• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprise! Well...kinda.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
At some point they will want to have a mate, so far I had only one not part of the siblings she quickly put dibs on him they have a separate cage, the new kids when ever they hear sunshine that wants nothing to do with them they go nuts , so I'm guessing a few girls in the middle of the five looking for a mate. And that is how you end up with 11 birds, I heard someone else ended up with 400. I need to be careful, have two bounded pairs .
Birds don't automatically mate. :) And if they start laying fertilized eggs, there's always lupron. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Holy moses. Yeh I'm gonna be getting some dummy eggs, I'm not gonna be having anymore babies after this. The oldest is only a week old right now so I think I have a little time :hehe: I'm sure there will be mated pairs eventually. Nooooo more babies though. I think having 6 budgies will be more than enough. Thank lord my cockatiels don't like each other. If they had babies I don't think I would know what to do with myself. But that's what I have dummy eggs for them. :p
So sorry that the lil' one passed. :( :hug8:

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
PC220439.JPG PC220440.JPG PC220442.JPG PC220443.JPG
He was trying to get into my sleeve when i was taking his picture :p

He PC220444.JPG PC220445.JPG PC220446.JPG
This is probably my favorite picture of these guys. The rest of the nest is doing good, they are pretty pink still, but everyone's eyes are open. :) The oldest pictured above is 12 days old.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Yes all four of them are doing great :)
Very glad to hear it. They are looking so cute. Can't wait to see their colors come in! :)

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I'm sorry you lost the runt. I had a runt calico kitten that the others had pushed aside. She grew into the most beautiful cat. I'm sorry your little one didn't make it.
Your other 4 are looking good!

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Ah cute in a funny way. Cant wait to see the them all with their feathers . Mind were with me at all times from trying to get out of the egg to the late night feedings, had to turn on a small light so the parents could load up on more food, still the middle of the night happens now that they are grown up. They are so precious !!

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Birds don't automatically mate. :) And if they start laying fertilized eggs, there's always lupron. :)
Birds will mate if the conditions are correct and they have a suitable mate. Some speices have a very strong drive to breed and will breed out of season as well as long as they is a good supply of food so keeping males and females seperated can be a good idea to prevent further babies being born.
Medical intervention such as Lupron should only be used as a last resort, where environmental and diet changes have not worked, as all drugs have their own side effects and risks.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Please make sure you add a soluble multivitamin supplement to the water. Make sure it contains Vitamin D3 and Calcium. After this lot the hen's calcium levels will be close to depleted. If the hen decides to lay again and her calcium levels remain exhausted it may cause egg binding and by providing a multivitamin to the water will help to rejuvenate her supplies. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
Birds will mate if the conditions are correct and they have a suitable mate. Some speices have a very strong drive to breed and will breed out of season as well as long as they is a good supply of food so keeping males and females seperated can be a good idea to prevent further babies being born.
Medical intervention such as Lupron should only be used as a last resort, where environmental and diet changes have not worked, as all drugs have their own side effects and risks.
Dummy eggs and monitoring is going to be happening.

Please make sure you add a soluble multivitamin supplement to the water. Make sure it contains Vitamin D3 and Calcium. After this lot the hen's calcium levels will be close to depleted. If the hen decides to lay again and her calcium levels remain exhausted it may cause egg binding and by providing a multivitamin to the water will help to rejuvenate her supplies. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.
I've been doing this for awhile now.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Precious!!!! :heart: :heart: So beautiful!! More photos please :D

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Oh My Gosh! They have grown so beautiful! Yay! More pics......plz. :laughing12: :laughing12: :laughing12:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Almost 4 weeks old. I cant believe how big they have gotten. I've named the one Elsa. She is a beautiful little girl. The rest noses are still turning. :)
Omg, they're beautiful!! Are they going to live with their parents?

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
Omg, they're beautiful!! Are they going to live with their parents?

I think so yes. I had them in that tub so I could change the bottom of the cage. I don't have a nest box for them so I'm scared of them falling out of a makeshift one. I'm trying to figure out how they are gonna learn to fly and wean themselves. Parents are still taking care of them fully though,

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I just found this thread and fully enjoyed reading it and watching your babies grow. I hope you keep posting photos. It seems you'll be keeping all the babies? Or will you find a home for some of them?

What do the parents look like? I think waiting for the colors to show must be so exciting. Do you have any guesses at what they'll look like?

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
They are absolutely adorable. They look like they've been dusted with snow x3. I'm sorry the 5th one passed, but the others seem to be thriving.