• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescues or adoptable birds in TX/LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crudeghosts

Moving in
I'm struggling with finding rescues in my area. I would be willing to travel but most rescues won't allow you to adopt out of state (which I understand.)

I am in Houston.

I am also willing to adopt directly from an owner, but I would need to contact them and have a discussion to get more information on the bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I've found two places in TX, though not necessarily in Houston.

Gulf Coast Exotic Bird Sanctuary
Bird Haven

Also there is the Spring Branch Animal & Bird Sanctuary which is located in Houston but that I am unsure about. Many of their birds are hosted by the store Adventures in Birds which I actually just visited for the first time today. While I was not looking to buy or adopt myself, I was very disappointed in the conditions all of their birds were being kept in. Tiny, dirty cages crammed into a dark and dusty room; if one had a single toy or more than one perch they were lucky. The store itself is a breeding facility whose food bins were infested with moths, and stank from all of the cats running around. I thought that most of the rescue birds were overpriced (for example a completely plucked, 10+ year old grey for $850) considering the owners seemed to put little effort into their care and rehabilitation. Which was sad because some of the birds did seem very sweet. Maybe if you contacted the actual rescue coordinators directly you could get some more detailed info on their birds/care. It is possible my experience was an anomaly and these guys are actually doing good work, but I'd want to know before potentially giving money back to a business that is currently breeding birds for profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.