• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprise! Well...kinda.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
I've been keeping this a secret the past week and a half, but I have some interesting news. My male and female budgie are going to be proud parents if all goes well. Dusty laid 5 eggs, and 4 of them are fertilized. I observed them and they had little pulses and everything, it was amazing! I hope they come out healthy and I can't wait to watch them grow. Any advice for them would be wonderful. I'm going to be getting some baby bird food and some supplies tomorrow since they are due to hatch sometime at the end of next week. *crosses fingers*. My main concern is keeping them warm, since I don't have a heating pad, but it's almost 80 degrees in my room day round because I have a heater going. Please refrain from negative comments. This is a really exciting thing for me and my mother.

I don't have a heating pad, so where would be the best place to buy one? I have one but it's only for back pain and stuff, and it turns off after 15 minutes. I was hoping to help raise them so what would be the best way to go about it?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
If the parents are doing a good job, I would let them keep doing their job. Handfeeding is a very challenging task and there are so many things that could go wrong-- I wouldn't attempt it without the supervision and help of somebody much more experienced. That said, however, it is a very good idea to keep handfeeding formula and all of the necessary supplies (thermometer comes to mind) just in case the parents decide to abandon the babies, attack them, etc. I would read up as much as possible on it but ONLY do it as a last resort, if necessary. Once you start reading about it you'll see that so many things can go wrong... hot spots in food, crop burn, sour crop, aspirating, etc. It's scary stuff :(

For emergency purposes it's also important to make sure you are prepared to set up a brooding cage for them (again, in case something goes awry with the parents). A small space where you can keep the babies warm and huddled, a heat lamp or heat panel to keep them warm. Avitech makes excellent heating lamps and panels (I think they even have one that sets up over a fish tank cage for hospital / brooding cage purposes). A lot of companies now also make those heating pads for back pains like you said but that last longer and you can wrap in a towel and put at the bottom of the cage for extra warmth.

Make sure you are feeding the parents very well! They are using up a lot of energy and sharing their food at this time. Lots of healthy foods, more protein, more calcium, leafy greens, high energy foods, etc. They've got a big job ahead of them :) :hug8:

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
If the parents are doing a good job, I would let them keep doing their job. Handfeeding is a very challenging task and there are so many things that could go wrong-- I wouldn't attempt it without the supervision and help of somebody much more experienced. That said, however, it is a very good idea to keep handfeeding formula and all of the necessary supplies (thermometer comes to mind) just in case the parents decide to abandon the babies, attack them, etc. I would read up as much as possible on it but ONLY do it as a last resort, if necessary. Once you start reading about it you'll see that so many things can go wrong... hot spots in food, crop burn, sour crop, aspirating, etc. It's scary stuff :(

For emergency purposes it's also important to make sure you are prepared to set up a brooding cage for them (again, in case something goes awry with the parents). A small space where you can keep the babies warm and huddled, a heat lamp or heat panel to keep them warm. Avitech makes excellent heating lamps and panels (I think they even have one that sets up over a fish tank cage for hospital / brooding cage purposes). A lot of companies now also make those heating pads for back pains like you said but that last longer and you can wrap in a towel and put at the bottom of the cage for extra warmth.

Make sure you are feeding the parents very well! They are using up a lot of energy and sharing their food at this time. Lots of healthy foods, more protein, more calcium, leafy greens, high energy foods, etc. They've got a big job ahead of them :) :hug8:
Thank you! Yes I have made a list of things to keep in mind, because of how tiny they are going to be, it was going to be a last resort thing. My budgies are so, so stubborn and won't try anything new, same with my cockatiels. I'm definitely going to try and convince them though. Maybe I can find a mash that they might like. So much to do! I'm looking forward to it though. If I do have to help the babies out, should I wear gloves to keep any human germs off of them? I'm not sure on how easily things get passed between people and baby birds.

Kaylea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kaylea
Wow sounds verry exciting. Congrad

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks so much! That guide is gonna be great. :) I have tried to find similar ones, but there is just so much stuff on the internet.
There are plenty of guides, but I think that one is clear, well-written, and has good pictures, and for somebody that only plans to hand feed if absolutely necessary, I think it focuses on the right things too-- what you should be doing, assuming the parents are doing their jobs, and how to be prepared.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
are the parents used to you and like you because if you try to coparent with fearful parents it won't really work. also...these are babies and totally utterly completely dependent on you. be SURE to have money and time set aside for vet care if needed ...also maybe ask coworkers or friends if theyd be willing to give you a ride to the vet if needed. i'd go to petco for a heating pad

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
are the parents used to you and like you because if you try to coparent with fearful parents it won't really work. also...these are babies and totally utterly completely dependent on you. be SURE to have money and time set aside for vet care if needed ...also maybe ask coworkers or friends if theyd be willing to give you a ride to the vet if needed. i'd go to petco for a heating pad

Excellent point. Yes, it is so imperative that at this time you are able to take them to the vet IMMEDIATELY when necessary. I know that when Leela was sick you had some issues with your mother agreeing to take you to the vet so please have a contingency plan, and then another one to boot. Every minute wasted at this early stage in life is precious and could be the difference between life and death.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Besides appropriate heat humidity is also needed

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats, Alex!
I agree, please make sure you have plans in case one needs to see a vet. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope all runs smoothly for you and the birds. Hope you included a camera in the supplies!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:) Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know how the parents are doing!! How exciting for you. :)

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
She isn't using a nest box, should I get her one to use? She has a little nest made on the bottom of the cage. I put down safe shavings and a tshirt to help out. I didn't want the babies legs getting splayed. I still haven't seen her feed him yet, but it's only been a few hours. Hoping something will happen soon. Dusty is keeping him plenty warm. Watson isn't really caring about it at all. I will be going to petsmart tomorrow to pick up supplies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
She isn't using a nest box, should I get her one to use? She has a little nest made on the bottom of the cage. I put down safe shavings and a tshirt to help out. I didn't want the babies legs getting splayed. I still haven't seen her feed him yet, but it's only been a few hours. Hoping something will happen soon. Dusty is keeping him plenty warm. Watson isn't really caring about it at all. I will be going to petsmart tomorrow to pick up supplies.

Are the babies on the grate? They should definitely have a flat surface, as you said, so that their legs so not become splayed. That's very important. Nest boxes are grate for that reason, but also because they can keep the babies in a small space that is safe and warm, shielded from drafts. However, at this point, it might do more damage to be moving them. Try to slip a flat surface under them (maybe cardboard)? Hopefully she starts feeding him soon. I'm not sure what exactly is the standard but at this early stage they need to be fed quite frequently.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
Are the babies on the grate? They should definitely have a flat surface, as you said, so that their legs so not become splayed. That's very important. Nest boxes are grate for that reason, but also because they can keep the babies in a small space that is safe and warm, shielded from drafts. However, at this point, it might do more damage to be moving them. Try to slip a flat surface under them (maybe cardboard)? Hopefully she starts feeding him soon. I'm not sure what exactly is the standard but at this early stage they need to be fed quite frequently.
Nope, they aren't on a grate. I filled the bottom pan with shavings a week ago to help her be more comfortable. I made a little nest bowl shape so she can hunker down in with them. i read on a Budgie forum that they can take up to 8 hours to be fed. He is very active and making lots of peeping noises, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. This is so nerve wracking.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Nope, they aren't on a grate. I filled the bottom pan with shavings a week ago to help her be more comfortable. I made a little nest bowl shape so she can hunker down in with them. i read on a Budgie forum that they can take up to 8 hours to be fed. He is very active and making lots of peeping noises, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. This is so nerve wracking.

That sounds good :) Keep a watchful eye and keep us updated too!!