• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rubbing body against my arm or leg and vomiting or regurgitating?

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
My 5 month old cinnamon green cheek is as active as ever, eating and drinking well! A bit grouchy right now due to his molt but doesn't puff up or anything, still grinds beak every night before he sleeps. He seems happy and healthy but as I had him on the floor of my room with me tonight, he started rubbing his head and his back against my thigh and arm and kept doing that then threw up this sticky white odorless goo... I will call his avian vet tomorrow to make an appointment just in case it is vomit.. what do you guys think? Please help. Thank you

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
It sounds to me like hormonal behavior. Only touch him from his neck up or else he may become stimulated in a bad way. It's that or he may just be itchy and stressed from the molt (do they really start molting that young?) and has a stomach bug. The vet check is a good idea just to rule anything out.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
His head is covered in pin feathers.. so I'm assuming it's a molt. No feather plucking, I keep a close eye on him.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Actually he probably is just really itchy. Birds can't get to the pin feathers on their head by themselves so be sure to help him. If he won't let you touch him, giving him frequent baths and some nice barky perches can help him out with those. Not sure about the vomit, vet would be helpful.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Thank you so much! Yes I've been giving him baths every day because whenever I wash my hands he just wants to jump in hahaha I do help him but most of the time he doesn't want to be touched.. I will go out and buy some barky perches tomorrow.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
I see that they have those on amazon! I'll order them. I've been wanting some different textured perches too!

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
The bottlebrush are good because the give different wear on the feet and everything, but they are also a chew toy! They're soft and chewy on the outside layer, then the innermost layer is harder and isn't destroyed as easily. I usually give my birds bottlebrush perches and some smoother wood like dragonwood. The bottlebrush is easier for them to grip onto though.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's good to see a vet just in case. If it's vomit, a vet check is a must. Regurgitating looks more controlled, like something is being forced up. Vomiting looks more uncontrolled and there's often some head shaking back and forth with vomit going everywhere.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
I made an appointment with his avian vet and they said they can see him next Friday on the 27th.. should that be okay?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It just depends on how your bird is doing. If he's vomiting and it continues, I would take him sooner.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
It sounds ok to me
He is very active and happy! Hasn't done it again. I hope that nothing is wrong because I am aware that birds are very good at hiding their sickness until it is too late.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
It just depends on how your bird is doing. If he's vomiting and it continues, I would take him sooner.
Yes. He's active and eating/drinking normally. I hope that it is nothing serious and he just regurgitated out of affection and not vomit. If he does it again I will try to go sooner!

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Yes. He's active and eating/drinking normally. I hope that it is nothing serious and he just regurgitated out of affection and not vomit. If he does it again I will try to go sooner!
I wouldn't worry too much if it was a one time thing, definitely take him to a vet anyway though, it's better safe than sorry.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
5 mo sounds a little young for hormones but could be 6 7 or 8 mo. it depends. Maybe he's older?
They sometimes regurgitate as a way of saying I love you. Someone mentioned the difference in vomiting.
I guess you should watch him very carefully.

A well bird visit is good. They will check fecal to make sure there is no bacteria. Maybe blood test or other tests.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
5 mo sounds a little young for hormones but could be 6 7 or 8 mo. it depends. Maybe he's older?
They sometimes regurgitate as a way of saying I love you. Someone mentioned the difference in vomiting.
I guess you should watch him very carefully.

A well bird visit is good. They will check fecal to make sure there is no bacteria. Maybe blood test or other tests.
Thank you I sure will!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
I wouldn't worry too much if it was a one time thing, definitely take him to a vet anyway though, it's better safe than sorry.
I got the perches but he seems a bit apprehensive about them. I tried to put him on one and he ran off haha