• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

so now where can i get cheap toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
wonderful links!!! :highfive:

I had forgotten to go to my profile and ask for emails of alerts on thread replies and was wondering if no one had suggestions doh!! :o:

edit: Big Bird goes through toys soooo FAST!! easily 3 times faster than hulk does :omg:.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
You would be surprised at what you can find in the craft department at Wal-mart or even a craft store That is where 90% of my stuff comes from

Just be extremely careful of dollar stores, family dollars, and dollar trees I've lost one bird from using something at the Dollar Tree and now if I can't tell its 100% safe I won't even bother buying it

remember most of those places products come from China - where they do not test for lead in paint and MOST of the childrens toys recalled for lead poisoning are from China

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Have you ever thought about making you own homemade wooden toys?

Buy the untreated cedar bender board at Homedepot, for like $3(they are 8ft long, and just buying one of these will last a while for your smaller fids! I mean you'll have plenty of wood to strring up and use, and when they are done with the toy you can just string up somemore, you'll have plenty!), and then have them cut it up into 3-4" pieces, and then go to WALMART in the arn department, get the thicker HEMP CORD(should be close to $10, but a LOT of Hemp to go around! It lasts a while!), and then drill holes into the benderboard pieces and then string'em up!

VERY cheap way to supply wood for our fids.

I buy the 98cent, 8ft long untreated pine, have THEM cut it into 3-4" pieces, and then I get home, drill hole sinto the hundreds of pieces, and then string them up, and add like wiffle balls, and plastic $1 store balls,etc, and its very cheap and FUN.

Also I go to the DOLLAR store and buy untreated WILLOW WREATHS for the birds, and they LOVE them!

All in all, the dollar store plastic balls, per pack(comes with 4-5 per pack) is a $1 each
For willow wreaths each is a $1 or less, depending ont he size. I get the 18" ones for my guys, but you could easily get the 8" Diameter ones for your fids for like 50cents or so
Hemp Cord: $10
Wood $3 or less

You dont have to go expensive to supply FUN toys to your bird,s toys your birds will actually use!

Mercedez

i am so scared of getting one of those ignorant people from home depot and have them give me some treated wood. uuugh it's one of my fears

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thank you Allison. California Bird Nerds also helps with Parrot Toy Angels. We have several customers who buy from as and donate toys made from our products. We have also dontated items to Parrot Toy Angels.
Ann
That's awesome Ann. I'm glad you help them out. ;)

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
i am so scared of getting one of those ignorant people from home depot and have them give me some treated wood. uuugh it's one of my fears
Treated wood is discolored. Natural, untreated wood is very clean looking and has a "wood" smell to it. Treated wood also has writing stamped on it and says treated. If you go into the store and look around ... it's very easy to see the difference.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also on the subject of China, all that stuff has to be fumigated for the trip over. Who knows residue-wise what could be on it.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Great thread, now I have some shopping to go do!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Clean dry spruce, fir or pine in the lumber section is perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.