• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(SAD update post#51) Baby Wild Bird with maggots in nostrils - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I have a baby bird (no tailfeathers yet - and flight feathers have not lost their sheath - otherwise a naked baby). She has some blood leaking out, and 3-4mm size worms (maggots?) in her nares. One crawled out, and I was able to grab a second one, but there seem to be lots (it would turn your stomach to see them) wiggling around. Trying to flick them out makes them crawl back in (this seems to cause her more pain) and I worry about further damaging the nostrils. I tried using a straw to suction the out, and that isn't working.

The chick is eating and pooping pretty well, but keeps her eyes closed and appears uncomfortable.

I am in contact with another more experienced wildlife rehabber, who is making calls and trying to figure out what we should do. Any advice is appreciated! I will check back often.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That does not sound good. There is some kind of infection in there. I don't know if you could even do a saline nasal flush if there's damage in there. Can you get him to the vet? At least s/he could see what is going on and if it's not fixable put the little one out of his misery.

Ginger

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Don't have any advice:( Sending you hugs. Hope you can get him some help.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As gross as this sounds, can you lure them out with some kind of meat, maybe room temperature hamburger. In other words give them something else to go to.

Ginger

Teasha

Oh yuck. *vomit* I am NOT good with maggots!

That sounds bad. Maggots in there do sound like an infection. Don't be surprised if he doesn't make it. I know that sounds awful, but once a bird is showing signs of illness their chances are lowered. I hope he makes it. :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Doing a little research I found that blowflies will attack wild bird nestlings. They can be anywhere on the baby, nostrils included.

The only solution I found was 5% seven dust sprinkled on nest and nestlings. That is just one person's recommendation. Manually removing them was what was most often advised.

Your rehabber hopefully has advice for you. There may be other causes for what you've found, and hopefully you'll get help quickly.

Teasha

As gross as this sounds, can you lure them out with some kind of meat, maybe room temperature hamburger. In other words give them something else to go to.

Ginger
That is a really good suggestion!

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
Prayers go out to you and the baby...it is hard to see something suffer..hope you get an answer soon that works.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
after many calls, got in touch with another rehabber. there is a medicine that should kill the parasites within an hour (Capstar caplets, emptied and mixed with water - very safe for birds even at high doses) but the only way to get them is a certain vet office tomorrow at 8am. I am tweezing out the ones I can get - got 10! but they are so difficult. if she makes it through the night I will have her there bright and early.

I'm so stressed out - this is my first week of rehab - I've buried 4 birds (none of whom I could have done anything for - but that doesn't make me feel any better) and now this rare case.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If they're maggots, they won't do any damage, they'll help him heal from whatever infection is causing them. The risk is that they could suffocate him. If they're blowflies, a saline flush could possibly help. The rehabber might have advice for something that can kill them that can be flushed. The risk with killing them is that their carcasses would cause the baby to suffocate or they would rot and cause more problems. I would do a flush with normal saline. It may do more harm than good, but it's something.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
after many calls, got in touch with another rehabber. there is a medicine that should kill the parasites within an hour (Capstar caplets, emptied and mixed with water - very safe for birds even at high doses) but the only way to get them is a certain vet office tomorrow at 8am. I am tweezing out the ones I can get - got 10! but they are so difficult. if she makes it through the night I will have her there bright and early.

I'm so stressed out - this is my first week of rehab - I've buried 4 birds (none of whom I could have done anything for - but that doesn't make me feel any better) and now this rare case.
Do you have any friends that are groomers? They might have capstar on hand. Some petstores carry it too.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor baby...keep tweezing them out for now...hope the poor thing makes it till the morning...

Teasha

Awww I could get you capstar but I'm know where near you! :(

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
she is stabilized, breathing normally, still eating for me, and wanting more moist food. I held her in my hand for a while and she relaxed. there are at least one or 2 more maggots in there (I will keep trying periodically to get them out - and am going to try the "baiting" idea). there is no more bleeding, and she seems more restful - but I worry that those •••• things are burrowing deeper. these are ones that will consume live tissue. it would be easy to treat if it weren't in her nasal passages. I will have capstar by tomorrow morning.

I will continue to check back here for ideas, and I will update when anything changes. Thanks for the support - it's been a very difficult week and I am trying to remain unattached so I can think straight and provide the best care possible. So upsetting when you feel powerless to help a little one... I am irrationally angry at those parasites - I know that sounds stupid.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
:hug8::hug8::hug8:You are doing the best you can.
thank you - I just hate that I'm new to this - but then again, the others didn't have what was needed either. I am having another rehabber get me some basic things next time she places an order (she can get them at cost for me). I have had a lot of moments of feeling overwhelmed lately, which is very unlike me. It's so very different being responsible for so many little lives.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
just got 5 more! Seems like they are not coming as fast, so hopefully I put a dent in it. those •••••••• are coming out of there if I have to hold her all night and wait with tweezers in hand. I think that getting so many out has helped - at least to give her a fighting chance until morning - and as was mentioned: I worry about dead worms in there after the medicine is taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.