• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severely stunted growth

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Hello this is my first post! So I hope I’m doing it right!! I have a 5 week old cockatiel the size of a 7 day baby! We had a vet visit today! Vet said he wasn’t going to make it and would unlikely grow any more! I could not put him to sleep as I wasn’t ready for that diagnosis and my young daughter was with me who was distraught... I’d never do it in front of her!! Dose any one have any similar situations or anything regarding extreme stunted growth.. I’m just going to give him a bit more time to be sure thanks heaps

Attachments

Revali

Walking the driveway
Considering it's young age and I'm guessing its not suffering. Let it live out all the time it can while its here. Caring for animals is always good and even good for kids to see/absorb. All living things benefit from compassion and who knows if he makes it what a pet he'll be!
:tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had a chick (chicken) who perished from a similar problem. I cared for her until 8 weeks and she ended up passing from cardiac failure. She was such a sweetheart. She stopped growing at around 5 -6 weeks and had unusual growth overall.

It is really sad when they go, but worth giving them all of the positive time you can. Extra snuggles and extra love.

Sometimes these very sad things happen to birdies. In the wild parent birds are lucky to get 25% of their nest to adulthood.

I hope your little cockatiel is improving. :fairy3::sorrow:

Attachments