• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(SAD update post#51) Baby Wild Bird with maggots in nostrils - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:(So so sorry. I really thought she was gonna make it. Thanks for helping her and making her last few hours peaceful.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry, :hug8:you gave her a warm safe place, thats wondefrul. Fly free little girl.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry :sadhug:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:sadhug:

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I dealt with the other losses this week much better, staying unattached - one bird didn't even survive the car trip home, 2 were clearly not likely to make it from the beginning, and one had been doing poorly with another rehabber before coming to me, and despite seeming physically okay had just given up. I did my utmost for each of them of course. But this baby was different: I fought so hard to keep her going, and she was such a tough little girl. It was more of a "trauma" type case in a way, and the ups and downs just had me on a roller coaster. I buried her in a special place near a purple butterfly bush. It's surprising how quickly and deeply you can invest in one of these guys, and get attached, and just WILL them to get better, and then you fail. My feelings didn't get in the way of doing what needed to be done, but it was very draining. This is a hard job and I keep thinking about not doing it, but it's exactly what I *should* be doing. Sometimes they have very little chance, but they have NO chance without someone trying.

Teasha

I dealt with the other losses this week much better, staying unattached - one bird didn't even survive the car trip home, 2 were clearly not likely to make it from the beginning, and one had been doing poorly with another rehabber before coming to me, and despite seeming physically okay had just given up. I did my utmost for each of them of course. But this baby was different: I fought so hard to keep her going, and she was such a tough little girl. It was more of a "trauma" type case in a way, and the ups and downs just had me on a roller coaster. I buried her in a special place near a purple butterfly bush. It's surprising how quickly and deeply you can invest in one of these guys, and get attached, and just WILL them to get better, and then you fail. My feelings didn't get in the way of doing what needed to be done, but it was very draining. This is a hard job and I keep thinking about not doing it, but it's exactly what I *should* be doing. Sometimes they have very little chance, but they have NO chance without someone trying.
Well said. :hug8:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
i am sorry to hear that. you did your best, but a lot of times they do not make it, its never easy. you will not want to do it and try to say no, but once you are presented with another one, you cant help but try your best once more. thats all you can do, is your best. and you did a good job. it will always hurt when they dont make it, but when you look at it, she at least was cared for and loved. many are not lucky enough, you gave one that special chance. :hug8: i know how it feels. ive been there last year when i had 6 baby starlings all die of seizures. i wanted to just never raise any more babies again, it is heart breaking and will bring you down lower than you think you can feel.... but this year came along with a baby sparrow and i couldnt turn him down despite promising myself i would not hurt myself like that again... you cant help it. you did well with her and no one could ask more.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry too hear this :( but thanks too you she got a fighting chance and a respectful passing

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
I'm so sorry that she didn't make it..you have had it rough lately with birds to grandparents and I'm sorry for this. I am so proud of what you've done even though it ended not as hoped.You have done more than some would care to...maggots,sickness,death..for something that wasn't your "problem" to fix.Sure we all would probably say I would do whatever it takes...but would all of us really? You truly done a great thing,even though it turned out sadly...you should feel good about that. I know my words don't take away your feeling of loss,but please believe me when I say that this passing was made peaceful because of you. She was warm,fed,and loved and what better way to feel in the end...

Feather Mom

Real Name
Gretchen
I'm so sorry! :hug8: Thank you for giving her your best and allowing her to go in comfort and peace.

meaggiedear

Real Name
Meagan
:sadhug2:

I'm sorry this is so hard for you, but you are doing right by giving these babies a fighting chance.

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
I am sorry poor Bridget didn't make it. I know you made her as comfortable as possible. I really hope the other things in your life start looking up too. :hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Thanks all for the moral support - I needed it yesterday. I'm reminding myself that it's not about me and my hurt feelings; it's about them. Here's a shot of the other 2 babies (these are house sparrows). They got SO rambunctious yesterday! I'm also feeding a house finch who has neurological/vision problems - Her name is Scout, and she probably weighs less than a paperclip - so cute.
twins.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so very sorry for your loss. Those babies are very cute. Wishing you the best with them.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.