• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
our little tiel Maxwell walks on his elbows and cannot perch at al but his feet are very mangled up and there is no way for him to perch. ...your Rocket has come a long way. He might benefit from interaction with another bird but you know that another bird might hate him and Rocket might hate the bird so y ou are taking a big chance there.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
Birds that are suffering from gout in their feet may have difficulties walking or getting onto their perches. To accommodate this situation and save them from further pain, place the perches low to the ground for easy access. Make sure the perches are wide to compensate for the bird's trouble with climbing.

2Keep your bird that has been diagnosed with gout in a climate-controlled room or pen that is not drafty. Cool drafts as well as drastic changes in temperature can make avian gout symptoms more pronounced.

Sponsored Links

3Feed your bird a low-protein diet that helps reduce the amount of uric acid in its body. Fresh produce is part of a healthy diet for birds, as well as special low-protein birdseed. Prescription foods for birds are generally available through your veterinarian's office.

4Offer your bird fresh water throughout the day. Water dilutes uric acid and can help levels return to normal.

5Ask your vet about giving your bird medications to treat gout. Aspirin is an option for pain relief. Other preparations, such as sodium bicarbonate, atophan and lithium carbonate may be used to reduce uric acid and relieve other symptoms. Dosage will var

Read more: How to Treat Avian Gout | eHow.com How to Treat Avian Gout | eHow.com:) hope he be better soon

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
our little tiel Maxwell walks on his elbows and cannot perch at al but his feet are very mangled up and there is no way for him to perch. ...your Rocket has come a long way. He might benefit from interaction with another bird but you know that another bird might hate him and Rocket might hate the bird so y ou are taking a big chance there.
New birds are added to flocks everyday with great success. Yes there are failures. The chances of them hating each other IMO is slim. Rocket has come a long way and been through so much it's not like I'm going to throw them together and leave. ;)

Teasha

Birds that are suffering from gout in their feet may have difficulties walking or getting onto their perches. To accommodate this situation and save them from further pain, place the perches low to the ground for easy access. Make sure the perches are wide to compensate for the bird's trouble with climbing.

2Keep your bird that has been diagnosed with gout in a climate-controlled room or pen that is not drafty. Cool drafts as well as drastic changes in temperature can make avian gout symptoms more pronounced.

Sponsored Links

3Feed your bird a low-protein diet that helps reduce the amount of uric acid in its body. Fresh produce is part of a healthy diet for birds, as well as special low-protein birdseed. Prescription foods for birds are generally available through your veterinarian's office.

4Offer your bird fresh water throughout the day. Water dilutes uric acid and can help levels return to normal.

5Ask your vet about giving your bird medications to treat gout. Aspirin is an option for pain relief. Other preparations, such as sodium bicarbonate, atophan and lithium carbonate may be used to reduce uric acid and relieve other symptoms. Dosage will var

Read more: How to Treat Avian Gout | eHow.com How to Treat Avian Gout | eHow.com:) hope he be better soon

Thanks. I know all this. Rocket may have a form of temporary gout and so I would like to encourage him to try to use his feet. This case is a bit different than most cases. At least that is what we are hoping for!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hope for the best Teasha, he has come this far! Could you lay a small perch on the ground and have him step on it? Can you manipulate his feet to stand on one or is he unable to open his feet? My U2 came to me and could not open his wings, we spent at least an hour a day stretching his wings and now he can fly. Could you spend some time everyday holding him on a perch? ( on the ground of course )

Teasha

Hope for the best Teasha, he has come this far! Could you lay a small perch on the ground and have him step on it? Can you manipulate his feet to stand on one or is he unable to open his feet? My U2 came to me and could not open his wings, we spent at least an hour a day stretching his wings and now he can fly. Could you spend some time everyday holding him on a perch? ( on the ground of course )
I actually started bending his feet around my fingers and he didn't like it lol. I added perches to the floor and a small platform too. Hoping for the best. An hour a day and how many months was that?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't think it is the same but a year an a half. :( Work at it, if he does not like it don't bend so much, it may hurt him but try a little. He is young and if he will overcome this now is the time not later.

Teasha

I don't think it is the same but a year an a half. :( Work at it, if he does not like it don't bend so much, it may hurt him but try a little. He is young and if he will overcome this now is the time not later.
ok thank you :)

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They look great! You are doing such a good job with him!

Teasha

Thank you. :) I am quite proud of myself right now, lol. I have been looking at his feet/legs and dismayed how he walks.

images2.jpg

So he walks with his feet and elbow parallel, causing pressure sores on his elbows. Where the red circle is. So I have been thinking it through and thought if I add something soft to the area where the white circle is he would be forced to walk on his feet some which would help with circulation etc. A friend recommended those wedges for make up. I went out and bought some and tried usuing then so he walked on them at an angle. If that makes sense. Didn't work. Tonight I cut off a piece and wrapped it half way around his elbow and used vet wrap to keep it on. He still hates it but I can see it is supporting his poor elbows and he is putting some weight on his feet! YAY!

Last edited:

Joanna

Moving in
Real Name
Joanna
Hi
and what's new? How is Rocket feeling now? The difference beetwen the first and later photos is enormous. It's amazng. Could you write what yoy did? All in one post. I think that many people can help.

PS
I cannot send you PM, could you contact mi, my email is in my profile.

Joanna

Teasha

Hi
and what's new? How is Rocket feeling now? The difference beetwen the first and later photos is enormous. It's amazng. Could you write what yoy did? All in one post. I think that many people can help.

PS
I cannot send you PM, could you contact mi, my email is in my profile.

Joanna
Yes, how is Rocket?

Rocket is doing much better now! Joanne, is there a reason why you ask. It might be a long post lol. Check out the thread below for a follow up on Rocket. :) He is doing fabulous!

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/85478-rocket-had-his-mini-panel-recheck-yesterday.html

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad he is doing well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.