• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick quaker, what can I do right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...an adults crop capcity is WAY smaller than a babies. Start off with 2-5CC mAX the first few feedings. She how he handles that.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb I was feeding Tequila 5cc's of formula at each feeding.The vet wanted me to feed him 4 times a day but it was more like 3 times a day because I wanted him to get to sleep by 8pm. I fed him first thing in the morning, then about 1-2pm and then about 6-7pm. I would feed him his last feeding and then wait about a half hour before I gave him his meds, watched that he was ok and then tucked him in for the night. Make sure it is good and warm but not hot, stick a clean finger in the formula to make sure there are not hot spots. ALSO Danita gave me a great tip that helped me so much. I turned him sideways on my lap and I fed him with the syringe on the side of his beak while holding his head between my index and thumb. He took the formula so much easier because he wasnt pushing the syringe away with his tongue. Feeding from the side of the beak and medicating that way too is much much easier. We were both pro's after a couple of days. I think it was a learning curve for both Tequila and myself. :hug8: How much does Buddy weigh? Tequila was at 140g when he got sick so you might want to even go 3cc's if he is quite a bit smaller. Also do you have a kitchen scale? I would weigh him every morning, either empty crop or after feeding to monitor his weight. Just be consistent with the way you weigh him. You want to make sure he isnt losing weight on a large scale.

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
. Feeding from the side of the beak and medicating that way too is much much easier.
----------------------------

That sounds like the hand position I use when I hand feed babies. In addition try and keep the neck stretched upwards. This also helps reduce risks of aspiration.The pix is for lefty's...

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
YES! And actually I didnt even need to hold his head, he was a very good patient, I relaxed my hand over his body, it was more for me than him.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...he sounds like a sweetie, taking his formula so well :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
He was such a brave little sweety through the whole thing. I just pushed the syringe, let him finish drinking and then gave him more. Towards the end he started fighting me on his meds..thats when I knew he was feeling better. :)

liltweets

Jogging around the block
OK...an adults crop capcity is WAY smaller than a babies. Start off with 2-5CC mAX the first few feedings. She how he handles that.
Oh wow, I have been giving him 6-8cc's at a time. Maybe that's part of the reason for his regurgitation, too much at once, since he is eating some seed on his own. I think I'll bump it back to 5cc's 3 x's per day and keep monitoring his weight.

Deb I was feeding Tequila 5cc's of formula at each feeding.The vet wanted me to feed him 4 times a day but it was more like 3 times a day because I wanted him to get to sleep by 8pm. I fed him first thing in the morning, then about 1-2pm and then about 6-7pm. I would feed him his last feeding and then wait about a half hour before I gave him his meds, watched that he was ok and then tucked him in for the night. Make sure it is good and warm but not hot, stick a clean finger in the formula to make sure there are not hot spots. ALSO Danita gave me a great tip that helped me so much. I turned him sideways on my lap and I fed him with the syringe on the side of his beak while holding his head between my index and thumb. He took the formula so much easier because he wasnt pushing the syringe away with his tongue. Feeding from the side of the beak and medicating that way too is much much easier. We were both pro's after a couple of days. I think it was a learning curve for both Tequila and myself. :hug8: How much does Buddy weigh? Tequila was at 140g when he got sick so you might want to even go 3cc's if he is quite a bit smaller. Also do you have a kitchen scale? I would weigh him every morning, either empty crop or after feeding to monitor his weight. Just be consistent with the way you weigh him. You want to make sure he isnt losing weight on a large scale.
He was 130 grams when I first got him. Now he is 115. He lost right much before I noticed something wasn't right. It's amazing how much they can lose even overnight. :( He is holding now at about 115. He loves the formula and I have no problem getting his med in him since I mix it with apple sauce. He loves to eat out of a syringe. He's eating again his seed again right now with no head bobbing or regurgitation so I really think it's the med making him regurgitate. He isn't doing that head bobbing now since it's almost time for his med again. I think the med is helping him even though it makes him nauseated. Before the med he wouldn't eat at all on his own.

. Feeding from the side of the beak and medicating that way too is much much easier.
----------------------------

That sounds like the hand position I use when I hand feed babies. In addition try and keep the neck stretched upwards. This also helps reduce risks of aspiration.The pix is for lefty's...
I'm a righty. lol I do hold his head with my left hand and he takes the formula and med very well. If it was something other than the med I would think he would regurgitate every time he ate instead of just the first several hours after the med?

Oh my gosh, I'll be so glad when he's better. I need to let him sleep. I check on him all night sometimes, not good for him and not good for me to miss sleep.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Just continue to monitor him and stay in touch with the knowledgeable members of this board. Good thoughts from me to you.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes definately go down to at least 5cc's, that might be part of the regurg problem. I had Tequila sleeping in our bedroom and I felt better having him so close. You are doing great Deb.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Yes definately go down to at least 5cc's, that might be part of the regurg problem. I had Tequila sleeping in our bedroom and I felt better having him so close. You are doing great Deb.
I think I'll move him into the spare bedroom and sleep in there with him until he's better. Hubby snores so that may keep him awake. I want to be able to hear every noise he makes until he's better.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Just make sure the air around him is WARM (85º)...this will help him keep his temp up and use his energy to get better....I would enclose his cage, expept for the front of it with a blanket if possible...
this is why it is great to have a 10 gal fish tank to keep a sick bird in...you can control the heat/moisture inside by covering just the top with a heating pad wrapped in a towel on the bottom...I put in an extra towel on one end to have that area up off the pad if he wants to go there...I also roll up a hand towel and put that in for a perch...just some ideas if you need them in the future...You are doing a great job!:hug8::hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Just finished reading the whole thread (once quickly) and my 2 cents is that it seems like you are getting good advice from everyone. I personally don't know about some of the additives to the formula that some are suggesting because I have not used them myself. I don't see how they could hurt though? Best to mention these additives to your chosen vet next time you see him/her to see what the vet specifically says about them.

Regarding your vet that you think is "wonderful": Best IMO to find an avian vet (in the future) who has an answering service when he is out of town - to contact him wherever he is or to contact a back-up vet that your main vet has a working relationship with, at any hr., who has access to your bird's files and who will see your bird at any hr. if necessary. Sometimes having to wait a couple days could spell doom for a needy bird.

Regarding the pedialyte that you were asking about: Other stores like Walgreens and CVS (if you have those stores in your area or similar) carry it and/or similar brands. I like to keep the electrolyte freezer pops in the pantry because you get 16 of them and only need to open one at a time - that way they stay fresh. Some people also use Gatoraide mixed with water. What is best though IMO is this: Next time you see an avian vet, he/she can sell you a bag of LRS solution to keep at home. It is good for usually at least a yr. if you store it properly and withdraw what you need properly. A whole bag of it only costs $2.50 approx. unless the vet wants to take you to "the cleaners" so to speak and charge you much more (sad IMO those that do that). The home-made version that you were given sounds adequate also. I agree that about 5 cc of formula, per feeding, should suffice. About 3 cc the first couple of times. Just increase the number of feedings rather than the amount of cc's or ml's, to be on the safer side. Feed again when the crop has just emptied or close to that time.

Maybe if you say which state you are in (unless I missed it), someone on A.A. may live fairly close to you, someone who has Nystatin or injectable Baytril (which can be added to the formula) and even other meds that may be beneficial. This would be most helpful if your vet or a vet could be reached to ok the drugs. Driving so far (4 hrs. one way or even round trip is a pain and can even be dangerous).

Good luck to both you and your bird.

My rescue quaker, Buddy, went to my vet (who is wonderful) on the friday after I got him on a Sunday. About 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everything was fine. Blood work and all.

Fast forward to last friday, he was a little listless and had some slight tail bobbing. The snow storm was coming in (we got about 2 feet of it) and I couldn't get there (figures?!) so my vet phoned in Trimethoprim Sulfa. He seemed to improve although the med made him nauseated. He would spit a little of it back at times. I talked to my vet on Tuesday morning of this week and he said stop the med and see what happened. I could kick my self now for not taking him in right then even though the roads were still very bad. He seemed better though. By Wednesday he was not eating too much again so I went back to hand feeding him and put him back on the med like my vet said to do if he got worse. I wanted to take him back in yesterday but my vet was gone for the holidays.

Buddy started bobbing his head up and down when he was eating his seed (that's what he came here on and since he has had such a hard time his diet has remained the same, no changes until he gets better, although I do offer different things along with seed) and today he did regurgitate a little. It was white. I don't know if it was seed (he was eating mostly white millet) or yeast?

I have called every vet in this town and no one but no one is on call that knows anything about birds. One is in the northern part of the state I live in but that is 4 hours from here and oh my god they want over $100 just for the exam. I have $300 left in my bird vet acct. and they won't take payments or even hold a check for a week. I don't even know what tests they would want to do. And there is an ice storm moving in. GREAT!!! The cost of living is much higher up there, down here it is $42 for an exam.

My vet will be back on Tuesday and I can take him in then but what do I do until then? I have been giving him formula and he eats that just fine. He has regurgitated just a small amnt of it once.

I am so upset and crying that I don't even know if this makes sense.

I do have an appt with a vet on Saturday that is about an hour and 1/2 from here. I hope he'll be ok until then. I hope it's not over $300 because we just don't have it until hubby gets paid on Friday. God I wish he would hold a check for the remaining balance, if there is any.

Why does this have to happen on a holiday? The vet I have an appt with on Saturday is usually the oncall er vet for around here. He is taking today and tomorrow off and God only knows how much that visit will be and he doesn't take a held check either.

Sometimes Buddy acts fine, plays, talks, squawks, but sometimes he acts like he doesn't feel too good.

I have GSE and garlic powder just in case it is yeast, should I mix some with his formula? It's hard to treat something without diagnostics. I did find one vet on tonight from 6p to 8a but he can only do a physical exam, no diagnostics. That is useless!!

Maybe something is stuck in his crop? is it infected?

I have called every vet that one avian vet gave me within a 4 hour radius and the only one that can see him is the one that want half of my vet acct. just for an exam. God only knows what a gram stain, possible xrays, cbc, chem profile would be.

I'm so scared that I'm going to lose this guy if he takes a total turn for the worse.

I have him on heat. I'm watching him now, he's eating and isn't bobbing his head or regurgitating, could it be the antibiotic making him regurgitate? Too many questions and NO answers without a vet.

I'm scared for him. :(

My care credit is maxed and they won't up it. I rescued this little one thinking I would give him a better life. I feel like I've failed him. I wasn't sure if I would keep him and the plan was to keep him or relinquish him to Phoenix Landing. Now I wish I had got him and immediately filled out a relinquish form.

In this economy things are tight. I wanted to help him but I can't today and that is killing me.

The vet I talked to gave me the numbers of any and all possible er vets in my state. Not many on holidays.

I know this is long and may not make sense through my tears.

Please just pray that he will be ok.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I think I'll move him into the spare bedroom and sleep in there with him until he's better. Hubby snores so that may keep him awake. I want to be able to hear every noise he makes until he's better.

That sounds to me to be a good idea. Maybe leave a 7 watt night lite on, only close enough to his hospital cage/enclosure so he can eat or drink if he wants to. Hopefully that amount of light won't disturb your own sleep, maybe you have something to cover your eyes so it won't?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I also left a night light on in the adjoining bathroom so there was a dim light in the room I had three sides of his cage covered with the heat lamp overhead and the front of his cage open.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Just make sure the air around him is WARM (85º)...this will help him keep his temp up and use his energy to get better....I would enclose his cage, expept for the front of it with a blanket if possible...
this is why it is great to have a 10 gal fish tank to keep a sick bird in...you can control the heat/moisture inside by covering just the top with a heating pad wrapped in a towel on the bottom...I put in an extra towel on one end to have that area up off the pad if he wants to go there...I also roll up a hand towel and put that in for a perch...just some ideas if you need them in the future...You are doing a great job!:hug8::hug8:
Hi BF, I have him in a smaller cage with a heating pad and only the front open. I wish I had an aquarium, although I don't know how well he would do in one. I have the heating pad on one side, covered with a pillow case (so he won't chew on it) and then a sheet and a quilt on top. I also have the heat cranked up. It's very warm in here. :eek: But at least he's warm.

Just finished reading the whole thread (once quickly) and my 2 cents is that it seems like you are getting good advice from everyone. I personally don't know about some of the additives to the formula that some are suggesting because I have not used them myself. I don't see how they could hurt though? Best to mention these additives to your chosen vet next time you see him/her to see what the vet specifically says about them.

Regarding your vet that you think is "wonderful": Best IMO to find an avian vet (in the future) who has an answering service when he is out of town - to contact him wherever he is or to contact a back-up vet that your main vet has a working relationship with, at any hr., who has access to your bird's files and who will see your bird at any hr. if necessary. Sometimes having to wait a couple days could spell doom for a needy bird.

Regarding the pedialyte that you were asking about: Other stores like Walgreens and CVS (if you have those stores in your area or similar) carry it and/or similar brands. I like to keep the electrolyte freezer pops in the pantry because you get 16 of them and only need to open one at a time - that way they stay fresh. Some people also use Gatoraide mixed with water. What is best though IMO is this: Next time you see an avian vet, he/she can sell you a bag of LRS solution to keep at home. It is good for usually at least a yr. if you store it properly and withdraw what you need properly. A whole bag of it only costs $2.50 approx. unless the vet wants to take you to "the cleaners" so to speak and charge you much more (sad IMO those that do that). The home-made version that you were given sounds adequate also. I agree that about 5 cc of formula, per feeding, should suffice. About 3 cc the first couple of times. Just increase the number of feedings rather than the amount of cc's or ml's, to be on the safer side. Feed again when the crop has just emptied or close to that time.

Maybe if you say which state you are in (unless I missed it), someone on A.A. may live fairly close to you, someone who has Nystatin or injectable Baytril (which can be added to the formula) and even other meds that may be beneficial. This would be most helpful if your vet or a vet could be reached to ok the drugs. Driving so far (4 hrs. one way or even round trip is a pain and can even be dangerous).

Good luck to both you and your bird.
Hi Toasty buns,

The 2 usual on call emergency vets are no where to be found on Christmas eve and Christmas. They are usually on call 24/7 the rest of the year. They don't have access to my bird's charts though, that isn't going to happen in this crappy little town. The closest one is almost 4 hours away and that may be more detrimental than keeping him here, warm and hydrated, until at least Saturday. I have called every vet within 2 hours and nothing. If I lived in the northern part of the state I would have it made. Not a d*mn thing around here as far as exotics.

He is eating again now. He has pigged out since the med has worn off. I think he'll be ok once this course is finished. Either way, he will see a vet asap. If I lived in a bigger town this wouldn't be such a problem. The one 4 hours away is open 24/7 365 days per year. They have 4 or 5 avian vets that take turns being on call. Not here. I hate it. And if you are an established client with them (like my vet who is really very good even though he thinks Christmas is the time of year to forget about pets, like all other vets in this hole) will take payments, held checks etc. Now I'm just complaining (spelled with a b i ) and it's doing me no good.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Deb, you are taking very good care of him!! :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Deb, you are taking very good care of him!! :hug8:
Thank you. I'm trying. I love him so much. I couldn't imagine life without him even after this short time that I've had him.
:hug8::hug8: He totally loves my husband and my husband is just as worried as I am. I've never seen my husband so upset over a pet before. He sees him like our dog and cat, as family. Oh God, please pull our little Buddy through this. :angel1:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Thank you. I'm trying. I love him so much. I couldn't imagine life without him even after this short time that I've had him.
:hug8::hug8: He totally loves my husband and my husband is just as worried as I am. I've never seen my husband so upset over a pet before. He sees him like our dog and cat, as family. Oh God, please pull our little Buddy through this. :angel1:
awww *hugs* to your hubby too!!!

liltweets

Jogging around the block

awww *hugs* to your hubby too!!!
Thank you. :) :)

Buddy is eating, again, without regurgitating. I really think it's the antibiotic that's doing it, even though it's helping him. He had quit eating all together before the med. And he's beak grinding, I just love that sound. :heart::heart: I hope this lasts. Please get better little boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.