• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety Around the House

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I've been wondering a lot recently about what paints, appliances, and toys are safe and just if my house would be a safe environment at all. I'd like to know what specific things in my house I need to worry about. I know about teflon, heating issues with lamps, safe and dangerous woods/plants, chemicals other than very watered down white vinegar and Dawn, small spaces and such but I'd like to learn more about toxic items specifically paint.

I'm not sure how much of an issue it is but I don't want to take any chances with it. We only have stainless steel pots and pans except for one iron pan that has no teflon but also isn't stainless steel. I want to know

1. Are any pans that aren't stainless or ceramic alright as long as they have no teflon or zinc?
2. What paints are harmful for birds and if you were to fix it would just painting over it be adequate (plus maybe some suggestions of what paints to use)?
3. Are any other household items that I haven't mentioned toxic/dangerous for a bird to be exposed to?

I'm trying to be as cautious as I can because I want to be sure if I have a bird that it will be safe and healthy, plus this is a great resource to get advice and information easily! Thanks so much!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have a thread called "Safety avenue" go through it and let us Know if you have any questions. :hug8: