• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued baby

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Incidentally I've rescued a baby alexandrine or IRN ( I'm not sure) today. The baby is approximately 4 weeks old, I guess. I have very little idea about baby feeding. Previously I've fed only sick budgies with syringes.So I've read the threads here and started feeding him. Presently I'm giving him feed every four hourly. He takes feed from a spoon actively and stops when his crop is full. I've ordered a scale and I'll let you know about the weight. Now I need advice.
@Zara @Parutti

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh and congrats on your new little one,can't wait to see pics.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He takes feed from a spoon actively and stops when his crop is full. I've ordered a scale
That's great :)

Just out of curiosity, is this a wild bird? You may want to look into a rehabber.

In the meantime, keep the chick warm. Warmth is important for chicks and the temperature should be kept as constant as possible to avoid problems in the crop.
Be sure the food you feed is 105F. No lumps, just like you would prep for your budgies.

I have no idea when these birds wean on average, so when the scale comes weigh him first thing in the morning on an empty crop, then feed 10% during every feed that day. You can give a little extra, but be careful not to overfill the crop.
Everytime the crop is almost empty, feed him again. Keep note of all the times and use this as a guide daily to know more or less when to check him and feed him.
Every day he will weigh a little more, so the food you feed will go up a small amount.

When it comes to weaning, you cn start offering adult foods (Steamed veggies, soaked pellets to start) once he is full of pins and some feathers opened ( this will still be some weeks away).
From there, he will eat less formule as he eats more adult foods on his own. When giving adults foods, water should be present to drink.

Here is a good article, have a read and save it for when you need it;

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you @Zara. Actually the rescue story is a long one,maybe some other day. Definitely I'll try to rehab when it's time. Right now my concern is keeping him healthy. It's 30 degree C maximum and 17 degree C minimum nowadays. I kept him inside a box filled with nesting materials and shredded papers. Is it OK?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you have a little electronic hygrometer? Best to sit one in the box. Put a heated mat under to keep the temperature steady.

I have little battery powered ones, they're quite inexpensive,
IMG_20240329_124507.jpg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today I weighed the baby, he's 133gm. Now I have few questions,
A) how often do I need to take weight?
B) right now I'm just feeding him and putting him back to his box. Anything to give him for entertainment, like a plush toy?
C) how often do I need to change the nesting material? I'm changing the soiled papers twice a day.
@Zara

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Would love to hear his story and see pictures please sounds like your doing well

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A) how often do I need to take weight?
Every morning before food goes into the crop. Weighing on an empty crop gives the most accuracy.

B) right now I'm just feeding him and putting him back to his box. Anything to give him for entertainment, like a plush toy?
He doesn't need entertainment per se, but it is rare for parrot chicks to be alone so making a "clutchling" is a good idea. You can use a rolled up cotton sock, or a small plush toy with no loose threads or fluff or other loose parts. (I used a blue whale a few times and cut the label off it).

C) how often do I need to change the nesting material? I'm changing the soiled papers twice a day.
Depends on how dirty it is getting. I am not familiar with how big your chick is or how quickly they grow so I can't give an accurate answer. But you want to be at least completely chaging the bedding twice a week, and spot cleaning between. If you think your nest is getting pooped up quick, you can add another nest clean.
Not sure if @BrianB breeds these birds, but he might have a better idea given all his experience.

he's 133gm
so you are looking at trying to feed 13.3CC more or less per feed. Round it to 13.5 or 14 if it makes it easier.

What does your bird look like currently? How are the feathers looking?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Be sure you are keeping him warm, and the temperature is steady. Given his current state of plumage, he's not quite able to fully moderate his own temperature, and fluctuations can cause issues like slow crop.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
He’s so gorgeous :heart:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since last 4 days I'm checking baby's weight. It has become 164gm today from 133gm. But the amount of feed is not increasing. Is it ok @Zara?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another question, I've bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar. Shall I add a drop of it in baby's feed?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Since last 4 days I'm checking baby's weight. It has become 164gm today from 133gm. But the amount of feed is not increasing. Is it ok @Zara?
It should be increasing. You are feeding forrmula, so he will gain weight :)

Another question, I've bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar. Shall I add a drop of it in baby's feed?
Not something I have ever had to do. If you experience crop issues or notice it slowing you can add a drop, but if there's nothing wrong, I would just keep the formula as it is. Remember any ACV should be "with mother".

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It should be increasing. You are feeding forrmula, so he will gain weight :)

Not something I have ever had to do. If you experience crop issues or notice it slowing you can add a drop, but if there's nothing wrong, I would just keep the formula as it is. Remember any ACV should be "with mother".
Yes that's what written on it. I didn't understand the meaning.