• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming GCC?

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Recently, I got a gorgeous Turquoise GCC from a bird expo. I know, I know, not the best place, but I was desperate to find one and no breeders were available within a 8 hour drive. He isn't tame, and is also very stubborn and extremely picky. I am currently weaning him onto Harrison's bird pellets using their bird bread and he refuses to eat any of it. When I put my hand in the cage, even if it's very slowly, he will back into a corner and will not leave until I walk away. He won't let you touch him, or pet him, and will not step up. (if you can even get that close to him) What's a good way to tame him as well as help him overcome his fear of hands? Also, does anyone have tips as to how to encourage him to try new food? Thanks!

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Start with stick training. Even a lot of tame birds will not tolerate hands, especially in their cages.

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Thank you for your help! In the past week, I'ver actually managed to work with him a lot. I taught him to step up onto a wooden perch, target, and wave. What is the easiest way to get him to transition from stepping up onto the dowel onto my finger?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he isn't weaned, is there any possible way to give him back to the breeder to finish weaning??? Breeders should not sell unweaned chicks...

Will he take any treats from your hands? If he will, you can encourage him to step up onto your hand, laid down flat, using treats as a reward. Break it down into steps, i.e. he looks at you, reward, he moves his head towards you, reward, he moves his body towards you, reward, etc!

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
He will take treats from me, and does temporarily step up onto a stick, but will completely ignore my finger when i try to ask him to step up.
As with the weaning, we needed to wean him onto better pellets as the ones he was fed before weren't completely healthy. He is doing much better now!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've had great success teaching the bird to come towards me rather than asking for a step up.

Lets say there are two people, Person A (PA) and Person B (PB). They are standing 10' apart from each other and PA wants to shake PB's hand. Here are three different scenarios.

1. PA walks the 10' distance to PB and shakes their hand.
  2. PB walks the 10' distance to PA and shakes their hand.
  3. Pa and PB walk 5' towards each other and shake their hands.

Although the result, in essence, is the same, getting there is different in each step. I use #3 with birds who are not comfortable with me, however most people start with #1 (PA being you, PB being the bird) which may be too scary for new birds. Eventually, we want the birds to be at #2. (aka not afraid to come and seek out your presence!)

Hope that makes sense...

Anyway, basically, try and 'meet in the middle'. Don't ask for the step up. Go in "half way" with some treat your bird enjoys and allow your bird to come the other half! The more comfortable they become with you, the more you can ask for more... i.e. instead of just walking towards you for a reward, they need to touch your hand! Then, put a toe or two on your hand! Then a foot! Both feet? HERE! Lots of goodies!!!!!!

Give them the choice to choose, and but make your choice more appealing than the alternative! ;)

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Thank you so much! I will trying this as soon as possible, I will be sure to let you know if it works! What are some healthy treats to use for this? I usually use some small seeds, and occasionally banana because he doesn't like it as much,

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Try to get the bird used to you so they know that you're not a threat. My Turquoise GCC doesn't like anyone inside her cage when she doesn't want out and she'll let you know by a nip. When I first got Kai, I read to her so she gets to my voice. Also I sat near the cage, but not that close, to give her space, when I read out-loud. Every few days I moved closer and closer. I would move back a little if she showed she was a bit uncomfortable. I stuck with her boundaries. Although she was raised by a breeder and was already used to hands, I wanted to take it slow. She took treats from my hand and when she trusted me enough she tried to step up onto my finger. She was still learning to step up onto fingers but knew how to perch. Anyways, stick to his boundaries and pay attention to his body language. It might take a while but don't EVER rush it. In the long run, it's all worth the wait.

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Thank you so much for your tips! As it happens, my GCC is also named Kai, though he is a boy haha. He is totally comfortable with taking treats from me, and i am working on getting him to step up. Thank you!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's hard to determine what treats to use without experimenting first...

You can try....

Sunflower seeds (hearts, cut into quarters)
Nuts
Dried fruit
Millet
Safflower seeds (not ideal... some birds love them though!)
Fresh fruit
Or...?

Whatever he likes, don't allow him to have that in his diet, only use as treats. Handfeeding formula and regular food can also work if done right. You can try training before feeding times, but do not ever intentionally starve a bird to get behavior. (some well known trainers out there have recommended this technique which I do not agree with)