• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Hi! I have a (possibly dumb) question; does Budgie poop smell?? I keep my cage pretty clean, wipe down daily, change paper every other day, wash everything down monthly.
Well I missed a day after dealing with a family emergency and I noticed a slight ... odor? Kind of sulpherous? A little rank. Is something wrong or is it normal for a couple days of poop to smell a bit?
Ps: I have a single bird at the moment, in a 32”x22”x58” flight cage...

Many thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It shouldn't smell. It might be time for a vet check. Does it look normal?

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
It shouldn't smell. It might be time for a vet check. Does it look normal?
hi thanks for responding! It looks like this. (This is third day poop build up) to me it looks pretty normal. I havebeen trying to encourage fresh food though and recently found small success with thin slices of carrot and apple. Also had mustard sprouts and pea sprouts available - though I didn’t see him eat any, he might have?
I cleaned everything today. Perches, toys, grate, lining, tray, food bowls etc. I detect no smell right now and will monitor over next day. Admittedly, I have a very sensitive smeller. I avoid perfumes and air fresheners and incense and such. So maybe I’m just oversensitive? But if it gets worse or persists I’ll have to find an avian vet in my area. Surprisingly few out there for such a big city and zero downtown have I found. Sigh. But I’ll need one anyways so..may as well start serious search now.
920CE336-7B9C-4B43-976E-000D359F1F8B.jpeg

Ingenarel

Meeting neighbors
hi thanks for responding! It looks like this. (This is third day poop build up) to me it looks pretty normal. I havebeen trying to encourage fresh food though and recently found small success with thin slices of carrot and apple. Also had mustard sprouts and pea sprouts available - though I didn’t see him eat any, he might have?
I cleaned everything today. Perches, toys, grate, lining, tray, food bowls etc. I detect no smell right now and will monitor over next day. Admittedly, I have a very sensitive smeller. I avoid perfumes and air fresheners and incense and such. So maybe I’m just oversensitive? But if it gets worse or persists I’ll have to find an avian vet in my area. Surprisingly few out there for such a big city and zero downtown have I found. Sigh. But I’ll need one anyways so..may as well start serious search now.
View attachment 382406
Is it ******* green?! I THINK IT IS
you might have a liver dysfunction

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like healthy poops to me. Well formed and a nice healthy green. I must say I've never known budgie poops to smell, even large buildups - but then I've never fed mustard sprouts.

@Ingenarel, there's no need for profanities, implied or direct. This is an international forum open to anyone who wants to read it, please watch what you post.

Last edited:

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Ya, no more smell, no weird looking poops - it was totally the mustard sprouts! The great news is that he IS eating some greens - as well as the carrot and apple. He is really a happy little guy who is starting to bond with me now and no more stinky poos!

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
yes, we had a real problem when we switched from seeds to pellets [using Xupreem Natural pellets], but when we added the Pretty Bird, Species Specific for Amazon and Cockatoo... then the poops STOPPED SMELLING! THANK GOODNESS!