• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick quaker, what can I do right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Beak grinding and eating! Yes!!!! :hug8:

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Just saw this thread. Sorry your little Buddy isn't feeling well. I'm glad he's eating and beak grinding--those are good signs!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just hang in there. You can do what you can do and nothing more. Sounds like he's getting better.

PS - I have to drive 100 mi. to my vet. But the birds and I have talked it over and we wouldn't trade the inconvenience of a small town in the sticks for living in the city like a rabbit in a hutch for anything.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone. After I gave him his formula and med he did regurgitate a little. So that makes me think it is the med.

ML, I think I may switch vets to the one that is further from here, in the "big city". :rolleyes: That way if my bird fund gets low again I'll be an established patient and they'll take payments.

How long does it take you to drive the 100 miles? About and hour and 1/2? The one I'm thinking about switching to would be almost 4 hours. :eek: If I go a little over the speed limit, 3 1/2. Would be worth it though to have 4 or 5 vets that rotate and are always on. D this mess of being so stuck. :(

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Deb, just saw this thread. So sorry your baby is sick. You are doing a great job of taking care of him and meeting his needs. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
4 hours would be worth it when you need it, but dont lose the relationship with your other vet either - keep an established relationship with both if you can. That way you have someone close that you can get to (4 hours is a long way in an emergency). My regular vet is an hour and a half (or more depending on traffic) and well worth the trip but man do I ever wish he was closer.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb just checking in with you this morning. How is Buddy?

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi Pat, when he was eating some seed, before his med, he was still bobbing his head up and down like he was having trouble getting it down. I'll be glad when I can get him back in with the vet.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Glad he is doing ok. Yes I will be glad too when you can see the vet for a hands on exam. :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Should I keep giving him the Trimethoprim Sulfa? He just spit up a little formula and it's time for the med. I do 12:30 and 12:30 because of my schedule. It doesn't seem to be helping him at all since he's still having a hard time swallowing seed and spitting up some. Shouldn't it have worked by now??

Also, the vet I have an appt with tomorrow, that is an hour and 1/2 from here, doesn't believe in gram stains. ???? When I got some prices yesterday from the receptionist she said he usually doesn't do them. So, do I go up there, spend what's left in my bird fund and possibly get no answers?? Or try to wait until Tuesday?? I don't know what to do. He's acting pretty much ok except for the little bit of spitting up and of course acting like he has a hard time swallowing seed. I know that's bad enough and I know how they try to hide things. I don't know what to do.

I don't know what kind of ACV doesn't believe in gram stains??

My vet does them and he isn't Avain Certified. He is very experienced though.

I wish my vet was open tomorrow. :( :( :( :( :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb, can you somehow try to feed him and then wait at least a half hour to give his meds? I hope ML or someone else can answer your question on the Med, I dont know what I would do. I am sure they will be on shortly.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi Pat, I fed him about 30 minutes ago and he spit a little back. Not much. I just don't know what to do. I'm starting to think it's not an infection that something is in his throat or crop.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hey...try not to be so agonized.I'm sure that if you wait until tonight or at least tomorrow morning things will take a turn for the better. Remember..you have two choices which is great. You can go to the AV or if the bird is better...go to the Vet you feel more comfortable with. Now isn't that good that the decision is in your hands. Give yourself and the bird some time. Maybe gram stains do not show what the AV is diagnosing. Perhaps there is a reason. After all...wouldn't he want to have something to charge you for? Lower your worry level and try to have a good Christmas Day.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi southernbirds, I'm trying to not be so worried. Yes, it's nice that I have 2 choices. :) And he isn't in grave condition or I would def. take him tomorrow. I'll wait and see how he is tonight and in the morning.
I just want to be able to hand him to my vet and say find out what's wrong and know that he will. I trust him completely. He will get to the bottom of it, no doubts about that.

Awwww, Buddy is on my shoulder (it's very warm in this room, I won't have him out long) and he gave me a big kiss.

I think I'll go ahead and give him the med.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is highly unlikely that there is something stuck in his crop or throat - that is pretty darned uncommon and would not explain his other symptoms. The regurgitation is almost certainly due to the antibiotic/sulfa. Continue the antibiotics, just give them to him diluted or small doses or after soft foods or all of the above. Antibiotics do generally work quickly (2-4 days), but not this quick and didn't you say he is better?

If it were my bird, I would religiously continue the supportive care (heat and hydration and quiet), the antibiotics and cut out the seeds. Replace the seeds with 100% soft foods.

Just continue to be the good little nurse and keep him as stable as possible until you see your vet. Write all of your questions down and also write down any specfic things you want the Dr. to know. Such as what he's been eating, symptoms reactions to meds etc. When you are upset one has a tendency to forget things. Also, make the Dr. explain what he finds until you understand.
ML

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi Pat, I fed him about 30 minutes ago and he spit a little back. Not much. I just don't know what to do. I'm starting to think it's not an infection that something is in his throat or crop.
Deb I am wondering the same thing too. Are you seeing a vet tomorrow? If he has a yeast infection in his crop, that may be why he is spitting up. Deb ML was posting at the same time as me. I would take her advice over mine, she is much more experienced than me with these things. :o: Have you tried diluting the meds as ML has described? Even the baytril is in a sugar suspension to make it taste better.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've been tempted to think that my birds had something stuck in their throats when they were sick and regurgitating. But I can gaurantee you that it is a rare condition. Most likely it's the meds and/or a digestive system infection. A little bit of regurgitation will bother you much more than the bird. The very worse thing you can do with bacterial and/or fungal infections is to start and stop meds. That is the perfect method to develop a resistant strain of bacteria/fungus.

Just continue with what you have been doing that has made him better.
ML

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I agree with ML Deb, just try diluting the med with something that tastes good, even a little applesauce maybe if you have nothing else. I am going to edit my previous post so you have some consistancy.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I gave it to him with apple sauce and he's spitting some of it back up. My poor baby. :(

Thank you both, I'll remove the seeds and just give him soft foods. I'll moisten some pellets with unsweetened apple sauce and give him those too. He'll eat them sometimes like that.

If I take him tomorrow and the vet doesn't do a gram stain how will he know what he's treating? The blood work, CBC, would take until next week to come back. But I'm not sure it can wait until Tuesday to see my regular vet.

Sometimes I think the med is working and sometimes I don't think so. I guess it is or he wouldn't be trying to eat on his own again. He wasn't eating at all for a while.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb is his breathing ok? Is he breathing with his mouth open? I would say you WANT the gram stain, I dont think that is very expensive. Tequila's gram stain did not show alot of negative bacteria, but his bloodwork confirmed he had a bacterial infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.