• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reverse psychology

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes i wonder if they have the ability to hold an egg in.
I suspect the same, but I also don't know for sure.
When I see my girls ready to lay, I will give a little paper so they can shred it make a little nest in a corner of the cage floor to sit on and lay peacefully - except Lapis, she gets a bowl to make a nest in (or she will lay all over the place).

Have you ever considered hormone injections? Im gonna talk to my vet about it.
My Lapis had hormone shots earlier this year, I saw no difference.
We are now four months later, she has done a round of eggs and sat on them, and things have definintely calmed down.

Every bird will be different, so I think it is still worth a discussion and a try :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Darn !! Phoebe laid 3 eggs in 3 days . So I moved her cage into another room , thst freaked her out enough I haven't had any more eggs ...yet ...fingers crossed
Aww, how is she doing? Three eggs so close together is a lot of nutrients gone. You got her on the supplements? Hope she's recovering well.
I don't know about in captivity, but in the wild quakers are prolific breeders. I love going out and looking up to the trees to see them filled with huge nests and loads of babies. They don't nest on my street, but I have seen juveniles coming with their parents to eat the (seeds?) that grow on the palm trees, and their parents feed them between eating.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Aww, how is she doing? Three eggs so close together is a lot of nutrients gone. You got her on the supplements? Hope she's recovering well.
I don't know about in captivity, but in the wild quakers are prolific breeders. I love going out and looking up to the trees to see them filled with huge nests and loads of babies. They don't nest on my street, but I have seen juveniles coming with their parents to eat the (seeds?) that grow on the palm trees, and their parents feed them betwn eating.
I have had her on supplements since she got sick s d my bet told me to Phoebe most definitely needed them !!!!!!! She is doing great !! :) extremely active and eating up all her veggies and food ,poops great and normal .

So far freaking her out by moving her cage is still working..I hope I pray this is the end of eggs season!!!! Penny never laid eggs! DNA female, Pikachu never laid eggs all the years before Phoebe s d !! Phoebe is my first ever female eggs and eggs problems and she dragged Pikachu along !! Pikachu was egg bound last year, then laid one more egg for the season, this year delayed egg ( wouldn't call it egg bound ) and oviduct infection! Then she laid her second egg 2 days after fine .

Definitely wild quakers are known to have large clutches and often double clutch in the wild ... ut my 2 other girls never gave me problems! I never read about quaker girls and egg laying problems?? The few other females I know of aren't laying eggs ...so I'm not sure if it's just a individual/Phoebe thing??? Or because a lot of people don't keep their quakers past two years ?? Because screaming ECT gets them rehomed

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
3 in 3 days. Ive never had that.

Sometimes i wonder if they have the ability to hold an egg in. My girl has went days without laying an egg. No sooner i let her out of her cage, shes laid an egg. Those may have been flukes but i still wonder.
I would try putting her in a different room but i know what will happen. She’ll start squawking and her boyfriend would probably have a heart attack.
Have you ever considered hormone injections? Im gonna talk to my vet about it.
I have thought about it , this is my first bad year , she has laid eggs in years last but nothing like this year ! With the expense and risk , I probably won't. A friend did hormonal implant , and her girl ended up laying an shell less egg internal, slipped the oviduct, so into abdominal cavity, and passed post surgical intervention to save her life ....
tho I have read many threads of success with hormonal intervention

In years past I had success in just moving her cage five feet or putting it in a different order of my cage group . Abd I was doing that this year , but didn't phase her the Least! So I was I like let's go drastic! In re reads of excess egg layers, I came across a vet recommendation of moving the cage weekly during eggs season as well as decrease calories which you have to be so careful! Abd decreases in calories just isn't possible with my flock all out together daily

Last edited:

Rebel

Jogging around the block
With the expense and risk , I probably won't. A friend did hormonal implant , and her girl ended up laying an shell less egg internal, slipped the oviduct, so into abdominal cavity,
Good lord. I didnt know crazy stuff like that could happen. Ill bring that up with the vet.
In years past I had success in just moving her cage five feet or putting it in a different order of my cage group
Ive tried all of that. Moved her cage to a different spot daily. Even put her in a different cage altogether. Rearranged nothing like her previous cage.

I have to do something. I fear for her life.

Should i leave the eggs in her cage or take them out? Im guessing i have nothing to lose by taking them out. Leaving them in sure isnt helping.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should i leave the eggs in her cage or take them out? Im guessing i have nothing to lose by taking them out. Leaving them in sure isnt helping.
I wonder if this is helpful for you;
@Monica is very knowledgable with cockatiels, she has many posts about laying too.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Good lord. I didnt know crazy stuff like that could happen. Ill bring that up with the vet.

Ive tried all of that. Moved her cage to a different spot daily. Even put her in a different cage altogether. Rearranged nothing like her previous cage.

I have to do something. I fear for her life.

Cockatiel seem to be known as some of the most chronic egg layers ,tho Phoebe is sure giving a run for the money!

The success implant or hormone shots stories I have heard have been l cockatiel.

On the internal egg slip , it can happen to any female. I have read to cockatoo stories of egg slip , and heard of others and they were not receiving any hormonal therapy. So I can't say my friend has her girl egg slip because of therapy, I do wonder , but no data .

It's extremely stressful to have a chronic layer!! I feel the same way about Phoebe it was getting life threatening. She was so sick for those ten days , like she didn't move an inch , she didn't even turn around on her perch or tuck her head , she didn't move st all....it was egg related , but I hadn't seen egg bound signs , so I don't know if she had a egg slip , a broken or cracked egg internal...I know she had a massive infection and low calcium....so thankful she has recovered!!!!!!!!

I know you and I both are trying everything!

I do know that stress a big stress will usually throw them out of eggs . I definitely had better luck in years past by pulling eggs. I left the eggs this year because I thought she would d a complete cycle and not lay fir an extended time that way ..but it only ked to her staying and brooding eggs fur 3 months! She would kick out eggs after a set time and re lay the same day ..ughhhh

So now I seperated her from her bonded girlfriend for night time only , moved her cage to a different room. Pulling eggs. And trying to get her to do lots of flying exercise. Flight recall in home , moving her to a far from me perch so she will fly back, hanging treat way up high so she will climb ....
I've got my fingers crossed!!!! So far the longest between any new eggs yet !! I'm praying hard thst we are done!!!

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Cockatiel seem to be known as some of the most chronic egg layers ,tho Phoebe is sure giving a run for the money!

The success implant or hormone shots stories I have heard have been l cockatiel.

On the internal egg slip , it can happen to any female. I have read to cockatoo stories of egg slip , and heard of others and they were not receiving any hormonal therapy. So I can't say my friend has her girl egg slip because of therapy, I do wonder , but no data .

It's extremely stressful to have a chronic layer!! I feel the same way about Phoebe it was getting life threatening. She was so sick for those ten days , like she didn't move an inch , she didn't even turn around on her perch or tuck her head , she didn't move st all....it was egg related , but I hadn't seen egg bound signs , so I don't know if she had a egg slip , a broken or cracked egg internal...I know she had a massive infection and low calcium....so thankful she has recovered!!!!!!!!

I know you and I both are trying everything!

I do know that stress a big stress will usually throw them out of eggs . I definitely had better luck in years past by pulling eggs. I left the eggs this year because I thought she would d a complete cycle and not lay fir an extended time that way ..but it only ked to her staying and brooding eggs fur 3 months! She would kick out eggs after a set time and re lay the same day ..ughhhh

So now I seperated her from her bonded girlfriend for night time only , moved her cage to a different room. Pulling eggs. And trying to get her to do lots of flying exercise. Flight recall in home , moving her to a far from me perch so she will fly back, hanging treat way up high so she will climb ....
I've got my fingers crossed!!!! So far the longest between any new eggs yet !! I'm praying hard thst we are done!!!
Still egg free? Im taking my girl to the vet tomorrow for possible injections. She laid another egg today. Otherwise shes acting perfectly normal.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Good luck , keep us updated!
Yes still egg free! I feel like her mind is finally off eggs! They finally stopped spring scream which lordy lasted into summer , too! Kept them busy all day .

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Good luck , keep us updated!
Yes still egg free! I feel like her mind is finally off eggs! They finally stopped spring scream which lordy lasted into summer , too! Kept them busy all day .
I will update.
Im glad youre still egg free. Thats has to be a load off your mind.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I will update.
Im glad youre still egg free. Thats has to be a load off your mind.
Omg yes!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get that soon yourself!

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Omg yes!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get that soon yourself!
The vet seems to think the Lupron injections wont work on her just by how ineffective everything ive tried has been. She says if anything it would take multiple injections. As for today no injections were given. I thought vets kept that stuff on hand but apparently not. Shes going to get a price on it and let me know.
She didnt really have any new techniques for me to try as ive tried them all. She says this bird is the most stubborn case shes had.
Implants. She says she doesn’t recommend an implant because shes so small? (actually average size for a cockatiel) 100 grams. It doesnt matter anyhow. I dont want the implant.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Unfortunately the shots are expensive, I can't remember the quote I got but feel it was around 150 per shot ...
Maybe just seeing the vet will be enough stress to make her stop for a bit , fingers crossed

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Unfortunately the shots are expensive, I can't remember the quote I got but feel it was around 150 per shot ...
Maybe just seeing the vet will be enough stress to make her stop for a bit , fingers crossed
If memory serves me correctly , which it usually doesnt, the vet i took her to about a year ago said it was about $60 per shot. I guess the vet visit ontop of that would be about 150.
Vet visits have no effect on this girl. This is her third visit this year and she hasnt skipped beat. Shes very easy going. The vet is amazed that she doesn’t have to grab her with a rag to do an exam.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I pulled this quote from another thread,
It might not be appropriate to discuss here but i would like to know more about this. As you may or may not know, my girl has a severe case of chronic egg laying.
When something happens to my birds, firstly I head to the vet, once they're in good hands I write up a thread on AA, to share for anyone else searching similar symptoms and also so I can remember dates, meds, recovery times etc.
Here are the two occasions she got depleted, you can see her flight was affected both times,
In the second thread, towards the end where I apologised for the late response it was because I was hospitalised for a night so it was difficult to care for us both and update.

She now gets pellet diet, veggies, a little seed as out of cage treats, and the supplement. So far so good. I also haven't had many eggs off her since; I can' t remember her last egg actually, it must be over a year at least...

Rebel

Jogging around the block
I pulled this quote from another thread,

When something happens to my birds, firstly I head to the vet, once they're in good hands I write up a thread on AA, to share for anyone else searching similar symptoms and also so I can remember dates, meds, recovery times etc.
Here are the two occasions she got depleted, you can see her flight was affected both times,
In the second thread, towards the end where I apologised for the late response it was because I was hospitalised for a night so it was difficult to care for us both and update.

She now gets pellet diet, veggies, a little seed as out of cage treats, and the supplement. So far so good. I also haven't had many eggs off her since; I can' t remember her last egg actually, it must be over a year at least...
Thank you for putting these links together etc. That was quite a roller coaster ride. Roller coasters make me sick so i dont want to go on one of those. Lol
In the other thread you had said “Except Adelie is on a no seed diet because she gets depleted when laying”. What did/does seed have to do with her depletion? My girl eats her vegetables, is on liquid calcium + vit D supplement , eats mineral blocks like theyre going out of style but mainly eats seed as opposed to pellets. You can lead a bird to pellets but you cant make them eat them. Im almost afraid to make any changes in diet as shes successfully laid about 50 eggs this year with no issues. KNOCK ON WOOD. Shes been to the vet three times this year for wellness checks and the vet says shes perfectly healthy and if she didnt know her history with egg laying, she never would have guessed it. The vet did say for the long run i should get her on pellets as for now shes relatively young. 4 years old. I will do whats best but its always helpful to know whats best.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
“Except Adelie is on a no seed diet because she gets depleted when laying”. What did/does seed have to do with her depletion?
So when she was younger, she ate a lot more seed. She only had pellets twice a week. Rest of the time was seed. Veggies every day. I let them pig on veggies as much as they want.
It just wasn't enough, she laid an egg and ran out of nutrients.
After the first depletion, I would give her pellets 4 days a week and eggfood as a boost around eggs - worked ok at first. Except, as you can read, due to family stuff, I forgot, or it slipped my mind to give the breeder food.
Since then we decided, pellets daily and a supplement around laying. She gets some seed as treats.

Feeding only pellets won't be a good diet for your hen as she is a cockatiel. So the species play their part in deciding on which diet route to take.
You could try adding something like nutriberries for treats (as long as she eats the pellet part), so she could have a little pellet in her diet alongside her veggies and seed in her bowls.

You can lead a bird to pellets but you cant make them eat them.
My birds do eat pellets, none have ever been forced. They will happily eat either or. My eldest hen prefers seed, she used to eat pellets a lot, but now she is older she has got more picky, and since jamie died and she no longer lays eggs, I decided she can have seed and lots of veggies with a supplement.

eats mineral blocks
The blocks don't offer much. Doesn't hurt though. The key is giving your supplement. I have had no issues since we started with supplements here (touching wood!). Plus, eating veggies will also play a big part in their nutrition, it is lucky our girls eat them!

shes successfully laid about 50 eggs this year
That is definitely a chronic layer. Normally at this time mid year you would have had one or two clutches, so sort of a max of 14 eggs.
I really hope you can get a handle on that, it is just so frustrating to be constantly worrying over eggs :(

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Now i understand. The seed had no part in the depletion other than the lack of nutrients they provide.

I decided she can have seed and lots of veggies with a supplement.
Which supplement do you use? Liquid in their water, on/in their food? Powder?

That is definitely a chronic layer.
When i say about 50. I mean give or take an egg or two. I have them all written down.
Seeing my reverse psychology failed miserably, ive decided to take all of the eggs out of her cage. I was letting about 6 in there , normal clutch size approximately. Ill take out any future eggs as soon as she lays them.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Go ahead and move and rearrange her cage as well , and see if you can encourage out of cage time .
Good luck !! :buzzbee:

Rebel

Jogging around the block
I put her cage in a different spot in the bird room every day. Ive been getting her out every evening. For a while there a wasnt letting her out every day. Not too long ago i put her in an entirely different cage. Ill rearrange her cage later today. Thanks for your support. She hasnt laid an egg since Tuesday but shes random like that so who knows.