• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about Harrison’s Mash for IRN

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
My birdie is a little poorly at the moment and she’s on 2 antibiotics which I have to give her morning and night for 7 days.

Since starting the antibiotics she doesn’t seem to want to eat her pellets, she’ll eat everything else I give her like fruits/vegetables and Harrison’s mash. I also realised that her pellets could be out of date now (this might be the reason why she’s unwell… idk maybe i’m overthinking :shy:) but anyways I bought the Harrison’s pellets again today and it’ll come in a few days.

In the meantime, can I give her the mash as her main meal? It’s not the high potency one just the normal Harrison’s mash. And if so how much do I give her daily? I know there’s a table showing how much to give certain birds at the back of the packet, but which one do Indian Ringnecks fit in? it’s a bit confusing to me lol I’m a little rusty when it comes to types of birds

At the back it says “Conures and Lories: 3 - 5 tsp (5 - 9g)” however when I measured one teaspoon of the mash it showed 6g?? It’s just so confusing someone please enlighten me :banghead:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
On the Harrison's website it suggests these amounts as the feeding guidelines per day:

CANARY/FINCH: 1 - 1.75g
BUDGIE/PARROTLET: 1.5 - 3g
COCKATIEL/LOVEBIRD: 2 - 5g
QUAKER: 3 - 7g
CONURE/LORY: 5 - 15g
DOVE/PIGEON: 5 - 15g

The mash does have slightly different ingredients than the pellets, so that might be part of it. Especially since it's for a small amount of time while you are waiting for the normal food, and also because she needs to eat while feeling poorly, I wouldn't fret too much about it not specifically stating your species on the bag, especially since there seems to be such a range.

You could also soak her normal pellets a bit before giving them, but as with the mash, will need to remove it after a few hours to prevent bacteria growth.

They definitely can go off though; they do not contain preservatives and while an unopened bag is fine for a bit after the expiration date, if it's opened for longer than a couple of months, the oils could go rancid.

Last edited:

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Oh the Harrison's website it suggests these amounts as the feeding guidelines per day:

CANARY/FINCH: 1 - 1.75g
BUDGIE/PARROTLET: 1.5 - 3g
COCKATIEL/LOVEBIRD: 2 - 5g
QUAKER: 3 - 7g
CONURE/LORY: 5 - 15g
DOVE/PIGEON: 5 - 15g

The mash does have slightly different ingredients than the pellets, so that might be part of it. Especially since it's for a small amount of time while you are waiting for the normal food, and also because she needs to eat while feeling poorly, I wouldn't fret too much about it not specifically stating your species on the bag, especially since there seems to be such a range.

You could also soak her normal pellets a bit before giving them, but as with the mash, will need to remove it after a few hours to prevent bacteria growth.

They definitely can go off though; they do not contain preservatives and while an unopened bag is fine for a bit after the expiration date, if it's opened for longer than a couple of months, the oils could go rancid.
So is feeding her the mash as her main food instead of the pellets for a few days (possibly 5 days) okay? Is it healthy for her?
And how much should I give her? I’m still unsure about how much indian ringnecks can have or does it not matter?

Yes! I used to soak her pellets and make it into a “porridge” for her when she wouldn’t eat them but at the moment I’d prefer not to give her the old pellets in case it was the cause of her illness..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So is feeding her the mash as her main food instead of the pellets for a few days (possibly 5 days) okay? Is it healthy for her?
And how much should I give her? I’m still unsure about how much indian ringnecks can have or does it not matter?

Yes! I used to soak her pellets and make it into a “porridge” for her when she wouldn’t eat them but at the moment I’d prefer not to give her the old pellets in case it was the cause of her illness..
Yes, it is safe and fine to feed for that length of time. Anywhere between 5g and 15g I imagine would be perfectly fine.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Maybe start with the smaller amount (5 g)and see if she wants more, and increase as needed. You just want to make sure she's eating and, for about 5 days, spoil her with love/mash and that will help anything! :heart:

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Maybe start with the smaller amount (5 g)and see if she wants more, and increase as needed. You just want to make sure she's eating and, for about 5 days, spoil her with love/mash and that will help anything! :heart:
Thank you!! :heart2: