• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Nuka

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey everyone,
Just really want to unload to people who will hopefully get it.
Nuka is sadly sick. Took her to the vet cause she was falling, not really using one of her leggs. Thinking it was broken but on pictures nothing was broken, so they thought something neurological. After doing a bunch of test all of they say she has an enlarged heart or liver. They didn't say anything about her legg anymore but I guess they think that that is the reason for her legg.
She is on antibiotics, anti-inflammatories/ painkillers and liquid mariadistel.
I asked them what the reason could be for her having this, they said it happens with all seed diets. Which I explained Nuka gets harrisons everyday and about once a week a tiny scoop of her seed mix or two/three nutriberries.
Which than they said could also be that it's just an infection of her liver and that's why it's enlarged. Did buy her from the petshop unringed, so can't know 100% for sure how old she is. She looks to a bit better since taking her to the vet (this is the best avian vet, so can't take her anywhere else).
Just wanted to know if anyone ever experienced this.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't experienced this with my Linnie but he's only 10 months old but my Green Cheek Conure did end up having fatty liver disease even though in her 11 years with me the only seed she got was a few safflower seeds a week. But I adopted her unbanded from a rehome add so I don't know if she was actually a year old like I was told. Her only symptoms were gaining weight unexpectedly.

She was put on milk thistle and Ursodol(sp) and they did help a lot but in the end I lost to her heart giving out

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I hope Nuka responds to the medicine and feels better.

You are a great burd momma!!

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I haven't experienced this with my Linnie but he's only 10 months old but my Green Cheek Conure did end up having fatty liver disease even though in her 11 years with me the only seed she got was a few safflower seeds a week. But I adopted her unbanded from a rehome add so I don't know if she was actually a year old like I was told. Her only symptoms were gaining weight unexpectedly.

She was put on milk thistle and Ursodol(sp) and they did help a lot but in the end I lost to her heart giving out
Big hugs

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Kira, I'm so sorry about Nuka. I have no advice but hope she feels better soon.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I hope the meds help her and make her feel better big hugs :hug8:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you ^^ Nuka seems to be doing better, not 100% herself but a ton compared to friday :)
This is so good to hear glad she’s going better than she was

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
This is so good to hear glad she’s going better than she was
Yess ^^, she couldn't perch without falling or really walk. So I am glad. Still going to make some tiny adjustments to her cage. Normally she has woodchips but just in case she does fall, I am going to put fleece at buttom so it will be softer. She has a montana madeira 1 cage. She luckily isn't a cloth eater or biter and is now sitting on a fleece blanket in a smaller cage, will keep her there untill she is off her antibiotics.

Just really happy she is on a good road, leaving her at the vet friday at first for probally the weekend and saying that it was neurological and not a sprained or broken leg, really made me fear they were going to put her down. But she is here, doing better and getting alot of cuddles ^^

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a gorgeous girlie she is! She happy to hear that she's feeling better.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
She’s very cute :heart:
I hope she feels better :hug8:

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
So sadly Nuka is/ was doing bad again. The vet made me gave her milk thistle again, she is turning around day by day. We are disgussing that the milk thistle will be a forever thing. They were really hoping it was an one time thing and stay away but sadly it isn't.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry Kira. I hope so much that the treatment works and she continues to progress.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I'm so sorry Kira. I hope so much that the treatment works and she continues to progress.
Thank you, I hope so too. :hug8:
She really is my best friend.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Heres hoping the treatment is working and sending you :hug8:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I'm so sorry to hear about Nuka, I hope she feels better soon. You're doing absolutely everything you can for her.

I had a parrotlet who had something similar (although he wasn't really showing any neurological signs) but he had an enlarged liver - rescue so unsure what his past was but he was fed on canary seed for goodness knows how long. He would never touch pellets (and would never touch any form of pellet no matter how patiently or differently I presented it), when he got sick he was moved to a better seed mix. The avian vet advised for me to give him this tea (cooled) daily: Dr Stuarts Liver Detox Tea | Holland & Barrett (hollandandbarrett.com) (as he was so small it was hard to dose with just milk thistle) - which helped a lot. He was on it daily pretty much forever and it gave me many more happy years with him. I managed to train him to enjoy the drink as well which helped a lot in terms of stress, I would give him something sweeter after, usually sweet potato or apple so once he learned there was good stuff after he happily took it.

Just thought I'd share my experience, hopefully reassure you a bit that being on milk thistle forever isn't too bad - it definitely was worth it.