• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe or Hans Macaw

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! I am trying to decide between a Severe or a Hans Macaw. I have some bird experience but am doing lots of research...hence the question...Severe versus Hans macaw. I have heard many people state that a severe may not make as good of a companion as a Hans. I was wanting a bigger bird (not a large Mac) so the severe appealed to me. Also their colors are gorgeous!!! However the little Hans is sooo cute with their voice. I'm looking for a bird that can go in the car, chill with me on the couch and maybe free flight in the future. Of course snuggles are a plus, but I'm not counting on it as it depends on the bird personality (by snuggles I mean head and neck scratches). I am open to baby or adoption, but leaning towards adoption because of my age...48. I really want your opinion about the species. Maybe they are so close in species that it doesn't matter? Please advise......

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
While I can’t help you make this decision, I love macaws! And, I’ve been interested in a Hans for a while.

All that to say—following! Lol!

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have a Hahns. I think you may not be picturing their size correctly. They are about 165g, very slightly larger than a Sun Conure. A Severe is much larger, twice the size at 300-410g. I would never ever think to free fly a Hahns outside.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahn’s gets my vote they’re generally less temperamental and they’re so dashing!!! Keep us updated on what you decide

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahn’s gets my vote they’re generally less temperamental
Do you actually have experience with this species or are you going by stuff you've read about them?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tbh just from what I’ve read and from what I’ve seen from people who own Hahn’s

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
I have a Hahns. I think you may not be picturing their size correctly. They are about 165g, very slightly larger than a Sun Conure. A Severe is much larger, twice the size at 300-410g. I would never ever think to free fly a Hahns outside.

Ohhhhh no, let me clarify. We have a giant area in my back yard that i want to turn into a flying arena. It will be covered. So perhaps I misspoke when I said "free flight". I suppose it is not technically free flight if they are covered. :)

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
Do you actually have experience with this species or are you going by stuff you've read about them?
Only stuff I have read. I realize that spending time with the species would probably be ideal, but I was just hoping for some first hand bird experience.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's okay - I was asking someone else about their experience. I thought you probably wanted to hear people's first-hand experience with these birds rather than going by what someone else has read about them.

Unfortunately there is a lot of poor information about parrot species' temperaments and lots of very broad generalisations. Unlike domestic animals, parrots have never been selectively bred for temperament. While there may be some very general trends, parrots of any species as individuals. As such it's very difficult to make predictions about what interacting with an individual bird will be like, and whether you'd end up with a bird that is relatively chill and happy to hang out with you.

It's especially difficult predicting what a juvenile bird will be like after they've gone through puberty and early adulthood when their hormones are all over the place. An older bird is likely to be more settled - what you see is what you get.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Mini Macaws

My Hahns barely talked so if you are only wanting that little bubbly adorable voice, don't count on that ;)

I would probably keep both my options open and see what becomes available. The Hahns though you are more likely to find an adult to rehome than the Severe.

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
It's okay - I was asking someone else about their experience. I thought you probably wanted to hear people's first-hand experience with these birds rather than going by what someone else has read about them.

Unfortunately there is a lot of poor information about parrot species' temperaments and lots of very broad generalisations. Unlike domestic animals, parrots have never been selectively bred for temperament. While there may be some very general trends, parrots of any species as individuals. As such it's very difficult to make predictions about what interacting with an individual bird will be like, and whether you'd end up with a bird that is relatively chill and happy to hang out with you.

It's especially difficult predicting what a juvenile bird will be like after they've gone through puberty and early adulthood when their hormones are all over the place. An older bird is likely to be more settled - what you see is what you get.
Yes! Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know why the hans is more likely? Just curious.
There are simply more of them in the trade. They are compact, adorable, and breed easily, and the price tag is low enough that now people can afford them. But that also means more to be rehomed.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have a 15-ish year old Severe (Jericho) and he's a gentle soul -- with me. I can do anything with him, including file his nails.

He was raised in a one-bird household, and came to my one-person household, so I suspect those things have reinforced him being a velcro bird.

This is good or bad depending on the situation/environment. He was rehomed because he flew at the previous owner's grandkids. Jericho doesn't like it when he isn't the centre of my attention, so it appears his trigger is jealousy of others interacting with his person. This includes people, other birds, and my late dog.

I have only experienced Hahn's at a local shop and as others have stated, the size difference is significant. Jericho is 460g.

Ask me anything; I'll be happy answer what I'm able.

Bonus recall video because you mentioned free-flight...

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
I have a 15-ish year old Severe (Jericho) and he's a gentle soul -- with me. I can do anything with him, including file his nails.

He was raised in a one-bird household, and came to my one-person household, so I suspect those things have reinforced him being a velcro bird.

This is good or bad depending on the situation/environment. He was rehomed because he flew at the previous owner's grandkids. Jericho doesn't like it when he isn't the centre of my attention, so it appears his trigger is jealousy of others interacting with his person. This includes people, other birds, and my late dog.

I have only experienced Hahn's at a local shop and as others have stated, the size difference is significant. Jericho is 460g.

Ask me anything; I'll be happy answer what I'm able.

Bonus recall video because you mentioned free-flight...
Oh my gosh this video is everything!!!! He is absolutely magnificent! Thank you!