• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe or Hans Macaw

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
my little boy is 3 hahns, extremely active bird. dont know where they get the energy. smart capable and loud as well. mine squawks often. if i had to complain it would be im probably going deaf. otherwise great bird and great personality

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
how old was he when you adopted? Did you get him from a rescue?
Jericho was 11 or 12 when he came to live with me, a little more than 3 years ago.

A local bird store facilitates rehomes and that's where I met him. I spent quite a bit of time socializing with their boarding and rehome macaws before clicking with Jericho.

One thing I'll add about size is a comment about people being scared of birds. A friend of mine, who has a green cheek conure, and is comfortable around Sun Conures (close-ish in size to Hahn's), is not comfortable around Jericho. He doesn't even want to try to interact... just too big for my friend. Depending on your situation, think about whether others will interact with your future bird, and consider their needs as well (especially if they'll cohabitate). Even though a Severe isn't a big macaw, they're still big enough to intimidate.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
my jefferson spends his days like this in his rubber ring. he spills everything and screams when the microwave beeps knowing food is around. like a 2 yr old child. I have a 4 yr old so i speak truth. he actually screams daddy daddy all day like her as well wish i could upload it here. its a handful for a hahns, cant even imagine bigger. god bless everyone

Attachments

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
my jefferson spends his days like this in his rubber ring. he spills everything and screams when the microwave beeps knowing food is around. like a 2 yr old child. I have a 4 yr old so i speak truth. he actually screams daddy daddy all day like her as well wish i could upload it here. its a handful for a hahns, cant even imagine bigger. god bless everyone
If you ever get a video i would love to see it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not the video you asked for but this is an account in Venezuela.

Some evidence that Severe Macaws can live in a flock and my guy's preference for being solo is likely nurture, not nature.

http://instagr.am/p/CPeGaxlp-D0/
Ohhh she posts some amazing footage! She’s really quite a sweet lady too.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not the video you asked for but this is an account in Venezuela.

Some evidence that Severe Macaws can live in a flock and my guy's preference for being solo is likely nurture, not nature.

http://instagr.am/p/CPeGaxlp-D0/
That's amazing! And I love that there is a B&G on the rail because it gives a frame of reference for their size!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
If you ever get a video i would love to see it!
hes very shy when i put the camera direct so most of my video is partial view heres one i just put. im peaking in the door way of my bird room, my daughter is running around in background. when the video starts he says daddy! in my daughters voice and laughs like her

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
hes very shy when i put the camera direct so most of my video is partial view heres one i just put. im peaking in the door way of my bird room, my daughter is running around in background. when the video starts he says daddy! in my daughters voice and laughs like her

You have a senegal also? Jeff has a very cute voice.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I have a Hahns. I think you may not be picturing their size correctly. They are about 165g, very slightly larger than a Sun Conure. A Severe is much larger, twice the size at 300-410g. I would never ever think to free fly a Hahns outside.
my hahns is exactly 165g. I agree a severe double that. leaning more toward the full blown macaw with a severe i believe as far as sound and beak damage.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
There are simply more of them in the trade. They are compact, adorable, and breed easily, and the price tag is low enough that now people can afford them. But that also means more to
There are simply more of them in the trade. They are compact, adorable, and breed easily, and the price tag is low enough that now people can afford them. But that also means more to be rehomed.
I tried to first get a severe before my hahns. i got in touch with several breeders and it seemed like they were harder to breed or find period. illigers were almost impossible to find as well. hahns is the only for some reason of his smaller cousins to be readily available. but even the hahns disappears sometimes

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am searching for a hahns for last 6 months... They're really rare to find here. A hahns is my dream bird.

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors

Awwwwww so sweet! Thank you! I love it!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I am searching for a hahns for last 6 months... They're really rare to find here. A hahns is my dream bird.

where are you located? they are usually hatched bet april and may from what I know, best time to find them July to September. i took mine after he was on seed pellets, few months after birth in the end of august i believe.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
where are you located? they are usually hatched bet april and may from what I know, best time to find them July to September. i took mine after he was on seed pellets, few months after birth in the end of august i believe.
Thanks for the information... I'll ask the shops... I am in India, breeders here mainly raise larger macaws.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any problem adopting an adult hahns also.