• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued baby

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I love the disproportion of babies :roflmao: Those feet look so big for her!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwsome.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trot trot the baby goes
Trot Trot to town
The baby is trotting all over my house and I'm also running along for baby proofing. She's flapping her wings. I think soon she'll learn to fly. She's trying all sorts of adult foods, so I've introduced pellets two days back. She is perching on a low perch and showing few antics also.
Now, my queries are:
1. When and how will I start harness training?
2. How can I ask her to step up?
3. When to start recall and target training?

It's so satisfying to see the little naked ball of a chick growing into a feathery Goofball.
@Clueless, do you know, alexandrine parrots also have a nice smell. I just experienced it.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have no advice, but I would love an updated picture! This has been such a neat situation follow along with

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have no advice, but I would love an updated picture! This has been such a neat situation follow along with
I would too and love to know backstory you still haven’t shared haha unless I’ve missed it o_O

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1. When and how will I start harness training?
Now :)
Have the harness in her view, bring it closer over time to her so she gets used to seeing it and being near it. It is a slow process. When you have it very close, you can let her beak at it and play with it so she won't be fearful of it, before ever trying to put it on. When you put it on for the first time, just do one step and then take it off, for eg, over the head, then off. Again, a slow process.

2. How can I ask her to step up?
3. When to start recall and target training?
You can start now, but rememebr she is a baby. So she might take a while to get it. Keep training to a minimum so it's not over bearing. I would incorporate a recall to my birds when they came for food. They would come if I said nothing, so I knew they would come, so when I set them down on the table, before they move I call them and they always came, and I fed them right away. So the only difference from before "training" was literally the recall cue I said as I put the youngsters down on the table for feeds.