• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(SAD update post#51) Baby Wild Bird with maggots in nostrils - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Good for you, Ashley. Keep it up. You are definitely making a difference, and possibly the only reason this sweetheart is still alive and as comfortable as she is :thumbsup:

Teasha

just got 5 more! Seems like they are not coming as fast, so hopefully I put a dent in it. those •••••••• are coming out of there if I have to hold her all night and wait with tweezers in hand. I think that getting so many out has helped - at least to give her a fighting chance until morning - and as was mentioned: I worry about dead worms in there after the medicine is taken.
:hug8: She's lucky to have you!

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
A little back-story... I got Bridgette (that's her name, btw) 2 days ago from a father and son - the little boy found the downed nest after a storm. Bridgette's 3 siblings were dead, but she made it, and the little boy was SO proud that he helped her. I made sure to thank him and tell him that he did the exact right thing, and that he can bring me a bird any time. As sad as it can be to work with wildlife, I like that I get to see people showing compassion for another life - and teaching their children to do the same. Most of the time, it really does take little effort to do good.

I haven't seen any more parasites since I got those last 5 - before that it didn't take more than 30 seconds for more to come crawling. My plan was to keep at it until I saw no more, and I think it's best to call it a night and let her rest now. On the bright side, she is plump and hydrated, has been eating and pooping pretty well despite what must have been very unpleasant for her. I want to see her eating a lot more though. This girl is putting up a good fight! :o:

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
:cheer:Things are looking up! Your doing SUCH a great job..I know things are still up in the air but you are doing the best you can and that says a ton about you. Keep us posted and keep up the good work!:)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shes lucky you have her. I hope you got them all, its gross but youve already helped tremendously. Good luck and I hope shes gonna be ok.:hug8:

Zelda1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Really hoping everything works out for you both. She's lucky someone took the time to help her out and bring her to you instead of leaving her.

I'll be rooting for the little one tonight :hug8:.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad youve been able too pull so many out! good on you!
hope all goes well with the baby, and yourself and it get a good outcome!
All well-wishes too you!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
There are other different types of worms that can infect a bird's respiratory system. One that I know of is gape worms, but I have never seen them myself, only know of them from reading. These worms actually live in the bird and reproduce there as far as I could find out. Are you sure they are maggots?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Poor little thing. Thank you for helping her. I hope she can pull through this. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending lots of healing energy:hug8::hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Lois, I am not definite. The Capstar is supposed to work on parasites in general, so (according to another rehabber) it should be the same treatment either way. Also wanting to get her some antibiotics in case of an infection caused by all this. It's the middle of the night, I checked on her, and she is still sleeping and breathing normally (and there are more poops), and still no sign of any more maggots/worms.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If it is maggots that means that there is some kind of infected open wound in there. A trip to the vet's in is order.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope the update is good and that you can get her to a vet asap..praying for the little one and thank you for helping her!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be maggots. There are many different species of maggots, some of which (gadfly and botfly larvae, for instance) are parasitic and do feed on healthy tissue, especially if the animal is young and weak or ill. When I worked for a veterinarian as a college student, "warbles" or fly larvae infections were something we saw routinely in kittens in summer weather. I'd imagine young birds are susceptible as well.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I forget the name of the "maggot" but one type is seen in kittens. They ride on rabbits and get stuck on debri at the rabbit hole entrance. It then transfers to the next animal...in my case it was a kitten from SPCA and they didn't even know. I kept seeing white poke out. Being in Texas and vet seeing a lot knew exactly what it was. They had to put the cat to sleep briefly to get the maggot out. If left it would eat away all the healthy tissue. I don't remember what the cat was treated with if he was. Glad you are there to take on this challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.