free time. Is that correct?
I have the cage my room but my mom doesn’t want me to have him out of the cage unless she says so in her conditions. Which includes not me not taking him out in my room. Which doesn’t make sense because my mom let me have the cage in my room because my older step sister has kids of her own and she doesn’t want it downstairs.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you asked your mum what the reasoning is for not wanting the bird to be let out in your room while being supervised?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have the cage my room but my mom doesn’t want me to have him out of the cage unless she says so in her conditions. Which includes not me not taking him out in my room. Which doesn’t make sense because my mom let me have the cage in my room because my older step sister has kids of her own and she doesn’t want it downstairs.
OK. I think I'm caught up.

Did she give you a reason for not wanting Cosmo out other than specific times she says it's OK? What's the total amount of time she's allowing?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Have you asked your mum what the reasoning is for not wanting the bird to be let out in your room while being supervised?
My mom said she is afraid of him falling, which I can understand for now that he still doesn’t fly well since we got him. We are gonna take him to the vet in dec 1st to see if he is ok which I argued with my mom about luckily he has that appointment because I told her to take him in case. But yeah I’m worried as well for him if he needs the exercise or not.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
OK. I think I'm caught up.

Did she give you a reason for not wanting Cosmo out other than specific times she says it's OK? What's the total amount of time she's allowing?
It’s not specific but I feel like only couple of minutes each time she takes him out per day which is usually 2 sometimes 3

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can your bird fly?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Cosmobird Just so you are aware. If this is a new bird. And that bird in your profile pic is your bird. They are heavily clipped, and cannot fly.
You will have to wait for the feathers to grow back before full flight function is regained.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Can your bird fly?
He kind of does, I think his wing is clipped on one side from the person who sold us the bird which I think the person kept to many of the birds together stuck in the cage when I saw them, and Cosmo was missing some feathers and my mom wanted to pick another one as I was stuck on him because I felt bad for him because he looked the most lost in feathers, also when I carried him he was very friendly so I went for him. The guy who sold us also told my mom he eat seeds and pellets which on the first day he didn’t because my mom gave him normal food blended in bland with vegetables and other stuff and fed to him in a syringe, luckily I had the syringe incase. But yeah that’s another long story.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
@Cosmobird Just so you are aware. If this is a new bird. And that bird in your profile pic is your bird. They are heavily clipped, and cannot fly.
You will have to wait for the feathers to grow back before full flight function is regained.
I know he has it clipped I was planning on having him able to fly though later on so he can be free and happy in a way in the house like some YouTubers I watch. But yeah I know it takes training for them to be like that though.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If your bird is heavily clipped as I think it may be then I tend to agree with your mum about less time out of cage- he is likely to attempt to fly and crash... not a good thing to have happen at all for the safety of your bird.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mom said she is afraid of him falling, which I can understand for now that he still doesn’t fly well since we got him. We are gonna take him to the vet in dec 1st to see if he is ok which I argued with my mom about luckily he has that appointment because I told her to take him in case. But yeah I’m worried as well for him if he needs the exercise or not.
I do have to agree with your mother then, if he can't fly. Birds can be very seriously injured if they fall.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I do have to agree with your mother then, if he can't fly. Birds can be very seriously injured if they fall.
Yeah I know he can’t now, but I wanted to plan on him having room in the future though when he gets bigger. Which I read online, for the wings to grow back can go from 6 to 18 months I think which can sometimes be almost a year depending on how fast he grows them back. But until then I’ll just still think of ideas till he gets his wings back.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
If your bird is heavily clipped as I think it may be then I tend to agree with your mum about less time out of cage- he is likely to attempt to fly and crash... not a good thing to have happen at all for the safety of your bird.
I know I don’t want him to get hurt, but later on when he grows which will be with maybe a year about or more depending how fast he grows the wings back, I’m hoping he does. He can be able to roam happy.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
He can still have exercise with his wings clipped make a play gym on the outside of his cage lots of climbing opportunities with rope perches and different size perches close together foraging opportunities he as to climb to

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
He can still have exercise with his wings clipped make a play gym on the outside of his cage lots of climbing opportunities with rope perches and different size perches close together foraging opportunities he as to climb to
I would like that maybe like a climbing perch area for him to climb and go up stairs and go back down.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I would like that maybe like a climbing perch area for him to climb and go up stairs and go back down.
I meant on the outside of his cage @Pixiebeak as some amazing ideas
IMG_6200.jpeg
I have boings rope perches toys dotted about my cage on outside