• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question?????

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@Birdie Mama (I keep forgetting to quote the message I'm replying to!)

The main reason is bcuz it would be extremely difficult to give him out of cage opportunity in the living area. We have two dogs. I've seriously considered this option (and still am) as Oscar is cage bound and at the most he just comes out and hangs out on perches I've put on the outside of his cage and we could lock the dogs up for that.

Another drawback is that I'm a serious amnesiac. I am often out in my she-shed til 1, 2, or 3 a.m.. Then, quite often, when I come in I like to do my housework and baking! I guess I could give up the housework (lol).

That may be what I end up doing. A gentleman is coming out one evening this week to give us a quote on putting in an extra wide door, or double doors. It will depend on the cost when we would be able to do it.

Our house, though manufactured, is over 1500 sq feet, so an extra wide door into a bedroom wouldn't look too big for the space.

Or, I could do the logical thing and sell the cage and buy one that fits!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Never confuse the issue with facts... :roflmao:You also consider finding someone who has a cage that works for you and needs a bigger cage for their feathered friend.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ah! That makes sense. Did not realize it was that big and forgot about the dogs. A double door or wider would look good as you have so much room. I was picturing that in my suite which would definitely look odd. :laugh:

also would not get rid of the cage, they are so hard to come by in that size that works for the spacing. would love to have one that big but that’s a dream unless we go live in the shed! :rofl:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I loaned a guy nerds old 19x19 cage when he rescued a hurt wild pigeon next door. Told him when he was done to put it in the driveway.
Turned out they were letting him use their driveway and he was living in his car.
He and my cage with the pigeon still getting better drove off one day never to be seen again.
I could have used it when we got Pippen. I THINK I still have Beepers old finch cage in the loft of the shed somewhere too.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Ah! That makes sense. Did not realize it was that big and forgot about the dogs. A double door or wider would look good as you have so much room. I was picturing that in my suite which would definitely look odd. :laugh:

also would not get rid of the cage, they are so hard to come by in that size that works for the spacing. would love to have one that big but that’s a dream unless we go live in the shed! :rofl:
If it didn't get so cold here, I'd live in the shed! With Oscar! Or turn it into Oscar's aviary! It's 10x20. Plenty big for one Quaker!
To be honest, you hit the nail on the head about the cage. It's just about the perfect cage and I seriously don't want to give it up!

Never confuse the issue with facts... :roflmao:You also consider finding someone who has a cage that works for you and needs a bigger cage for their feathered friend.
I have a neighbor who was just given a cockatoo. She already had 3 cockatiels and a budgie. She's hoping I can get TD and AthenaDon into Oscar's current cage together bcuz I told her she could have AthenaDon's current cage for her budgie. The budgie had to go in with the tiels... It's a long story... and they push him around a bit.
I'm going to Charleston tomorrow or Wednesday to look at another A&E cage that's slightly smaller and only a hundred bucks!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Great News! The contractor finally came out to look at what we wanted done (with regards to the new door opening being put into our wall). At this point we were going to hold off on buying the actual doors to put in as doors are quite expensive. Anyway, he didn't get back to me and days went by. Then I was talking to our neighbor, Tony, and he said, "Have you asked Joe Stewart?"

Now, I've met Joe Stewart and he's a real nice guy. I just didn't know he was a contractor! So he came out and said he could do it for under $300 and that includes two doors we can have for $50 (see photo)...And he's going to do it next week! I can hardly wait! Oh, then, today, I finally got the quote from the original contractor. His wanted $600 just to cut and frame the door (we'd have to buy the trim, etc.). Screenshot_20240329_012317_Messenger~2.jpg

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@Birdie Mama I just noticed that in the message above I said (or auto correct said... I forget which, lol) that I was an amnesiac... Of course, that was supposed to say insomniac!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’ll go with the amnesiac and forget all about the housework! Definitely would work for me. :laughing7::loltears:

looking forward to the completed job!! :bliss:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Great News! The contractor finally came out to look at what we wanted done (with regards to the new door opening being put into our wall). At this point we were going to hold off on buying the actual doors to put in as doors are quite expensive. Anyway, he didn't get back to me and days went by. Then I was talking to our neighbor, Tony, and he said, "Have you asked Joe Stewart?"

Now, I've met Joe Stewart and he's a real nice guy. I just didn't know he was a contractor! So he came out and said he could do it for under $300 and that includes two doors we can have for $50 (see photo)...And he's going to do it next week! I can hardly wait! Oh, then, today, I finally got the quote from the original contractor. His wanted $600 just to cut and frame the door (we'd have to buy the trim, etc.). View attachment 444184
Such a lucky find sometimes it’s who we know haha