• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Green Cheek Conure? Anxiety?

Kristina_renee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kristina
My son has a Green Cheek Conure. He currently does online school so he is home all day. We purchased Blue in February this year. He will be 1yr on Thursday. He came from Petco which is not where I wanted to get a bird but he felt sorry for him as they had had blue in the small cage for months. He was so scared of anyone when we got him to the point feeding him was difficult. He now is totally attached to my son and me to the point that if anyone leaves the room for a second he screeches uncontrollably until our return. This is another topic I need to deal with as someday my son will have a job to go to. His diet consists of pretty much 100% chop. Kale, broccoli slaw, bell peppers, carrots, bananas, apples, and some grain (Quinoa, brown rice, etc). He gets seeds maybe once a week as a treat. Twice now I have almost needed to take him to the emergency vet. Both times were a weekend and the only emergency vet doesn't deal with birds and last time I took a cockatiel they said they couldn't help. Both times it was early morning and he was not staying on his feet and his eyes were almost closed. He was wobbly and fluffed up. Both times we brought him downstairs and fed him and held him. He then after 1/2 hour or so goes completely back to normal, squawking, running around, etc. Today was the third time this happened. Today was worse as I thought he was dying. I was panicking and getting my stuff together to take him in while my son was comforting him and but then he started acting better just before heading out the door. I decided to feed him and everything was fine. I realized that last time this happened my son was very sick and was in his room for a couple of days and Blue was alone for those two days other than me feeding him. I work 10 hour days. Yesterday my son was in his room sick all day too. Can a bird have such strong separation anxiety that it can make him physically sick? My son has spent the last 5 months from waking hours till bedtime with this bird on his shoulder. He even has to take him downstairs just to get a drink to avoid the loud squawking. I am still making him an appt with the avian vet but was curious if this is a coincidence that it has only happened after spending a day alone.
Here is a link to how he is acting right now on my sons Youtube channel. He is currently molting so he looks worse for wear right now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kristina,

I think you should take the bird to the vet and explain what has been going on. It is advised to visit the vet annually, even if there´s nothing wrong.

Also, maybe introduce some pellets to Blues diet.

I hope he will be ok ❤

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your diet lacks protein for one thing. There’s a group on Facebook by Dr. Jason Crean. I always mess up the name. Something like Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition. Why don’t you join it (it’s free) and ask him about the diet?

I agree with @Zara , a vet visit might be needed. Be sure to see an Avian vet, preferably certified avian.

Kristina_renee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kristina
He does get protein in his chop. He gets lentils, legumes and varieties of beans. Greene lentils his favorite and he will eat quite a bit. He has pellets that he refuses to eat. I have tried 3 different ones. I have mixed them in with his chop but he eats around them. I am making him an appt with the vet. We only have one vet here that deals with birds and exotic animals. Next one is 100 miles away.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
There is one important thing his diet doesn't give him that the right pellets would and that is vitamin d. It is needed to absorb calcium and the only other way to get it is sunlight exposure. Sunlight through a window doesn't work. You would have to put your bird outside for hours a week. Pellets are much easier. Your bird is sure a cute and affectionate little guy. I imagine he does get somewhat stressed when alone since he spends so much time with your son but I wouldn't trust that to be the problem without a good vet exam.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Have you tried mixing pellets with birdie bread? I make my own so I can control the ingredients but that could be a good way of getting Blue to eat pellets.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
God's food - egg. Mash up a hard boiled egg and offer it up mixed in whatever meal you put the quinoa in. Or just mixed with the quinoa itself. Add alfalfa to the recipe, as you would any herb. Plain grass is loaded with plenty of vitamins too. Learn to sprout seeds rather than offering the seed itself.
Definitely move him toward eating pellets. You can soak them a little to soften them and add them to the chop. And, as @BeanieofJustice pointed out birdie bread is a great way to get them to eat something they'd rather not.

Last edited: