• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reasons I Should Get Another Bird and Reasons I Should Not

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Reasons I Should Get Another Bird
1. My aunt asked me if I would take a budgie. Her neighbors have a hand tame budgie and the owner is going through Alzheimer's and can no longer take care of the bird. He lives with his daughter, but she is worried her father will forget about the bird and it will get injured or accidentally let outside.
2. The budgie is HAND TAME. All of my rescues are so skittish of hands. I really miss having a hand tame bird.

Reasons I Should Not
1. We have to find space for another cage.
2. I'm working an internship out of state and will be home only 50% of the time. My partner is taking care of our zoo. When I am gone I will not be able to bond with this new addition to the family, but my partner can.
3. Cleaning 3 cages will feel like a burden.
4. We would then have 3 budgies, which is an uneven number.
5. We should prepare for a potential upcoming vet bill for Erwin if he needs a foot surgery the avian vet discussed with us.
6. Where are we going to quarantine a new bird? The bedroom, but that really isn't ideal.

All the signs point to NO, but I am just aching for a hand tame bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you want help talking yourself out of it, or help showing you that it can be done? :)

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Do you want help talking yourself out of it, or help showing you that it can be done? :)
HAHAHA! BOTH!

But really - I don't think I should. It's such a bad time. However, I would love for this little sweetie to get a good home. Do you think I can try to help by putting a post up on Avian Avenue?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would probably take him......... If your partner is okay with it.......... Honestly cleaning one more cage isn't that big of a deal. At one point in time, I was cleaning 6 and that was definitely too many.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I work with Alzheimer’s and his daughters worries are definitely understandable unfortunately also as it advances so does there moods
I’ve just had a resident at work who had to rehome his birds conure and linnies I had to say no as I know 6 birds would just be too much I did offer to take the gcc but his wishes were they weren’t separated and went to an home together the three of them

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
If we kept this female budgie in the same room as the budgie boys, but in a separate cage, do you think it will be an issue? It's an uneven number of budgies.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Best case she stays with you worse case your just a middle angel to finding right place which isn’t worse case

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley showed up at a TERRIBLE time for me

- My Quaker was attacking me and making me hate birds
- I had a 4 year old; was already exhausted and overworked and had no time to myself, not to mention to clean my house
- My husband was out of town, so I had to go see him at a strangers house with my toddler by myself in another city
- I was already dealing with issues with my rats too, and had a vet appointment scheduled at the same time, so cash was tight

The right bird doesn't always wait for us to be ready :)

How does your partner feel?

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
- I was already dealing with issues with my rats too, and had a vet appointment scheduled at the same time, so cash was tight

The right bird doesn't always wait for us to be ready :)
Yeah. Piggie Momo has a lump on one of her legs. We need to decide if we aspirate or just remove the lump. The vet estimate gave a high and low for each procedure. The high estimate of the aspiration was the same as the low estimate of the surgery.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's not great at expressing feelings and is very logically minded. I will really have to pressure him to get a real answer.
My husband is similar. It was like a week for him to mull over bringing Bosco home. He honestly said no to Ripley and I said, "Well sorry you aren't here and you can't stop me!" And went and got him anyways. :scared5: But I've never done that before... I had a strong feeling about Ripley I couldn't shake :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah. Piggie Momo has a lump on one of her legs. We need to decide if we aspirate or just remove the lump. The vet estimate gave a high and low for each procedure. The high estimate of the aspiration was the same as the low estimate of the surgery.
Will the cost make it too difficult to take on another bird?

If we kept this female budgie in the same room as the budgie boys, but in a separate cage, do you think it will be an issue? It's an uneven number of budgies.
I have zero idea on how budgie dynamics work!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Please don't misunderstand. We love our parrots. But sometimes I get jealous when I see adorable pictures of people's cockatiels stepping up, or sitting on shoulders, or cuddling with humans, or accepting head skritches. It's a fine line of respecting my rescues and their boundaries and pushing them bits at a time to be more comfortable with hands.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Will the cost make it too difficult to take on another bird?
Not necessarily. I pay for the bulk of things because I am the ones that want the pets. It makes me feel guilty when I ask my partner for money because they were ultimately my decision that he went along with. It's just been a difficult year for me financially but not for him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get it! :) My birds aren't cuddly and are perfectly content without me messing with them at all basically :lol:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I get it! :) My birds aren't cuddly and are perfectly content without me messing with them at all basically :lol:
Yeah, thanks for understanding. Sometimes I just wanna cuddle that Erwin so bad but he would not take it well. Our birds love us in their own ways. They WANT us to "visit." By visit I mean sit next to the cage and talk and sing with them. But hands are a no-go. Sometimes we call them our stripper birds, we can look but we can't touch.

But Erwin IS getting better. When he adopted him he would cower in the corner of his cage and pretend we did not exist. And now he wants us sitting next to him. He has special songs for us and a special way of greeting us when we come home. And he is getting better with hands but it is a slow process and taking a long time.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I think if the budgie has been an only bird for a couple months where he is now that any quarantine could be greatly shortened.