• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Anyone else let their birds sleep outside their cages? Recently Lada prefers to curl up in her bed for the night sleeping on the night stand near me and Charlie & Emma have recently started snuggling down for the night on top of my tea spoon rack. Lately I have just been leaving them all be. The finches get up early and usually fly back to their cage looking for breakfast. Lada usually sleeps in a bit and wakes up with me, then we both go to the kitchen together. All three are well behaved and don't get into mischief. Anyone else out there do this? I know I may have a special case. Lada is particularly chill, and I have conditioned the finches well to keep to the kitchen and to keep to certain areas/perches.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If I didn't have cats, I would. Bobber prefers sleeping on the rope bridge :)

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I would maybe caution against doing this. Just like taking a nap with your birds out they could land by you when you are sleeping and you could crush one of them. I have heard horror stories about this happening so would not ever do it myself just on the off chance it may happen. Just my two cents.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah good point. The finches are downstairs completely in the kitchen, so they are safe (Except for maybe midnight snacks). Lada is on the nightstand (ish). She would not be able to get on bed even if she wanted which she never does. Once its sleep time, unless she sleep walks lol, she is stationary for the night. You make a really REALLY good point though and something to consider.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My birds share my room with me, they sleep at night on a place all the way to the ceiling, a sort of shelf. My Tiel sleeped on all sorts of places, sometimes in his cage, Sometimes on top, then on his bamboo perches etc., he picked a new place every few months.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh my! That is so adorable! That first pic is so precious!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is where the finches have been sleeping at night. They wake up reasonably early now and fly back to their cage (or Ladas) in the morning for breakfast.
MVIMG_20180125_211728.jpg

These are just some cute pics that I felt obligated to share...
IMG_20180122_105944.jpg IMG_20180322_180936.jpg

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I personally wouldn't let my birds sleep out of the cage. Firstly, I can't keep my door closed and I have dogs and cats, and having them out together is a humongous no-no. Secondly, the birds' cage is in my room and I don't feel comfortable doing that - I worry they might land on the bed and I could crush them. Plus, the birds might not even like sleeping out of their cage. The cage is their safe place, and they feel most comfortable asleep in their cage with a blanket covering it.

Oh, and your Eclectus girl is precious! :heart:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yes I agree with your reasons. If I was in that situation I would feel the same. Thankfully, no other pets or people here. Just me, the finchies, and the fire princess. The finches are downstairs in the kitchen at night. Also they LOVE the tea stand. Honestly though I am going to have to limit their time up there. They "love" it because they are exhibiting nesting behavior with it. In the long run, cant have that. I may let them spend the night there every once in awhile (they do love being out), but permanently isn't going to work. The same is actually true for Lada too. She has a tendency to get VERY broody with boxes and such as is to be expected. Surprisingly though, she is doing ok right now with her bed. I know this will change over time, but for now she loves her bed and shes not getting hormonal. As long as she doesn't get too nesty or feisty, I'm gonna let her keep it. For now, she's a happy girl.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Grumio (my dove) sleeps outside his cage almost every night. He likes to sleep on the armchair I have in my room or on top of the play stand on top of Bowie's cage. I have him go back to his cage before I go to school in the morning.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Buzzard sleeps on his playstand in the dining room which is fine because he doesn't climb down and the dogs are in our room. I lock the green cheeks in because Harley does climb down & tries to nest behind their stand.

Luv Bug would rather sleep outside her night cage, but even if the dogs didn't sleep in our room, she could get hurt or trapped in the blankets because she always tries to be on us. I do sit up with her until she starts grinding her beak before I put her up. (We're doing that right now.) Some nights take a few tries, others she goes right in.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
My ex husband rolled over his parrotlet when he was a child. It flew over to cuddle with him while he was sleeping.

Sunflower likes to snuggle before bed, but then she goes into her cage for the night. In the morning, she comes out to poop and sometimes will snuggle again to finish her sleep.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My ex husband rolled over his parrotlet when he was a child. It flew over to cuddle with him while he was sleeping.
Sunflower likes to snuggle before bed, but then she goes into her cage for the night. In the morning, she comes out to poop and sometimes will snuggle again to finish her sleep.

:sadhug2: I think I've read that post, or one like it. That's why no matter how badly Luv Bug wants to stay out she has to be in her cage. It isn't worth it. :no: