• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure biting

vdelgado87

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vincent Delgado
Hi everyone! I am new to this community.

I just got a sun conure recently, about a couple weeks ago, she is 6 months old. She adjusted quite quickly, and became comfortable in a matter of a week. Once I felt that both she and I were comfortable, I put two fingers in the cage slowly. She nibbled them softly and licked them, it caused little to no pain. After about a week or so of her being in the house, I could put my hand in there to adjust stuff in her cage without her trying to bite or attack my hand. She would even come to me, preen herself when I was in the room, scream when I’d leave, and take food from my hand. It was going good up until sometime last week. She got a new cage, which is much bigger than her last, and has plenty of room. She has a lot of toys, the cage is cleaned regularly, food and water is changed daily, and the doors are always open so she can come out whenever she wants.

Now, she’ll still come to my hand, but, when I put my hand out to her, she will squeeze it hard, and it leaves a pretty deep dent, but no blood. At first when she would nibble gently, I could tell it was most likely her just beaking me. But now, I can’t tell if she’s biting, or just beaking hard and doesn’t realize it hurts. She’s never aggressive when she “bites” (no lunging, no fluffed feathers, no open beak, no screaming.) I have never hit her, flicked her beak, or anything of the sort. I have heard blowing on the face is a harmless form of discipline, but I am afraid I will break what bond/trust we already have so I have not done it.

So, my question is, is she beaking me but doesn’t realize that it’s hurting me, or is she trying to actually bite me? And will it eventually get better over time? Am I doing something wrong?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's young and my guess it that she's figuring things out. I would let her come out of her cage on her own and if you need to pick her up, for now, try teaching her to step up on a perch instead of your hand. And I wouldn't blow on her face. Punishment doesn't really work on birds. Instead you want to focus on positivie reinforcement. Rewarding her for good behavior, not punishing her for bad. And welcome to the forum!

vdelgado87

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vincent Delgado
Thank you! I think I’ve found the problem. She’s just cranky in the first couple hours of the morning, and near bed time. Just a couple minutes ago, she came to my hand by herself and climbed up my arm onto my shoulder. She started nibbling my ears gently, she goes after my freckles sometimes, she must think they’re dirt that won’t come off. she gave me a couple nuzzles, and beaked my hand without hurting me to climb back onto it. She’s back in her cage now being her normal messy, toy-destroying self.