• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We´re home from the vet - Adélie can´t fly

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´ve taken Adé to the vet today. She seems fine, and ¨normal¨ but she isn´t able to fly. With her having a bad foot, it means she can´t get around her cage well at all (I moved her into a flight cage last Christmas). On saturday I had seen her getting around the cage fine, fluttering from perch to perch ok and getting on and off the platform swing she loves (She laid an egg from there), but yesterday she was trying to get up there and was struggling, so I put a small teatowel in the lower corner for her and a small water bowl and food, and hoped she would bounce back, but this morning I got her out, and she´s the same, no ability to fly.

Vet has given her an anti-inflamatory and liquid calcium + vitamins - he thinks she just needs a boost after the egg, even though she is a good eater and loves her veggies.
He gave me meds to give her later today and every morning night for a few days.
Weight is down to 44g, a few g lower than usual.
He has said if she is worse, or weighs less tomorrow evening, to bring her back.
Also, he checked her wings for cuts, damage, bruises and said they looked fine.

She´s back in her cage now. Sydney is taking good care of her, feeding her and keeping her warm.

Don´t pity her, she is a tough cookie, and I´m sure she´ll be fine. She just needs a little helping hand from her vet is all :rockby:

Here she is on the way home,
IMG_20210104_154826.jpg IMG_20210104_155621.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's better soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, she’s so cute! I hope she feels better soon.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does anyone know anyone who has had this happen before?
I don´t know what to expect RE her flight. It´s bothering me, though I´m trying to be as positive as possible.
I´m just hoping and wishing it comes back soon.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Hope she feels better soon!!:hug8:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crossing everything for her! She's such a determined little bird.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Egg laying can really strip a bird of calcium, which can cause muscle weakness, muscle pain, etc.. I'd suggest anyone breeding birds, or having a female that lays eggs, keep liquid calcium on hand. Often they need a bit more than veggies can provide. Hopefully the liquid calcium will help & she'll be able to fly again soon.

A good article explaining egg laying & low calcium in parrots: Egg Laying, Egg Binding, and Low Calcium

I've had a Purple Martin colony every year, since 1997. I save, bake & feed them crushed eggshells. Most Purple Martin landlords do this for a couple reasons....to help the female develop good eggs & avoid egg binding...to support the female after egg laying. Parents will feed the crushed shells to chicks usually starting around week 3, so it supports good bone growth, etc.. I place a cup or two in a upside down Frizbee attached to the top of my clothesline post. They land, eat some, take some to their chicks. A few times I've found very tiny fresh water clam shells in nests. The point being...egg laying is hard on the females & can strip them of much needed calcium levels. By offering eggshells to these wild birds, that have trouble finding calcium in nature anymore, it helps prevent any issues.

Also if a bird is low in Vitamin D they can't absorb calcium. Sunlight is best, but if you can't get them natural sunlight then UV light is the 2nd option. Pellets with vitamin D is also very beneficial.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww, baby girl!! I hope those flappers get back to being fully functional soon!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I hope she feels better soon! Sending hugs for her to feel better :bighug:

BirdWorld

How about feeding boiled smashed egg? I've heard it's a great source of calcium and my birds love it. Leafy greens also have calcium.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Feel better baby bird...so stressful when they don't feel well.

:sadhug2:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Feel better soon Adelie!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
or having a female that lays eggs, keep liquid calcium on hand
I think I definitely will from now on.
She only laid one egg and she got like this. I can´t remember her prev. eggs, but they were a while back.

Sunlight is best
The cage is next to the patio doors, I open the door and push it in the sunlight in the early afternoon.

Leafy greens also have calcium.
She loves her veggies. I also give a pinch of sesame seeds on top of the veggies every few days or so.
Yesterday I put the veggie bowl in her cage next to her and she didn´t even get up to check it out, so I knew something was wrong. Sydney ate some and he fed her, but still.

I think if she´s not getting better at flying nearer the end of the week, I´ll take her back for a check up. She can´t even do short flights, she´s falling like a sack of potatoes, she can´t get up off the ground well.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I hope Adélie finds her wings again soon. With your stories about her earlier life I think we all share a vested interest in her and share your concern.
:grouphug2:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Hope she feels better soon!