• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrified to Come Out of Cage

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Hi everyone! It's been a while. The good news is, since I last posted, my budgies came off of their meds for AGY and they appear to be doing much better. They're eating more, and are wayyy noisier, making tons of chatter and singing! Not that I'm complaining ;)

My current dilemma is that I'm still having issues getting my budgies to come out of the cage. They step up just fine inside the cage, but if I try to take them out, they immediately hop/fly away and into the back corner. I was trying to clean some of their perches tonight, and both of them got nervous (I was using a new scrubbing pad they've never seen before) and flew out of the cage. They're okay, all doors, windows, and blinds were closed, and they wound up perching on top of the cage. Problem was, it was a nightmare trying to get them back in because they were completely terrified! Thankfully, one of my budgies is a little piggy and loves snacks so after the initial fear wore off, he caved and climbed onto my hand to get some millet and I got him back into the cage before he could take off again.

But my other little guy.. Oh man. I so much as reached for him and he took off. Twice more, he finally stayed in one spot, but every time I extended my finger, he'd back away. He'd back away from me, all toys and perches, even millet. I feel horrible because I wound up having to grab him (gently!) and move him back into the cage because he was panicking and starting to breathe pretty heavy. It was freaking me out too and I wasn't sure of what else to do at that moment.

I bought a clicker so I'm hoping starting clicker training will help with this, but does anyone else have any suggestions for what I can do to help this process? I want them to get out of their cage more and to be comfortable/enjoying it when they're out, but I'm not even sure of where to start with these two. They're also my first birds, so any advice is much appreciated.

On the bright side of this, my little guys seem to finally be having their very first molt! My carpet is covered in little white feathers right now. :heart:

Last edited:

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I currently have the same issue with my budgies. They're still in the process of being tamer, as one was a store-bought budgie and totally "wild". Nowadays when I let them out of the cage, I let them perch on the window grill of closed windows to daydream and watch the world for a few hours. This is even if I've had to gently restrain them to let them out [also for cage cleaning purposes]. They're a lot calmer now and don't have as much an issue with coming out. They still spook easily, and they still sometimes hop back into the cage depending on their mood, but I've noticed they're not so afraid of being outside the cage.

I think the key here is ensuring that any out-of-cage time is not stressful for them, and that if you do want to take them out ensure that there is sufficient time for them to calm down while outside and observe their surroundings from a new point of view. [ie. don't let them out if you have only 15 minutes of free time to spare, look for a longer opening such as an hour or two] Keep an eye on all the possible high-up perches in your room and you may want to keep a ladder on stand-by in the room for when you do need to retrieve them. If you can, also anticipate where they might land and do a clean/ wipe of those places. You don't want them to land atop a cupboard and then realize that you haven't cleaned there for years and they might get dirt on them / inhale that dust. Play calming classical music that has no danger of being interrupted by sudden youtube advertisements when they are both in the cage and out-of-cage. [ I've made all these mistakes before... oops o///o ] If they do happen to get out unintentionally and you have time to spare, don't rush them back into the cage either. You'd be giving the cue that 'omg you're outside! quick get back in!'. Try to relax and let them calm down first.

As for cleaning, it would be better if you can remove the perches and clean them outside the cage. The scrubbing motion within the cage can be somewhat vigorous and make them uneasy. Its also better as a routine in case you do need to remove perches or items to disinfect them [ with hot water or a bird-safe disinfectant ] on a weekly or regular basis. In general, minimize stressful intrusions for them within the cage unless absolutely necessary, or they might still be wary of your hand due to the sudden jerky movements of scrubbing and wiping. The cage should continue to remain a safe space for them, or else they will see evidence of your hand still being untrustworthy.

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Sorry for the late reply! I really appreciate the advice. This week, I've been trying to do some baby steps with them. They're scared of their play gym I bought for them, so I've decided to just try to get them used to being outside of the cage in general, even if it doesn't mean playing elsewhere. I found a small perch that I screwed into their cage door so when I swing it open, and leave the door open, that perch sticks into the outside air. I also put a rope perch (one of their favorite types!) on the outside of the cage too. So far, it's been working well! They're a little antsy still, but they've started flying out of the cage to land on the perch attached to the door when I leave the cage open. Small progress is still progress! :)

I'm hoping this way too they can perch on it and be able to survey the outside world a bit and realize it's not so scary. Plus, if they do get nervous, the inside of the cage is only a couple hops away. Today they didn't need me to show them how to get back into the cage. They stepped up on their own and after moving them to the door perch (cage door open), they finally remembered how to get back in. They ate some millet I attached above the new perch and then flew back in.. Flew back out.. Repeat for a while. They took it really well today which was awesome! Sometimes I worry that the bond I have with them isn't strong enough yet or that I'm not doing enough for them but seeing them finally getting comfortable at least perching just outside of the cage makes me feel relieved.. I'm hoping soon they'll get even more used to it so I can take them out more. They deserve more comfortable outside time!

Their cage is in a bedroom so the highest point is the curtain rod, so thankfully I don't have to worry about them landing on a tall cabinet or something or sliding down behind a dresser or anything (only furniture in the bedroom is a bed, a waist-high clothing dresser, and a chest-high bookshelf, so even if they do somehow manage to get behind it, it'll be easy to scoot it out to help them).

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Today they didn't need me to show them how to get back into the cage. They stepped up on their own and after moving them to the door perch (cage door open), they finally remembered how to get back in. They ate some millet I attached above the new perch and then flew back in.. Flew back out.. Repeat for a while. They took it really well today which was awesome!

There ya go! It really does take a lot of time for them to feel comfy in any different situation! When mine first began getting out and exploring, I would just let them stay out for as long as they did, but my limit was maybe 7 hours, when I'd be afraid they'd be getting hungry and thirsty! It seems when they are young, they really don't know how to fly down if they're up high, and vice versa. I like what @Gazimon said - pick a time when you have LOTS of spare time so you don't have to try to rush them back to the cage.

Also before I began confining mine to one room (UGH)... I used to run my fingernail down the cage and they would hear it and come back!

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Unfortunately I have to keep mine in one room too since there are other pets in the house and I don't want them to get hurt.

It seems when they are young, they really don't know how to fly down if they're up high, and vice versa. I like what @Gazimon said - pick a time when you have LOTS of spare time so you don't have to try to rush them back to the cage.
I've noticed mine have that problem but they're slowly starting to understand that they can do it. Mine are still pretty young (they're just now going through their first molt, woohoo!). Putting the perch on the cage door seems to have helped a lot because it's something they're familiar with and it seems to have encouraged them to fly a bit further out. They're beginning to fly out on their own now to sit on that cage door perch when I leave the door open.

They spent about 2 hours outside the cage last night, which is the longest they've ever stayed out, and they did great! They've never let me get super close to them aside from perching on my finger but Kiwi let me briefly brush the side of his head and nibbled on my shirt, both for the first time :heart:

June decided to be an acrobat last night too and climbed up the front of the cage and clambered all the way to the top. Took a brief flight lap around the bedroom before landing back on his cage.. without freaking out! Finally ;) He also hopped over to his playground I had bought for them, which he's been terrified of until now. No playing on it yet, but at least he checked it out so I'm hoping soon he'll decide to climb on board.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is great @miya - they are really making lots of progress! I agree that the perch on the cage door helped. I meant to say also that when Fiona stayed out longer than I thought she should, I would get the acrylic food dish from her cage and try to get her to step up on that, since she was still scared of my hands. Then s-l-o-w-l-y I would put her in the cage on the feeder, and then replace the dish after she stepped on her cage perch. I have some toys on mine's cage top, but I am so conscious of someone's budgie that was startled when the door opened, and caught his foot on something on top of cage and broke it. :( She thought it was a binder clip. Scary. You could put some millet over on that playstand too, and June might just be checking it out more intensely! ::: sneaky parronts, aren't we?) :p