• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent tail bobbing help?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
tail bobbing?

yesterday i noticed my indian ringneck bobbing her tail like this (the link above)
I started panicking (it’s what I do best when I notice any changes in my parrot)
today the bobbing wasn’t AS noticeable but i could see her tail shaking a bit..

she’s been her usual self (although showing more hormonal behaviour)
and she’s also moulting at the moment.

when i searched up tail bobbing it said it was a symptom for respiratory problems or illness however my parrot thankfully hasn’t shown any other signs of illness. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow however I don’t know if I should go or not as the avian vets where I’m from are very expensive.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's in that maybe for me, she is fluffed..it is a little more than I expect in normal...
It is hard , cuz a little fluff when napping, and sometimes the tail moves a little is normal
I'd probably err on keeping the appointment.

Birds hide being sick , until they are so sick they can't. So while great normal behavior and eating doesn't let us know for sure .
It's a big help to track weight , as most will start dropping weight when sick , before they get so sick you see other symptoms. I use digital kitchen scale and just plop them in it

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
It's in that maybe for me, she is fluffed..it is a little more than I expect in normal...
It is hard , cuz a little fluff when napping, and sometimes the tail moves a little is normal
I'd probably err on keeping the appointment.

Birds hide being sick , until they are so sick they can't. So while great normal behavior and eating doesn't let us know for sure .
It's a big help to track weight , as most will start dropping weight when sick , before they get so sick you see other symptoms. I use digital kitchen scale and just plop them in it
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah.. I’ve decided that I am gonna go to the vet appointment!
She’s always looked very fluffy so I’m not very worried about that and she was also preening before I interrupted her hence why her feathers are ruffled.

Actually, now that you’ve mentioned it, I have been weighing her since June when she had her first egg and I just checked and usually she weighs 123g when i weigh her in the morning however since 5 days ago her weight has been 120g! It’s not much a difference but I think it’s worth mentioning to the vet!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Weigh her in the morning just to see trends.

Good luck hope it's nothing, or mild and caught early.

Molting is tough in them , I e read several eye pop science articles in all that gies on when they molt , organ shrinking, blood changes , increased metabolism. It is often when health issues show up . Or she might need extra calories and a little boost of protein, like nuts, a slice of boiled egg , a bump in food.

Lets us know how it all goes st the vet

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Weigh her in the morning just to see trends.

Good luck hope it's nothing, or mild and caught early.

Molting is tough in them , I e read several eye pop science articles in all that gies on when they molt , organ shrinking, blood changes , increased metabolism. It is often when health issues show up . Or she might need extra calories and a little boost of protein, like nuts, a slice of boiled egg , a bump in food.

Lets us know how it all goes st the vet
Back from the vet!

The vet said she’s healthy except when she checked her heart beat she said that she could hear crackles that isn’t very normal so it could be some sort of infection… She said it’s nothing to worry about at the moment and thankfully it’s easily treatable

They gave two (extremely overpriced) antibiotics to give her for a week daily.

Hopefully after the course of antibiotics she’ll be perfectly fine <3

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
What is the name of antibiotics?

I think hearing crackles definitely goes with slight increased respiratory effort , you noticed with tail. Good job!

Hopefully top notch quick as csn be!

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
What is the name of antibiotics?

I think hearing crackles definitely goes with slight increased respiratory effort , you noticed with tail. Good job!

Hopefully top notch quick as csn be!
Thanks! I hope so!
One is called ‘synulox palatable drops’ which she has to take 0.3ml of and the other is ‘metacam’ which she has to take 0.08ml of.