• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a frightened adult bird?

RedCarpetEclectus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Hey everyone,

I have adopted an adult frillback pigeon and he came from a home which had little interaction with them apart from feeding. He is an adult, but specific age (and sex, I call him a male) is unknown. He is very curious however he is very movement and hand shy. He has only been home for a few days, so the only thing i have done so far is, when he is in his roosting box, opening the door slightly and if he feels comfortable, opening it more and more gradually and closing it at any sign of discomfort. I have never worked with untamed birds and I am not sure how to go about taming one.

Thanks!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Time & patiences are going to be your best tools. Sit & chat quietly with him. Is he in a area that you can talk to him as you are passing by in your daily routine-this way he gets used to your household activity. Does he get all spooked out every time you reach in his cage? Don't push him-just let him get used to you going in & out of the cage doing the daily feeding & water changes. Figure out when he eats the most and when he seems the hungriest -thats when I offer special treats so he learns to trust the hand. bless you for taking him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What the other posts said, Time and patience, time and patience. My SnowPea was wild and freaked out when I caught/ rescued her..she was special and I knew it..after a few months I was able to pick her up and snuggle her, she's still Huff's and puffs at me sometime, but she's really laid back.. Pigeons are bluff masters,,, better than Ringneck parrots. Pics please!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a fuzzy cutie!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month