• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Cockatiel

Chibublydb

Moving in
Hi everyone. New member here
I’m worried about my 1 year oldcockatiel. She has been drinking excessively and has poor appetite. She is also sleeping most of day.
She is breathing normally, isn’t egg bound, doesn’t have a fever. She does wake up and eat and drink but goes back to sleep.
I took her to an avian vet who prescribed antibiotics for a bacterial infection. It’s only been a day but I think she’s worse than before. She was still more active yesterday than today. Was preening herself and playing and flying.
the vet did not do any tests. The diagnosis is based off of physical examination and they do not run tests here. Could there be something else?
Attaching two recent poop pictures
She has polyuria. She has been drinking water more than normal since I got her at 3 months.
My other birds are normal. For now I have separated her and giving her electrolytes and warmth

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What kind of antibiotics did they give you? My tiels are usually tired the day after a vet appointment as it's pretty stressful.

@Ripshod ?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Antibiotics often make things worse before they get better. You've had antibiotics yourself yh?
Sounds like a broad spectrum antibiotic was prescribed, in which case I can only advise you to follow the vet's instructions for the full course.
She has been drinking water more than normal since I got her at 3 months.
To state the obvious how do you compare to normal when she's drunk the same amount since day one? While polyuria can be a symptom of illness it can also be a sign if stress, or it could just be normal for your specific bird. I had a tiel that exhibited polyuria with no cause - he just liked to keep topped up.

Chibublydb

Moving in
Antibiotics often make things worse before they get better. You've had antibiotics yourself yh?
Sounds like a broad spectrum antibiotic was prescribed, in which case I can only advise you to follow the vet's instructions for the full course.

To state the obvious how do you compare to normal when she's drunk the same amount since day one? While polyuria can be a symptom of illness it can also be a sign if stress, or it could just be normal for your specific bird. I had a tiel that exhibited polyuria with no cause - he just liked to keep topped up.
I have other tiels and none of them drink near as much as she does. I’m hope there’s no underlying cause with Chippy as well.