• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue Greenwing

Megamacawlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
I highly suggest looking at Lara Joseph's blogs. She also had a bird that preferred her husband over her and he would attack her if her husband was around. Rocky is an M2 and before Lara got him, he was going to be euthanized. This week? He got to be filmed in a commercial! (should probably see if these are on her new blog...)
Thank you so much for this recommendation! I hadn't read her before but she is awesome!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lara Joseph walked into a pet store to buy a pooper scooper for her dog and walked out with a "white cockatiel"... a very expensive one at that! An umbrella cockatoo! And now? She's an animal behaviorists/trainer! She's amazing!

It's possible that B became over-stimulated with all the attention you were giving him and simply acted out, or, as you said, he simply had enough. It was too much too fast for him, but he still enjoys it. It's fine to limit physical interaction between him and you until you two have a better bond, and always keep things short and sweet. He's a smart boy, just needs a way to stimulate his brain and it sounds like the training is going well! Keep it up!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I agree that he may have been over stimulated - they can go from seeming contentment to warning nips in a heartbeat. Is it possible he thought you were pulling a fast one on him and sneaking in a pet he thought was from your husband? My sons likes to try this with Fia, and when she realizes what he's doing she gives him a warning bite. I would tell you to always end things BEFORE he ends them. Stop before you think you need to, when you're still in the midst of a great moment. Leave him wanting more, rather than him tell you he's had enough. Also, I strongly caution you to not try to pick him up from your husband or right after he's been enjoying your husband's attention. If he's bonding more strongly to your husband and you appear (to him) to cut in on the action he may (probably!!) try to get you. I see this with Fia, and it really doesn't even matter who's been holding her - she lunges at the "intruder." It's always best to have an intermediary stopping point - the back of a chair, a perch, something, before the next person picks her up. (Or, I have a big distraction in my other hand - something she's not familiar with or doesn't like.)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So much great advice on this thread. Yes, agree with Beth, stop interacting with him way before he even thinks of biting, etc. That's how I was eventually able to give my Panama Amazon (who hated women) head skritches. Avoid bites at all costs! The more he bites, the more he is learning to. Wow - can't believe you were given such awful advice re toweling him to get him out of the cage. I was given the same advice with my Pionus which I knew was very wrong and started me looking into behaviour. I too would move him around on a hand held perch if you have to move him. You'll most likely achieve more re training if your husband is out of the room since he is bonded to him. In your avatar, it looks like he is under a table? Try not to allow him in small, nesty places if hormones might be a problem. So great you have taken in the is bird! :)

Megamacawlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
That's such a great point about making sure I'm ending the interactions instead of letting him end the interactions! Its definitely the other way around in my house. We also aren't always great about an intermediate step. It's been better since the t-stick but I'll make sure we remember it and add time.

It is him under the table, and on my husband's knee no less! I don't allow any nest stuff in his cage, and he hates blankets, but hadn't even considered how much he loves to do this!! Thank you for pointing it out!!! Its definitely nest like and close to my husband to boot! I'll make sure we stop that to see if it helps.