• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stargazing in parrot?

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
That is what's known as a stereotypic behavior. They usually start as a response to some sort of stress or deficiency in their environment. It can be seen in zoo environments and is commonly seen in pet parrots. What you'll commonly see is a parrot pacing on a perch and then they'll do a head turn or swivel once they get to the end and repeat. It's something that you may not be able to break him of, but you should try.

Training and adding more enrichment to his environment is going to be the key. You need to occupy his time more and engage that brain of his. Unfortunately simply being "out" isn't enough. Introducing foraging for him could help the situation, starting slowly and working up to more complex situations is going to be the key. Some birds will get it rapidly and some will need a slower progression. This is going to take some time and effort on your part, and is going to be a challenge since you don't know what started the behavior and it has become ingrained.

Check out Busy Beaks Academy on facebook and Good Bird Inc for foraging and training tips. Busy Beaks is run by Melody, one of the technicians for Dr. Brian Speer, she's amazing and has classes and will do consults via webcam. I can't say enough good things about what she does for her bird clients!!!
Thanks for your advice

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
One question. What do you mean by stereotypic behavior?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Towards an Understanding of Stereotypic Behaviour in Laboratory Macaques

Here's a link that has a good definition, it starts off talking about lab primates but the concept is the same for companion animals.

They are repetitive behaviors that usually result from some sort of outside stress. Sometimes it comes from illness but usually when we see it in captive animals it comes from a lack of stimulation and the animals develop it to cope. It's a lot

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What he is doing outside of the cage does not look like Stargazing. Agree with Milo that this just looks like repetitive type behavior and it is possible that he is bored. Did you watch videos of other birds who have been diagnosed with stargazing?
Warning...this is sad and a bit disturbing to watch.

Kodigirl210

Your IRN is suffering from zoochosis. Here is a concise definition:

Zoochosis is a word used to explain the stereotypical behavior of animals in captivity. The stereotypic behavior is described as an invariant, repetitive behavior pattern with no apparent goal or function. Animals in zoos and other forms of captivity suffer from stress and depression and display unusual behaviors.

It is a condition that is not formed over hours or days. This behavior happened because he was left in a cage that was too small, without interaction and without things to keep his mind busy for week upon week and month upon month.

It also why he no longer recognizes a difference between being out of a cage or in a cage because he’s been that way for so long his mind is stuck there all the time.

I hope you invest the time and energy to bring him back to where he should be. It is beyond sad to see him so. Please look into a larger cage, toys and activities that actually interest your bird and spend time with him and use the information given.

Wishing the best for the birb :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So in summary what is needed

Large cage
Enrichment by toys, foraging methods, perhaps music and sounds of other birds, puzzles, out of cage bird stands, climbing nets and ladders, things hanging from the ceiling he can fly to and land on.

Most important one on one time spent with you or other caring humans on a regular routine basis.

If your bird were a human he would be considered to have a mental illness. Please save him.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys I am getting another bird and was wondering if this condition can be viral and can spread to other birds? I don't want to use the same food or something while this condition can be contagious should I use different food for my other bird?.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wait. Why are you getting another bird before all of the environmental issues people have pointed out have been fixed? That's just asking for two birds with the same problem.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hey guys I am getting another bird and was wondering if this condition can be viral and can spread to other birds? I don't want to use the same food or something while this condition can be contagious should I use different food for my other bird?.
Why? You have 1 bird that isn't receiving proper care. Why do you feel like getting a second is a good idea? :pcwhack:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why are you getting another bird? Get the one you have now a larger cage and more fun things that he/she can interact with. Also have your ringneck get a complete check up: blood panel, culture, etc.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
^^^^^^AGREED^^^^ WT? You have bird that in cage that's too small. A bird that is great need of your time, attention and love. Another bird will not REPEAT NOT help the problem and may make it worse. Psychosis is not viral based, it's the Iack of postive attention, your time and your care that is causing the problem.
PLEASE RETHINK THIS THROUGH AGAIN, cuz it unfair to your current bird.

Kodigirl210

I was wondering can I house my Indian ringneck with a parakeet.

And I will say it again in here. You’ve already been told your cage is way, way, way too small to house your IRN. It’s so small that you’ve hurt your bird. If it’s TOO SMALL for your IRN, why would another bird be able to fit in there????? And why aren’t you taking care of Your IRN? He has no one else but you to help fix the problem You created!! Please do the right thing. Get a bigger cage. Help your IRN to have a better life instead of just adding more problems!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not a good decision at all. It is not a virus. Has nothing to do with food. What do you think will happen with another bird in your home? As i wrote previously, save the one you have before its too late. This bird needs fixing. Its just not fair to your current bird.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So let me get this straight- Your first bird is bored out of his mind, pacing with nothing to do. You already don't provide what he needs. If he's pacing like that, you're clearly doing something wrong. His cage is tiny, I wouldn't keep a single finch in that. You aren't listening to anything the members here are telling you.

So what are you going to do, instead of providing adequate care and enrichment, or accepting some advice? You're going to get another bird. Another life to neglect. Another bird to ignore.

Unbelievable.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello,
I got my Indian ringneck about 2 months ago and he has been pacing left and right and looks up at the same time. I took him to the vet and he just said it can cause feather plucking and to get him a friend to prevent that but that's too much noise for me he also said to keep him out his cage more which I am doing now. However, recently I found out it was symptoms of stargazing. Any info or advice please reply as soon as you see this post. Here's a video. He also stands in one spot swinging his head around. He is eating and pooping fine. He also chirps throughout the day.
Just catching up on thread.... Star gazing??? Nope. This is a bored bird in need of attention, out time and love, and proper diet, playtime and bonding time. My daughter has 3 ring necks and they can't stand being caged very long or will start the back and forth motion in cage.
By the way, your cage is far too small. And do your self and bird a favor, get that netting away from cage. The bird will start going ape schit crazy not being able to see out. Ringnecks need a lot of out time. 4- 7 hours daily... Or you will have restless bird on your hands.
Before you get another bird, you practice on proper care of this one first.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's a condition of being cooped up too long without interaction. A behavioral condition basically. It knows no routine, if you haven't set one down. It becomes mentally confused.
Inquisitive are what many parrots are, they watch and learn, they test the waters, they get involved. They are allowed to use their natural instincts. Take these away and you'll have the condition your seeing now in your bird.