• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Climbing Alternatives

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
My indian ringneck cannot fly (combination of lung & joint damage). He also chews rope. I don't believe in preventing a bird from flying unless a medical need so this breaks my heart.

I used to use rope perches so he can access high up but I don't know what alternatives to provide?

It is so sad as he is desperate to go where the budgies can go and he can't! :arghh: He can climb fine, he currently uses curtains to get onto curtain pole which I hate, but not sure on how to provide safe climbing that doesn't involve rope or fabric?

It so difficult as I have to weigh up the pros and cons with him as he does fall, but he also has mental health issues from previous life, so if I completely remove his ability to go up high, he'll get anxious and chew himself!

20200329_195836.jpg

I worry about crop impaction as he already suffers a lot medically. Since I've had him he's had a lump in his nostril, fungal infection and now gout!

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Ooh maybe ladders? I bet you could even do custom ones with drilled PVC and dowels if you can’t find premade wooden ladders to your liking!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Wish I could get a ladder but I am in UK and only store I know who can make them has been closed for ages due to an accident. :( As I had ordered a custom ladder before shop shut but sadly now that isn't possible.

I have a disabilty so everything needs to be something I can buy from a store or can make without tools. haha

Is vet wrap safe if he chews it? I worry he would chew it and get his beak glued together. lol

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wish I could get a ladder but I am in UK and only store I know who can make them has been closed for ages due to an accident. :( As I had ordered a custom ladder before shop shut but sadly now that isn't possible.
Do you mean The Natural Bird Co? They're slowly starting to reopen but it is based on what Darran feels up to doing. Might be worth contacting them again and asking.