• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick cockatiel

Chibublydb

Moving in
Hi everyone. New member here
I’m worried about my 1 year oldcockatiel. She has been drinking excessively and has poor appetite. She is also sleeping most of day.
She is breathing normally, isn’t egg bound, doesn’t have a fever. She does wake up and eat and drink but goes back to sleep.
I took her to an avian vet who prescribed antibiotics for a bacterial infection. It’s only been a day but I think she’s worse than before. She was still more active yesterday than today. Was preening herself and playing and flying.
the vet did not do any tests. The diagnosis is based off of physical examination and they do not run tests here. Could there be something else?
Attaching two recent poop pictures
She has polyuria. She has been drinking water more than normal since I got her at 3 months.
My other birds are normal. For now I have separated her and giving her electrolytes and warmth

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your cockatiel is ill. Which antibiotic did your vet prescribe? What is the reason they don't do any tests? If they don't do blood tests can that at least do a culture and sensitivity to determine if this is a bacterial infection or possibly a fungal infection and also determine which antibiotic or antifungal will be the most effective.
Good idea to call the vet and discuss your concerns or possibly find another vet who is willing to do more than a physical exam.
Hope all will be well with your 'tiel.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They should have done at least a poo test..what antibiotic did they give you? Some will make them lose they're appetite and change they're poo. Some are allergic to certain antibiotics..Hope hes better soon, Do not hesitate to call the vet back.

Chibublydb

Moving in
They should have done at least a poo test..what antibiotic did they give you? Some will make them lose they're appetite and change they're poo. Some are allergic to certain antibiotics..Hope hes better soon, Do not hesitate to call the vet back.
Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. Thank you for your answer. My girl is doing better. Hopefully she recovers fully

Chibublydb

Moving in
Is it possible for a bird to have stringy urates while on antibiotics?