• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

so what birds actually sell?

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I certainly respect responsible breeders, but that's not to say I agree with them.
I am appreciative of the fact that breeders help endangered species, but I remain firm in my belief that for every person that is a good bird parront, there's the perfect bird waiting for a new home. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
When people say they don't/won't "buy" birds, how do they obtain them? Are rescues giving birds away now?
All my birds have been free. I take them from abusive/neglectful situations.
When I adopted my guinea pigs, there was an adoption fee. I didn't see it as buying. I was simply paying for the food & vet bills.

Despicio

Walking the driveway
I'd just like to point out that you can't blindly trust statistics, especially if you don't have in-depth knowledge of how the data was collected and the numbers calculated.

We don't know if OP is actually in the USA. Not every country has the parrot problem that you do. Even with you overpopulation of some species, I bet that you don't see a lot of Horned parakeets, Cape parrots (P. robustus) or Malabar parakeets in rescues.

OP, It's generally best to try to find what's rare in aviculture in your area and pick your species from that. It's also good to allow for parent rearing of some (or even all) chicks, depending on what species you're breeding. If it's rare then you'll probably be able to sell it to other enthusiasts. Senegals and the other rarer Poicephalus parrots might be a good route to take as they can make excellent companions (far better suited than most other larger parrot species such as african greys) and there would also probably be demand for parent reared birds.

It might help to join something like the parrot society Parrots | Parrot Conservation | Breeding | The Parrot Society UK
If you click the link then you'll see that they provide a free online magazine (as well as sending out a different paper magazine). The last 2 issues have an interesting article on the need to retain pure, wild type populations of each species and goes on to look into the numbers of each species of aussie grass parakeet in the UK. If you can find something similar for wherever you live then it will probably be of help in choosing species that are worth breeding.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
i am breeding white doves, and senegals but i wanted to keep most of the chicks for myself, i have my own house

I use to breed all sorts of birds but in the parrot family mostly colored cockatiels and reg lovebirds and people would not buy unless it was almost free if i had an extra bird

I have a proven pair of senegals I wanted my own chicks for myself it does not look to good though

I am studying to be an avian vet tech

Flamer

Strolling the yard
i am from canada

mynah birds are rare i wanted them so bad but i could not find them ever no matter what.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
oh forgot to say i hate the sound of wild caught birds so i kinda agree with breeding species if the rescues are not over loaded with them, Unlike cats and dogs it seems people are very quick to adopt birds at least.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Generally, the higher priced species are easier to sell because there is a larger demand hence the higher prices. Also, Canada probably has a different type of market than the US.

You do have to consider how much time and work go into the birds too, but if two species require the same amount of care and work then most likely the one that sells for.more is rarer or in greater demand and will be easier to sell.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
I have gotten into breeding a bit also. I wasn't really out to make bank off them, more like a hobby with just a few pairs. No larger parrots as I already had 3 macaws at he time so I knew having more large birds was more than I wanted to deal with. I did look for a mate for my lovely female gw macaw but came to my senses :p
I had two pairs of rosy Bourkes, one pair of whiteface cinnamon pied tiels, and a young pair of crimson bellied conures.
I hand raised babies from tiels n Bourkes n had very great looking chicks. Intense coloring and very sweet personalities from our handling and slow weaning nd bing near/w parents. But I could barely GIVE them away!!
I had an option to sell groups of chicks to the shop I worked for in CO, but dealing w hassles of shipping n deadlines for weaning etc since I had to send a certain amount in together was not how I wanted to do it. I wanted to meet the new owners and hop them make good choices!
I never sent any out. I advertised online but mostly what I got was replays asking how much was minimum I would take. Then the rescue only crowd would berate me responses about how I should let them rescue my chicks for free since I clearly did not have their best interest in mind since I only about money. :eek: :arghh:
I ended up keeping most of them fr over a year! People would call just to chat about them then never show up. I had one woman arrange shipping through a third person who never shipped the baby then I couldn't get her back. She eventually did get to intended owner, but this was such an ordeal!
My crimsons forget it. I couldn't sell tame just weaned flamingo pink Bourkes for $100! I was originally asking $475 a couple years ago which is very reasonable, considering I paid nearly double that for EACH of the parents. I finally sold them n my remaining Bourkes to a bird shop fairly close by. For much less than their retail value

Aside from tiels, these weren't birds you see on Craigslist everyday. Even the tiels were very nice mutations hat typically cost alot more than normals. With my husbands worsening health problems, I opted to sell my breeders and eventually two of my macaws as well. With amount of work and costs and lack of intersted buyers who are willing to pay a fair price it's very hard to continue!
Then if ou are conscientious, you get to worry about your babies that yo won't ever see again. You remember how hat one was your child's favorite for some reason and wish you could guarantee them a wonderful life. That's just with my sweet easy gentle quiet Bourkes! My ethics would not allow me to breed macaws to sell especially blue n olds, my favorite. And I love BG babies so much!!! I would love nothing more an o play and feed BG chicks everyday of my life but seeing how even I could not keep two of my macaws for more than a decade really sets me against more of hem being born every year.
I will stop now. Breeding birds is very challenging on o many levels if you truly care for them!

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The breeder/ store I bought from has a waiting list and their babies sell quickly. I am new to birds and was surprised how much they would cost. For my first cockatiel I paid $100, a pied, my new baby cost $175, it is a pastelface cinnamon. I had a dog I adopted from a rescue and the adoption fee was $300. I think the fees should be high so that people don't adopt without thinking it through. Pet ownership is costly no matter what kind of animal. If the costs up front seem high don't even think about getting a pet, that is my opinion.
To op, like said, here the birds are not cheap and most are sold before hatched (washington dc area)

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I think when you breed birds you need to love the species first and foremost. Its really hard for anyone of us to say what will or wont sell, even breeders will see different trends from year to year and you will experince years when the birds will hatch more babies than other years too and some years people just aren't as interested in adding pets to their families. My greencheeks are normally reserved before they are even weaned but this year it is difficult to find good homes for them. I am happy to take care of them untill the right homes do come along for them this is why you need to love and enjoy the species you are breeding.
I think it is also very important for breeders to help new owners pick a bird that will suit their lives and provide information that will help them to provide a good life for their new pet. Too many breeders send baby birds off with no information, no food they are used to and no guidance on what bird will suit the new owner, this is where the biggest issue is with lack of information at the most crutial time.

As you can probably tell this is a board with a high anti-breeder sentiment, and as a breeder myself I do find it difficult to stay here sometimes.
Even though in some areas of the world there is a huge issue with unwanted birds some parts of the world don't have such issues. People also need to remember that if breeding ceases smugglers would have a very good reason to start illegal trapping on a large scale again.

Some people who despise breeders so much may like to take a momnet to think to lay the blame at the owners that don't take the time to make sure they are choosing the right pet then discarding them like rubbish and not a living feeling creature before blaming everything on breeders, many of which care deeply for their birds and do their best to place them in good long term homes.

MenomaMinx

Some rescues have flexible adoption fees, Although they don't commonly advertise them, Where they will reduce the adoption fee allowed to be paid off in payments if they feel that matches strong enough to justify it between the human And the bird in question. We got An avian rescue in Jersey that does this, And I'm in total agreement with the practice – All the other Contractual rescue safeguards are in place,And the bird comes back that contract is violated,So I Fail to see the harm And allowing the bird to go home to a person with A lesser income so long as it's a good home.

Plus, consider I'm paranoid about how my babies Are taking care of. I'm the annoying person at the vets asking for extra tests Just in case{those yearly vet visits when I have extra money to do so}. The average person doesn't need my level of paranoia to provide a good home. That Doesn't eliminate Costs, but certainly reduces Them significantly.

Even still,Having a new member of the family whose permanent Addition is Always going to be costly and it's more important to have a good home than A fiscal policy that costs that animal the opportunity to be a member of forever family.

That's my opinion on it anyway....

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I'M not questioning that there is a huge problem but i would sure like to know where that stat comes from. 7 homes! Wow. For it to be a true average that would mean that for every bird who has less than 7 homes one would need to have more than 7. For every bird with one home another would have to have 13 homes. For a bird with 3, another would need to have 11.
Yes, and that happens. My CAG, who is a wonderful bird, had three homes before she came to me, and she was only two years old at the time. That's an average of eight months in each home - extrapolate that to a CAG's lifetime. A lot of people get rid of their birds after having them for a year or less. Some people realize they don't want the mess and the noise, or the novelty simply wears off. Some people face serious changes in life circumstances. Others simply trade in for different birds, in an endless cycle - we've seen our share of that on the boards.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I think breeders have a place, both my fids are from breeders as we have no bird rescues anywhere near. But I think breeding should be a lot more controlled and monitored by law. Breeders should have to be registered and certified and numbers capped; particularly for some of the seriously over bred species that fill the parrot rescues. Wild caught birds should obviously be outlawed world wide.

I think this should be the case for all animals. All my cats are rescues and the pet rescues are full to bursting due to unregulated, ignorant breeding. Neutering cats and dogs etc should be law unless you are a registered breeder.

In fact I'd go as far to say that pet owners should have to prove their ability to care for an animal and gain licences to own pets. Then theses poor creatures would be less likely to fall in to the hands of abusers.

But this will never happen as our governments don't care about animal welfare. The weak laws in place around animal abuse prove that .

Quite extreme you might say but I've witnessed so much ignorance and willful abuse and neglect by pet owners and breeders and see animal after animal sent to rescues where they may never find a home.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have had all kinds of birds and people always want them free! after all the money and effort of breeding they dont want to pay for a chick

I just got a pair of senegals was just wondering what birds do people these days actually want? What birds are in demand?
People want all sorts of things. As far as I can tell, there is a certain percentage of the population that most badly wants whatever is just out of their grasp. Or that just wants a deal. Whatever it is, they want a deal. So if I put an add up for yellow naped amazons for $900, the majority of the people that respond won't be able to afford one, but they still want one real bad. I'd be offered $400, $600, $200 now and the rest after their next paycheck. I'll be offered pugs, playstations, bengal kittens, various arts and crafts, whatever bird they have now and got tired of or ruined and want to trade for a new one. These are the people that say they will save up and want on my waiting list. Then life happens and they won't have the money later. Or they want to make payments, but they won't be able to make the last payment. Always something. Most parrots are in demand, the problem is most people don't have their act together enough at any given moment to actually acquire what they want. Or what they want isn't something they should have. Throw in a good, honest chat about the pros and cons of the species and what the person is actually looking for and if the bird is a good match, and I can barely sell two amazons in 6 months. Most people that can afford it will gladly give me money for a bird I know will not be a good match for them. I have to tell them I don't think my bird will work for them but good luck finding one from another breeder that will. I would say there are some real amazons fans out there, but they aren't terribly in demand at the moment.
Which isn't entirely a bad thing because they really aren't for everyone.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say african greys are probably in demand and some macaws. The most in demand species are the rare ones like hyacinths and palm cockatoos. If I advertise before my babies hatch, I'll have a few people that want to be on my waiting list. However, the odds of someone actually sticking it out until weaning are low. usually by the time the bird weans, they can't afford it anymore, or they already got a bird from someone else. You have to just have an affinity for the species you breed IMO. I started out wanting to breed parrotlets because i thought they were in demand and were expensive enough to make a profit from at the time. Unfortunately the bird I was breeding(parrotlets) were not a bird I really enjoyed a whole lot. Plus, I was honest, which meant not only was I NOT real good at working with parrotlets, I also talked 90% of buyers out of getting one. I still talk 90% of buyers out of getting my amazons, but I enjoy the species so much it doesn't bother me to have a couple babies hanging around. I enjoy them while I have them and i don't give the parents a nest box again until the previous babies are sold. For me it isn't about selling them. Its about enjoying the species and enjoying educating people about them. The right person comes along whenever they come along. Plus, with only two babies a year, amazons are just high dollar enough that I can have my self supporting hobby without selling a lot of birds and I can really give my two that I do have some good attention and get to know them well as individuals. Not something I could do when I had 30+ little parrotlets and quakers each year to find homes for. As a species amazons work for me. And I don't advertise until they are weaned just because I don't want to deal with people dropping off waiting lists or asking for an unweaned bird. For me its not so much an issue of not being in demand, as wading through all the human garbage that just wants, wants, wants and needing to make decisions that are right for my birds because most buyers aren't smart enough to make a good decision for themselves let alone the bird. But, that doesn't mean the good people out there shouldn't have one and when I do find that person that makes a good match, its a great experience.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
When people say they don't/won't "buy" birds, how do they obtain them? Are rescues giving birds away now?
Here they are. They are so overfull and can't take all the birds that people are trying to give up. It's a matter of cutting losses. They do screen and only give to good homes and will take them back if needed. Even free, they can only adopt out a small fraction of the rescue population.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have to agree that you can't find homes for birds whether breeding or rescues without getting invovled with people and that can sometimes be a challenge.

For breeders it goes back to developing a good reputation and sticking with it. I also think it helps to pick experiencecies that you enjoy. Also, I like what Melissa said about raising two amazons that you love rather than 30 parrotlets. I too want to feel like I can enjoy the babies if they stick around for a while rather than feel compelled to sell them to the first buyer.

The other aspect of breeding is the business side. I loved raising parrotlets when I did it and my husband and I have been totally self employed with othar business since 2000. I think to be successful in any business you have to have a vision and a mission and stick with it and make it work for you rather than letting potential customers run your life and business.

When I had the parrotlets I always sold them for top dollar, I never went down on my price. I always took deposits which were non refundable and I always had a waiting list.

I did run into some people who really really wanted one of my birds but who just couldn't wait. They just ended up going somewhere else to buy a bird. They were out of my hair. You have to find your system and develop the way that works for you. If one customer doesn't fit your system but others do then that is fine. Trying to cater to everyone who comes along will never work.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have great customer service. What I am saying is that not everyone is your customer, if someone doesn't fit your system or the way you do business then let it go and focus on someone else. That focus is how you give great service to the people you do work with. That focus is how you keep your sanity :)

For Instance, a local bird store was always asking me to sell them my parrotlet chicks. Sorry, not my customer, they wanted unweaned babaies to handfeed. I love the handfeeding and socializing so Pet stores were not the customers for me.

I got a booth at a bird mart once as well. I had lots of offers from buyers who wanted to pay less than my asking price for birds. Sorry not my customers.

Ultimately my niche was to make a informative website That attracted enough interest year round that when I did have babies i had people interested in buying them. i did ship babies but ultimately i got a lot of local business too.

all in all it was a very positive experience.

MenomaMinx

Here they are. They are so overfull and can't take all the birds that people are trying to give up. It's a matter of cutting losses. They do screen and only give to good homes and will take them back if needed. Even free, they can only adopt out a small fraction of the rescue population.
Only ones doing free I know of are furry rescues that get in feathered littles and that's iffy.

Right now,There is a-year-old African grey in a rescue near me that I can pretty much get for a song based on my experience with disabled birds, and even I would be wary to go near this particular bird. The disability is suspected to be traumatic brain injury. I can't afford the workup to confirm or deny that diagnosis even without an adoption fee, and if it is true, Viable adoption would greatly depend on what part of the Brain is injured.

I'm a great believer in Neuroplasticity,So it's not that the bird isn't salvageable unconditionally; It's that I would be putting All the birds In my home in danger,Including that one, without a popular neurological workup and regular follow-up visits.

Also, some of the screening processes are biased. Some people get rejected based on the fact they have allergies, even if the allergies Aren't to the bird in question Or any bird at all. Some people, Like myself, would be rejected on the fact They are disabled– Or bird would be given to someone else over me to someone with far less experience and knowledge simple because the other potential Adopter not disabled.(You may not think this one happens, but it does with the dog shelters in my personal experience;And the adoption process is much tighter when it comes to bird rescue's).You're also going to get people rejected on income, even when they are capable of living on the amount that's within their means and Have savings that reflect that-- therefore they can more than Afford the veterinary care involved,But their yearly income doesn't meet the standard, so no bird for them.Also, some places Won't do apartment adoptions, Even if the landlord signs off on it, and even if the neighbors have no problem with it as There are pre-existing large birds in the apartments.

And then there's the lovely rescues That claim to so desperately want to place birds and won't answer emails or phone calls – okay, it's just one; but it's the closest one near me so they tick me off on a regular basis As they are usually the first result the comes up a Petfinder and they still have the Severely disabled bird I wanted to adopt seven months ago. They just did a recent update on that bird.Yes, I do check up on her when I'm looking for birds for the rehome Highway. I fell in love with her and never actually occured to me at the time that they would put up a wall of silence – rejection may be, but what rescue doesn't want their birds rescued?

At the time, I had friends willing to Make specialized equipment for that bird's cage and a custom play stand. By this time,I don't trust myself not to say something about letting the bird Languish with a foster when it could had a forever home months ago.I have bias towards older and disabled birds, So it was literally the only one of their birds I wanted at the time.

Right now,I have Vet fee commitments to The one and a half budgies and another bird I'm looking to adopt For its first Well birdie visit If I get him(TAG), so I couldn't in good conscience take that bird right now and pay for the vet fees on top of the adoption fee. Still,It would've been nice to have met the bird at least once considering all the emotional investment I put into it-- which, of course, will never happen, because this place Does not pick up its phones or answer emails ;-)

Anyone considering adoption is almost guaranteed Getting there heartbroken at least once over a bird they want and won't get.

And people wonder at the appeal To the general public of consignment shops And backyard breeders– Rarely Do you lose the bird You fall in love with If you have the money to pay for it.In the short term, it's very attractive.But the startup costs are slightly higher with These birds because you don't know enough of their veterinary background not have to spend more More at the vets trying to figure it out yourself. Sometimes it's worth it – especially with some of the consignment birds.A lot of the time It actually ends up costing more money Then if you bought From a responsible breeder Over the long-term.

My one winged Angel, based on my research after-the-fact, was probably An Irresponsible breeder's Budgie Color mutations version of Frankenstein's Monster-- she has several rare color mutations markers when you do a close-up inspection, as does her "Service animal"Forest-- both budgies Were probably sold to the pet store Because they weren't show quality(Forest occasionally gets a slight tremor When he sits, which is probably some kind of very minor neurological or epileptic issue – but doesn't seem to affect his quality-of-life so I'm just watching it for right now).

And I haven't gone to the best part yet....The guy that inherited three more budgies from a breeder and put him with his personal pets(which are now my one and a half budgies) had no clue.He genuinely loved his birds and wanted nothing more than a good home – which Is exactly what they have. I don't think I'll ever Tell him, although I do intend to stay in touch with pictures and whatnot. Also, the angel is quite possibly transgendered-- there's color markers on the cere of deep purple (Male color marker) and all her behaviors are female. She may be the first budgie in the world to get a DNA test.

I think part of the reason the rescues are overflowing is there is literally no spare volunteers to educate(and I do mean in depth educate) the Potential new bird owner Specific to the species they're adopting And there's always the Lack of correspondence thing that I've been harping on(Did I mention that particular rescue really ticked me off ;-)

Most don't even have a slot on the volunteer application for An educational position – which would prevent most birds from coming back and help more birds go out.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also wanted to point out just food for thought for the people that are anti-breeder, pro-rescue. A good number of my amazons go to homes where people have already had an amazon and because of bad luck the bird died or just got old and they miss it terribly. They are experienced people and many of them had their previous bird for upwards of 20+ years and acquired it as an adult or inherited it. There are plenty of people out there that are long term owners. You just don't read about them on the forums because the bird is part of their family like the kids and grand-kids. Its loved for what it is even if its a temperamental old male. And yes, I do screen out the people whose bird died because they did something stupid or had an amazon in the past and want another even though their life is so unstable they probably won't be able to keep it for more than a year. One of last year's babies went to someone whose 7 year old amazon had a stroke or blood clot discovered on necropsy. Sometimes pets just die and its not really anyone's fault. Another went to someone that rescued a female double yellow head with issues and they wanted a bird for themselves that was properly raised they could interact with and maybe bring the rescue out of its shell and show it some normal amazon behaviors. One of the first amazons I sold went to a lady who had an old male for over 30 years. There are actually really good pet owners out there. I do actually keep in contact about yearly with previously sold birds. There are 2-3 that I've lost track of, but most of my amazon buyers keep in touch with me. Its hard selling them because I'm looking for that rare combination in a person that is honest, inherently good, intelligent and inquisitive enough to keep learning and to be able to make a good decision for their bird and that has that certain something that makes someone good at handling a somewhat difficult species. Not everyone has that. Lots of people can handle amazons but don't have the other qualities I'm looking for. And for the record, I'm not looking for a forever home. I'm looking for a long term, devoted home with someone who can make good decisions about the next home if it comes to that. I haven't had a forever. No human I know has had a forever home. Its unreasonable to assume that a bird with that kind of lifespan will have a forever home. However, they can have GOOD homes that keep them socialized enough to be adaptable.