• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Aggression in lovebird, HELP!

Az97

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
Ive had Kiwi for a year now, got her when she was a month old. We have such an inseparable bond together, she has always been very aggressive with anyone that’s not me. But when it comes to me, she hardly ever bites me. I decided to babysit my moms lovebird and had them in separate cages but in the same room. Kiwi was pretty mad the entire time trying to fight with the other bird. I didn’t give either bird any attention other than feeding them and whatnot because I didn’t want them to get jealous of eachother. Fast forward a week, I gave my moms bird back to her. Now Kiwi won’t let me touch her at all!!! I open her cage and she lunges to my hand and bites me incredibly hard. When I open her cage, she comes out and follows me around the house. She will climb up to my shoulder and hang there. When she sees my hands she loses it and goes for the attack! What is happening?! I never did anything to hurt her or traumatize her & she has been under my care so I know no one did anything to her. This makes me so sad, what could it be?! She’s been in this state for a week now with no progress.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'll tag @Zara for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ana :)

At 13 months old, maybe hormones are kicking in and contributing to her behaviour towards you.

For now, just keep your hands away as to not trigger her, and try to have as many positive interactions as possible, offer up some millet spray or her fave treats.

@fluffypoptarts

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There’s also the fact that you brought another bird in and ignored her for a week. That’s some great fodder for a lovie grudge, especially for a hen. Keep trying to re-establish the normal routine with her.