• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad to hear that he is doing better :hug8::hug8::hug8:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, you are doing a great job for him. Keeping my fingers crossed that there's improvement, or at least no further progression.

Teasha

Photos as promised. :D

This foot doesn't look too bad.

This one makes me sad. :(

The bottoms look so dry and sore. :( Is there anything safe that can be put on the feet/

Lil Man!

Cage decked out with Kathies toys! :D

Teasha

Pure Aloe vera. That might help. :( poor baby, it's getting better. :hug8:

I know he has gout but does his toe have a defect? The one looks wrong.
It never used to be that way. I believe it is from the gout. :( thank you for the suggestion, I will see if I can find some...

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Poor Baby Rocket.......................sending healing vibes his way and :hug8: to you!!!!!!!!!!!

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I pet sit for a 23 year old cockatiel that takes alipurinol(SP). She has had gout for years. I am extra gentle with her. She plays, eats, and enjoys life. I give the meds every other day via syringe.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
How is Rocket doing today, Teasha? How is his weight?

Dani

Avenue Veteran
OH MY he is BEAUTIFUL!! :swoon: Dear little thing, I hope he pulls through.....he is a fighter! He looks so cute in his cage, all decked out! WOW!

:hug8: ROCKET & TEASHA :hug8:

Teasha

He has gained a bit. He has slowed down on eating on his own, doesn't seem interested in weaning. But I assume that is normal since he is unwell. Thank you for all the kind words and hugs. :D I really appreciate them!

Teasha

How long does it take the allpurinol to make a big difference???

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Teasha, I don't know about the allpurinol but while I was at the vet I was asking about birds with dry feet. He said three items Aloe, udder balm AND he said he has saved many constricted toes lining the cage with puffs plus. Ask your vet but it might help.

Teasha

Teasha, I don't know about the allpurinol but while I was at the vet I was asking about birds with dry feet. He said three items Aloe, udder balm AND he said he has saved many constricted toes lining the cage with puffs plus. Ask your vet but it might help.
What exactly does he mean by constrictive toes? Like Rockets?!? I will buy it in a heartbeat if it will help any at all!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What exactly does he mean by constrictive toes? Like Rockets?!? I will buy it in a heartbeat if it will help any at all!
Rocket does not have constricted toes, it was an example of how well the those products have worked for him. You said you bought a large aloe plant, try that first. If it does not work these are a few more options.

Teasha

Rocket does not have constricted toes, it was an example of how well the those products have worked for him. You said you bought a large aloe plant, try that first. If it does not work these are a few more options.
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Teasha

Ok I smoshed up the aloe and rubbed the slim on his feet. Is this the correct way to do it? Or should the pulp be smooshed even more, it was in chunks. It made his feet look better, not so dry. :)

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
You can try a massage with organic tamanu oil. Our vet said it was ok to try on a bird here with gout. we didn't see any negative consequences and it appeared to give some mild relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.