• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick cat

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Think my cat is really sick. She threw up. Refused two meals and she never misses. Won’t come out. She still drinks water and went downstairs but I don’t know guys. I think I might be losing her. :cry:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
How old is she ...is she dehydrated..can you take her temp...raise her upper lip and check her gums for a nice pink color...I would recommend a vet to be sure :hug4:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Can you get her into the vet? Is she still using the box or is she going where she sits? Do you have to drag her out of her hiding spots? Is she very stiff in movements, for example walking really close to the ground?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
16 years old and she has kidney failure. She was given 6 months to live and that was almost 4 years ago. She won’t be going to the vet. We’ve made the decision earlier not to take her and revisited that today. My boy cat went to the vet, got pumped full of antibiotics and when he came out of the carrier, stumbled, never walked again and died that night. It was the biggest regret of my life.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
How old is she ...is she dehydrated..can you take her temp...raise her upper lip and check her gums for a nice pink color...I would recommend a vet to be sure :hug4:
She has been drinking water only, no food. So I will boil a chicken and give her chicken broth since she will still drink. If I have to, I’ll force her to have a little pedialyte

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Can you get her into the vet? Is she still using the box or is she going where she sits? Do you have to drag her out of her hiding spots? Is she very stiff in movements, for example walking really close to the ground?
She’s in one of her spots, not under the bed. She’s comfortable, purring, going downstairs. Just won’t eat. I’m hoping that it’s just an upset stomach since she threw up yesterday before she stopped eating

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Oh good I would be really worried if she had any of the things I mentioned. Have you tried canned food to see if she will eat that?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She’s so old but still hanging on. I’m really hoping she just doesn’t feel well. Just Sunday, I had to fight her off my lunch. She kept trying to help herself and was more persistent than usual. By Tuesday evening, she was refusing food. But that quick of a turn, I’m hoping will pass

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Oh good I would be really worried if she had any of the things I mentioned. Have you tried canned food to see if she will eat that?
If I wanted to pull her out, which I did last night just to check her, I can. We have 2 parts of stairs and hubby says she wasn’t limping, just walking slow, but he also doesn’t pay attention to details as I would. She eats canned food. I got rid of the one she was eating just in case. And opened a brand new can. Still nothing. I’m going to try those tube treats but I’m sure nothing. She turned down bologna last night so for sure, her stomach isn’t right. Ok ok that could happen to us and it passes in 24-48 hours. I’m hoping that’s it. The vet did say that she had in “full renal failure” I believe was his words, but that was years ago. And she had a small lump about a year back and it got smaller. Obviously it could have grown more internally. She is a ravenous girl but still skinny. Her partner died 3 years ago, her daughter died 2 years ago and that was rough to watch. 3 weeks of getting worse and we were going to set a date to let her go but she passed on her own later that day. I’m just very scared.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yesterday morning, she woke us up at dawn and went about her normal morning routine. She ate her food, all of it. Later, I found vomit upstairs. Then she’s been sleeping and not eating since. She’s not hiding though

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Poor girl! :( If you can get her into the vet that would probably be a good idea! Better safe than not and if she is in any kind of pain they could give her something. It would be good to get things checked out! :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry your kitty is not doing well. If you want no further treatments tell you vet that information and he or she may make some suggestions, you have not thought of. It's the point where comfort becomes more important than fighting disease. I would not push foods on her as this may serve only to make her nauseated and vomiting more often. Let her lead the way. Cats are smart critters.

Ways To Help Cats with CKD. 1 Diet Modifications. A prescription diet restricting protein and phosphorus may be one of the first changes recommended with early renal disease. 2 Medications. 3 Hydration. 4 Subcutaneous Fluids. 5 Reduce Stress. Sub Q fluids are done to help with the effects of dehydration, often as a comfort measure. Also, baby meat in a jar is often accepted by a sick cat but if she still vomits hold off.

Last edited:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She
I am sorry your kitty is not doing well. If you want no further treatments tell you vet that information and he or she may make some suggestions, you have not thought of. It's the point where comfort becomes more important than fighting disease. I would not push foods on her as this may serve only to make her nauseated and vomiting more often. Let her lead the way. Cats are smart critters.

Ways To Help Cats with CKD. 1 Diet Modifications. A prescription diet restricting protein and phosphorus may be one of the first changes recommended with early renal disease. 2 Medications. 3 Hydration. 4 Subcutaneous Fluids. 5 Reduce Stress. Sub Q fluids are done to help with the effects of dehydration, often as a comfort measure. Also, baby meat in a jar is often accepted by a sick cat but if she still vomits hold off.
Thanks! She’s been on prescribed wet food, which I think has been important in keeping her alive. She’s drinking. She came out of her spot on her own, tried to get sun (there is none), got pets, and drank water. She wouldn’t eat but she went downstairs and drank water just a bit ago.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She’s out looking for pets. Drinking more water than usual. But still not eating. I gave her milk and she put her paw in but didn’t drink. I’m making chicken and carrot broth now. None of her favorite treats are working. And usually she’s like clockwork, never misses a mealtime and let’s us know. Now, nothing. Fingers crossed for the broth

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Agree. Fluid therapy can do wonders especially older cat chronic kidney

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

My older girl needed sq fluids daily for her last year of life .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
They have that rescue pet gel. Some times I'd give her 1/2 inch and she would start eating again. It's mostly a little sugar with vitamins but really acted like food stimulus. Or boosted her glucose.

And you can offer a heating pad with towl on . Many appreciate the soothing warnth.

Big hugs!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is she in pain? I hate to mention the negative stuff but I am led to believe organ failure is quite scary and painful, maybe she would benefit from pain relief?

I am a firm advocate and believer in quality of life over quantity of life being more important for companion pets and if the option is there to keep them pain free till the end then that is what I want for my animals more than anything else in the world.

I am so sorry you are both dealing with this :(

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Is she in pain? I hate to mention the negative stuff but I am led to believe organ failure is quite scary and painful, maybe she would benefit from pain relief?

I am a firm advocate and believer in quality of life over quantity of life being more important for companion pets and if the option is there to keep them pain free till the end then that is what I want for my animals more than anything else in the world.

I am so sorry you are both dealing with this :(
No pain, if I wake her up, she will willingly come out and hang out with me. She hasn’t been hiding. She’s gone up and down many times today to drink from different water bowls. It’s just her appetite is gone. She doesn’t wake us up every 2-4 hours wanting to switch rooms. She doesn’t wake us up at 530 to be fed breakfast. If she wasn’t so old, I would think she just didn’t feel well. I’m mostly concerned cus I know we’ve been managing her disease for the past few years. And because literally Sunday she was her ravenous self and Tuesday morning she threw up and wouldn’t really eat after that. I thought maybe she got into something and had a something ache but still no food. She showed interest in the chicken and the milk and took one lick but that’s it. I was surprised she even showed interest and inspected. I’m hoping that hunger takes over tomorrow