• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scaredy Teil

Tess48119

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tess
My cockateil, Lulu, is very particular about the way her cage is set up.
She used to belong to a friend of a friend, who rehomed her to my family a few years ago. Her previous owner said how she was so adventurous and also loved to eat her greens. But when I put some leafy greens in her cage for her to nibble, she won't go to that side of the cage. Likewise, if I try to add a new perch, or a toy for her she refuses to go anywhere near it.

I had a male tiel in high school who was the opposite, he loved to explore anything new I gave him.
And when I was little my mum had budgies and she said she's never come across a bird with Lulus behaviour.

She's been this way since she has lived with us, could the move from her first home to my home have been too much?

I have been thinking about getting her a friend, maybe if she had some company to explore anything new with she would be braver?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

scotbird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dayna
Have you given her time to get used to new perch or toys before you put it in her cage? Like maybe have it sit nearby within her eyesight for a few days before giving her it so it's not a sudden change?