• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stargazing in parrot?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys I am getting another bird and was wondering if this condition can be viral and can spread to other birds? I don't want to use the same food or something while this condition can be contagious should I use different food for my other bird?.
Getting another bird? How do I say this nicely...he11 no!! Please don't do that until you got your current bird figured out.
Listen to the advice of people on this forum, they are all very talented with birds. We are like a big family on here that look out for the welfare and safety of all birds. Sometimes it's not what you want to hear, but we are only looking out for you and the bird. We care that much.
We are all more than happy to guide you each step of the way in understanding and caring for your bird. But don't rush into another bird until you really think it through ok ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why did you original join AA? We sometimes have people join us wanting advice for a bird problem or other issues that will not take any advice offered. Is this you? If so there is no reason for any of us to continue giving you advice. I am feeling so very sorry for your bird now. If you make no attempts to rectify the damage that has been done to your bird then he is doomed to a life of stress and boredom. Very sad. I am leaving this thread because it has become too sad to read any more. I pray for the recovery of your bird. Please find your bird a new home and new people that will enrich his life and understand his needs. Also please don't take in any more birds.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have a highly intelligent, active, social bird in a tiny bare cage with no toys or enrichment. Your bird is going mad with boredom and stress.

This is the equivalent of locking you in a small bare room with no books, no phone, no internet, no TV, no computer, no paper or pens, and only a hard chair to sit on. It wouldn't take long for you to start pacing either.

If you love this bird - and I hope you do - fix his or her environment. Your bird needs toys to play with, branches to climb and chew, a bigger cage so it can actually move around and exhibit normal behaviours, foraging toys to keep it busy and mentally active.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys, I bought him more toys and even a coconut that has holes for you to put food/treats it and he hasn't even been showing stereotype behavior surprisingly ever since the toys. Hes been playing a lot more. I also am trying many ways to get him stimulating and he's pacing less now!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Mo Amjad Thank you for the update. I really appreciate you taking initiative and getting your little genius some more activities. It can't be stressed enough how important this is. Continue to buy toys and try rotating the toys so he won't get bored with the ones he has. It is your job to make everyday exciting and fun for him. :thumbsup:

He will also need quality time with you everyday. You are his flock.

Don't hesitate to ask us for more help and ideas. I look forward to seeing his new cage when you get it set up.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is the black netting for? Dont forget to let him out of the cage to play . Can you hang things for him to land on and add a bird stand? He should fly every day! Very important for health.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, I bought him more toys and even a coconut that has holes for you to put food/treats it and he hasn't even been showing stereotype behavior surprisingly ever since the toys. Hes been playing a lot more. I also am trying many ways to get him stimulating and he's pacing less now!
Great job mo! I'm happy for you and your bird! I knew you had a good heart. You'll begin to see the trust and bond soon. Play along with him, and never run out of toys. My birds look forward to a new toy weekly to add to their collection of a toy box full. We're here to guide you and help, and even buy you a beer now and then! :dance5:
Your on the right track! Kudos to you!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The more time you spend playing and interacting with your bird, the more you two will fall head over tail in love... There's no greater bond with a bird. You'll see, !!!

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
What is the black netting for? Dont forget to let him out of the cage to play . Can you hang things for him to land on and add a bird stand? He should fly every day! Very important for health.
The net is a seed catcher.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You could remove that. Most IRN will drop things straight down. Even for my parrotlets, who flick everything on the walls, I would never use a seed catcher. It seems like a potential hazard if they chewed it or got their toes/feet caught in it.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Broom and dust pan work better, a bit safer.
Just saying mo...I had one of those that came with a rescue bird back 30 years ago or so.
Had a rescued senegal get caught and tangled in it, hanging upside down screaming. Learned my lesson and threw that thing in trash! Scared the Crap out me. It was the first day home from a rescue in a bad situation, so hadn't had chance to get things set up....but stupid me, left that seed catcher on cage....bad idea. Senegal claws on feet got wrapped up in it, and his claws were needle sharp. He was alright, but I got bitten to heck getting him out! Had blood everywhere on my bitten up hand.
I would throw that away if I were you. Your choice, but trust me, it's not worth the heart attack of seeing bird caught in it. That comes from me, seeing it first hand experience!!!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also think you should remove that seed catcher. Bird could very easily get caught up in it and cant get out. We all have to clean up around the cage and beyond. The netting also may frighten and or interfere with your birds view of what is beyond the cage. I use a small hand vacuum cleaner to pick up feathers and other debris.

Want to give you an idea of what you can dangle from a ceiling. Yours would be larger because your bird is larger but its is something birds love. When do you get the new cage?

Attachments

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I also think you should remove that seed catcher. Bird could very easily get caught up in it and cant get out. We all have to clean up around the cage and beyond. The netting also may frighten and or interfere with your birds view of what is beyond the cage. I use a small hand vacuum cleaner to pick up feathers and other debris.

Want to give you an idea of what you can dangle from a ceiling. Yours would be larger because your bird is larger but its is something birds love. When do you get the new cage?

I second that with up most respect for safety of your bird.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Should I just place the seed catcher on the bottom area of the cage?.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You don't need it mo, trust me...not worth it.
Just a broom and dust pan..sweep seeds up after he eats... Much better. And far less worrying.
You see mo, those seed catchers, most, are nylon fabric, that won't break down if injested., And not sure they still make them, but much older seed catchers used use a metal hair like screen mesh, coated, and that could kill a bird if those hair like metal mesh fibers got inside bird.
Just saying, better to dispose of it. It just is not worth it. You want to catch seeds, place a metal tray under cage. But again, broom and dust pan is best cheapest option. Takes 30 seconds to sweep.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bet there are very few to no members using seed catchers on AA. When you are cleaning the cage and area around it you are also spending time with your bird.

Repeat question, how much out of cage time is your bird getting? How much is he flying?

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I bet there are very few to no members using seed catchers on AA. When you are cleaning the cage and area around it you are also spending time with your bird.

Repeat question, how much out of cage time is your bird getting? How much is he flying?
His cage door is open throughout the day almost every day. Have him out on me and my bed also for hours a day.