• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Nuka

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I'm so sorry to hear about Nuka, I hope she feels better soon. You're doing absolutely everything you can for her.

I had a parrotlet who had something similar (although he wasn't really showing any neurological signs) but he had an enlarged liver - rescue so unsure what his past was but he was fed on canary seed for goodness knows how long. He would never touch pellets (and would never touch any form of pellet no matter how patiently or differently I presented it), when he got sick he was moved to a better seed mix. The avian vet advised for me to give him this tea (cooled) daily: Dr Stuarts Liver Detox Tea | Holland & Barrett (hollandandbarrett.com) (as he was so small it was hard to dose with just milk thistle) - which helped a lot. He was on it daily pretty much forever and it gave me many more happy years with him. I managed to train him to enjoy the drink as well which helped a lot in terms of stress, I would give him something sweeter after, usually sweet potato or apple so once he learned there was good stuff after he happily took it.

Just thought I'd share my experience, hopefully reassure you a bit that being on milk thistle forever isn't too bad - it definitely was worth it.
Thank you so much

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I am sorry to hear she took a turn again-- I hope the milk thistle helps her for as long as possible.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Thought I would update you guys ^^
Took Nuka to the vet, she sadly has fatty liver disease.
Milk thistle is really helping her out and getting her on a better road.
Sadly she still doesn't really fly, if she does she can't make it to where she used and sometimes fall down. We did all the test, except the fatty liver disease nothing is wrong with her and no ineffection in her liver. We just have to wait it out, give milk thistle daily and enjoy are time together (hopefully for a long time).

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Also wondering if I should get her back on harrison's high potency. Seeing it says that is for liver diseases and all of this started going down a few months after fullt switching her to adult lifetime.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Aww I hope your sweety gets better soon.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update Kira. Poor Nuka. I hope someone chimes in with info about Harrison's food. Could you call them and ask if the HP could help?