• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick cockatiel. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
I brought jasper to the vet yesterday and he was given a shot of b12 and Vit a. They also sent me home with some red drops to put in his water but he won't drink so he said I could give it to him twice a day. Well, he's so weak and hasn't eaten in about 2 days. I tried calling the vet today but he won't be in til tomorrow. I don't think Jasper will last much longer. Any help please! We weren't able to get a stool sample at the vet but the roof of his mouth was red so the vet thought it was similar to strep throat. How do you feed a sick cockatiel? Thanks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely try to get a different avian vet....and rush him on on emergency..keep him warm in the meantime and try not to stress him out too much..it sounds like it may be a respiratory infection of some kind....he needs to see a vet asap

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
The feeding can be done by a syringe, into the beak, of soft weaning baby parrot forumula that usually comes in the form of a thick powder that is mixed with boiled water that has been cooled off to room temperature. But the more serious concern is that he hasn't eaten in two days and may be dehydrating very fast. If he gets weaker and not able to take any food or water, then he may need to be taken to an Emergency vet clinic closest to you. If he is not drinking, he will be less likely to eat, so you'll have to act fast with veterinary care, and not tomorrow.

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
Try to get some baby hand feeding formula or some of his favorite veggies,or pellets ( mashed and thinned with water or juice) in him with a syringe....that helped when my baby was once to weak to eat....hope your baby will get better soon:hug8:

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
The problem is he's the only avian vet in town. Closest one besides him is 2 hours away and not an ER vet. I just picked up some baby bird formula to try.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I moved your thread to the 911 section where it will be seen more

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Are there any other vets in your area? As last resort you can phone a dog/cat vet to see if they know of anything about birds. If you do go to another vet, if you have the receipt of the treatment done to your bird from the previous vet visit to show the new vet. Explain your concern about not eating and possible dehydration. ASK the vet to do some Sub-Q fluids to hydrate him. The vet can also show you how to crop gavage feed and do the Sub-q fluids at home.

Another suggestion, if there is no local vets familiar with birds is there a Wildlife Care Center in your area? Many times they may have a staff vet or vet tech experienced in emergency treatments such as Sub-Q and crop/gavage feeding.

OR....if there are breeders in your area, phone them for suggestions and if they can look at your bird, or know of anyone experienced to do the above suggestions.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
AS mean as this sounds hun you need to get fluid in him anyone have ideas he needs more than just water shringe some water into his open mouth drops at first . SOmeone here will know of a vet who is closer or someone who can call and help to

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
This was the only vet recommend by breeders in our area. The only ER vet in town doesn't do birds. I've called. I just fixed the formula and am letting it cool down. Crossing fingers I get something in his system.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Keep him warm to not hot warm wet a towel Microwave it for a minute and put in plastic bag under dry towel..and him on top

Last edited:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Wow it looks like such an amazing place!

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
Here are some maybe in your area..

Bird Vets
Thanks so much! I brought him to the Downtown Animal Hospital because that is where the local breeders bring their birds. Most of the other vets don't specialize in avainary needs. I was able to get some formula in him and now he just wants to cuddle. Poor baby! The vet gave me Spectam drops. Anyone familiar with this? I'm goin to call him first thing in the morning. Right now, he's quarantined in my bathroom and keeping warm. He has fresh food and water available but hasn't touched it so that's why I resorted to the formula. Thanks everyone for your love and support!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
So glad he's at least taking some formula, Charisse. He'll get some fluids this way. I'd keep hand-feeding him couple few hours if he'll take it easily enough to ensure he gets some nutrients, even if it is only a few drops, until he sees the A.V. again. Keep us posted :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hoping your little one feels better soon. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would suggest a new vet. An avian vet would not look in his mouth and say strep throat, or redness. They would have done a culture because they would know it was serious. I drive two hours to see a real avian vet. The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Association

Keep fluids in. Electrolytes if you have to, they dehydrate very fast. :hug8::hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh poor baby....keep him warm as others said. I am also a little concerned with the vet's diagnosis.....hope things go well tonight and tomorrow....:hug8:

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pedialyte or gatorade will give him important electrolytes. I hope your baby bounces back!

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Wow it looks like such an amazing place!

Sorry wrong post. Ugh computer meltdown! My keyboard is gone bonkers!

I hope the best for the poor little sick one. :hug8: Perhaps you could do an emergency phone consult with a vet that might be farther away. I agree that you need to get some fluids into him. I hope you were at least able to get some formula into him.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Fluids are the key that much is so for any mammal Including us...

Status
Not open for further replies.