• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something I've noticed...

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
So I've mentioned before that my Kiwi doesnt have much interest in playing with toys - but she does have a few staples... mostly things that go crinkle or crunch. Well one of her favorite toys that we try to keep stalked up on is the braided pieces of straw (does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is that a good way to put it? I see them around pretty much everywhere but cant think of an actual name) we noticed she likes to chew and pull and fidget with them... but today I noticed something pretty neat! Rather than just chewing on these toys shes actually using her beak to unbraid them the way you would use your fingers to take a braid out of someone's hair. I dont lmow if it gives her satisfaction to do this or if it's just time killer, but I found it pretty cool to watch her meticulously unbraid her toys. She had the "Focus Face" on and everything!! Lol!!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Aren't kiwis are blind?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
:o: I'm so embarrassed. :o: Sorry. :o:
Goffinsmama should have been a hint.

I'll pretend Kiwi has bad eyesight then maybe I won't feel so stupid.:huh: Nope, didn't work.:o:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Aren't kiwis are blind?
I am cracking up, that was a brilliant response!

Goffins are known to be very mechanical birds who love to undo knots, bolts, etc. :) They are also capable of making and using tools:) Figaro is most well known for that trait, as he was the first goffin to demonstratie that in captivity in a research center(University of Vienna).
An article about Figaro and one of his abilities:
Figaro, the Toolmaking Cockatoo - The New York Times

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
:o: I'm so embarrassed. :o: Sorry. :o:
Goffinsmama should have been a hint.

I'll pretend Kiwi has bad eyesight then maybe I won't feel so stupid.:huh: Nope, didn't work.:o:

You do know that was a joke, right?

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
I am cracking up, that was a brilliant response!

Goffins are known to be very mechanical birds who love to undo knots, bolts, etc. :) They are also capable of making and using tools:) Figaro is most well known for that trait, as he was the first goffin to demonstratie that in captivity in a research center(University of Vienna).
An article about Figaro and one of his abilities:
Figaro, the Toolmaking Cockatoo - The New York Times
I keep hearing to be careful she doesnt turn into an escape artist! She hasnt shown an interest in the latch on her cage but once we left the tiny door behind her food bowl open and she squealed right through - must have liked the challenge!