• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking Advice - Possible Mating Behavior?

Frembly

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I have a lovebird named Bubo, who is a rescue. He has a bracelet on his right leg which I understand generally indicates male. Today he began displaying new behavior involving arching his back and holding his wings out slightly. I took a video of it and will post below. This looks a lot like female mating behavior to me but I'm new to bird care so I'm not sure what to make of it. Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Bubo's new behavior

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to Avian Avenue! :)

He has a bracelet on his right leg which I understand generally indicates male.
Because these birds are sexually monomophic I wouldn't take that as true. Unless the bird was DNA tested as a chick, which is very unlikely to take the sample, send it off, and receive it back before the chicks is two weeks old. If the bird had a dimorphic mutation (which yours does not) the right or left leg is pointless as the mutation will be visual.

It is a possibility your bird is female. However I have had males make those similar moves. A good indicator of being female is when they hold the wings wide open, and keep the pose held for some seconds at least. I have had males open their wings but never more than a second or two.

Female pose;
See how wide the wings are spread. Tail is lifted up.
IMG_20201004_005410.jpg

I have some videos I can share if you are still unsure :)
You may just need to wait a little while to see if any more notable indicators happen.

Frembly

Thank you so much for the info. I would love to check out those videos. I still have a lot to learn about lovebirds so all information is welcome.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
I would maybe move the ball so it’s not swinging onto their back as it looks to me that what’s happening and bubo is making it move to get that sensation from it

if your bird is female lovebird trust me you do not want a hormonal female mine is just fingers crossed coming out of it:banghead:

Frembly

I wondered if the ball was a factor. I just recently put it there. I will try to not have it be in a configuration where it can touch Bubo while he/she is on a perch.

Thank you

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I also don’t know maybe @Zara does if your species of lovebird shreds material and puts it in their rump my female does makes a perfect straight line in anything she shreds

I know this isn’t guaranteed gender tell either though

I would move it see if you see behaviour again

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I also don’t know maybe @Zara does if your species of lovebird shreds material and puts it in their rump my female does makes a perfect straight line in anything she shreds
No. All lovebirds shred. Only Roseicollis lovebirds tuck it in their rump.
OP's bird is A.Fischeri (Fischer's)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I know this isn’t guaranteed gender tell either though
Funny you say that. I am sitting here watch Adelie (female) shredding and tucking in her rump. I rate it a 4/10. Sydney who was male, was a master at shredding and tucking into his rump. 10/10!
So I personally think this is not even a way of getting a good guess of gender unlike pelvic bones and other behaviours.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Funny you say that. I am sitting here watch Adelie (female) shredding and tucking in her rump. I rate it a 4/10. Sydney who was male, was a master at shredding and tucking into his rump. 10/10!
So I personally think this is not even a way of getting a good guess of gender unlike pelvic bones and other behaviours.
There’s only indie that’s ever done it flys around with it stuck in her butt as my daughter says lol